IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My first 3m di-noc project

Old 05-01-12, 04:51 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. How does it compare to the front texallium?

From your last pic it looks like your perforated seats have leather cleaner stuck in the holes. If yeah, get a safety pin and push the residue in.
Old 05-01-12, 05:23 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a different color all together.
I thought I was not going to like it for two reasons.
1: It doesn't match the front
2: It's fake CF

Once I got it done I am really happy I kept an open mind. It looks good and blends with the seat.
I thought the texallium piece would tie in well with the center console but after seeing it a few times it looked kinda loud to me.

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Looks good. How does it compare to the front texallium?
I know! I never noticed it before. I don't know if it's the flash or leather cleaner. I caught it last night when I posted the pics. I said the same thing...."What is in my seats?"
I'll have to take a look at the seat tonight.

[/QUOTE]
From your last pic it looks like your perforated seats have leather cleaner stuck in the holes. If yeah, get a safety pin and push the residue in.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-01-12, 07:32 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COuld you post the exact code of Di Noc you have? It looks like it has a lot more SHINE to it, than mine does. Looks almost wet. Unless it is the flash.
Old 05-01-12, 08:45 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a closeup video I found for the 3M film. CA-418 seems to be the closest to our aluminum/texalium trim of our interiors...something to consider

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-01-12 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 09:32 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
It really is easy to take out. There are to tabs at the front of the seat. One at the center of each cushion where it meets the floor. You pull up on those and the seat comes loose. Slip the seat belt buckles out and your done. Flip tge seat up and you'll see that the tray then unclips from the frame.
It takes a minute or less for the entire process.
Do you pull straight up or up and out? Also how was it getting the F logo out of the console? Removing the rear seats would be a good diy write up with pics..
Old 05-01-12, 10:01 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

You pull straight up to unclip the seat and then lift up and slip the back of the seat out.
I'm going to take it back out to for REV2 so I'll take a quick video. It's raining out up here today and my garage is full. If I can find the timebtomorrow night I'll do it.
The F emblem comes out with no effort. I had thought it was taped down but it's not. It has 2 little clips that come right out.
Old 05-01-12, 10:02 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Gloss Black 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber DINOC Flex Wrap
CA-1170 48"x12"

Originally Posted by fleadog99
COuld you post the exact code of Di Noc you have? It looks like it has a lot more SHINE to it, than mine does. Looks almost wet. Unless it is the flash.
Old 05-01-12, 11:47 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some helpful hints for you, it seems that your having trouble with the bends, specially inside the tray. It appears that you started from the outside and worked your way towards the center of the tray, causing it to bubble up along the inside of the tray.

The better way to wrap this is to start from the inside of the tray and work your way outwards. This ensures that you have plenty of material so that it doesn't need to bubble up in the center. You can heat up the material pretty well so it bends easier, but I would avoid trying to stretch it too much. When you stretch it a lot, you can see the distortion in the checkered squares.

Just a couple of hints I have learned from using this material, gl with your next try
Old 05-01-12, 11:59 AM
homichael
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome.
Old 05-01-12, 04:42 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Some helpful hints for you, it seems that your having trouble with the bends, specially inside the tray. It appears that you started from the outside and worked your way towards the center of the tray, causing it to bubble up along the inside of the tray.

The better way to wrap this is to start from the inside of the tray and work your way outwards. This ensures that you have plenty of material so that it doesn't need to bubble up in the center. You can heat up the material pretty well so it bends easier, but I would avoid trying to stretch it too much. When you stretch it a lot, you can see the distortion in the checkered squares.

Just a couple of hints I have learned from using this material, gl with your next try

I started from just forward of the cup in the tray and ran down over the cupped portion to try to work my way back through the middle. I had an issue with the material staying stuck in the cupped area. Every time I worked one corner with heat the other would lift. Do you think that is because I didn't use the primer?
Also, do you usually preheat the material? I watched some videos and that seems to be a popular practice. It looks much more pliable when warm but seems to cool quickly.
Old 05-01-12, 04:43 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by homichael
Looks awesome.
Thanks! Hopefully it looks more awesome when I try again
Old 05-01-12, 05:08 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is eBay still the cheapest place for this material?
Old 05-05-12, 02:17 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

That looks pretty good. I might consider this, too.
Old 05-07-12, 09:28 PM
Straightik
Rookie

I did my Fog light covers last weekend with the D-Noc and was actually pretty happy with the results. I had the same issues as far as working it around rounded edges. The more heat the better was my saving grace, and my second fog turned out 10 times better.

Cheers!
Old 05-13-12, 11:48 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Success!!!
Second time came out MUCH better!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first 3m di-noc project