IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TRACK w/ISF & GT3 (pics & video)

Old 04-08-12, 04:00 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRACK w/ISF & GT3 (pics & video)

Took the ISF out to the track for the first time ever. Have had only one past day at the Ridge Motorsports Park with the GT3. Here are some pictures from this past Friday with the ISF & GT3.

So, I've have been unhappy with the ISF's lack of traction until I changed from MPS1's to MPSS. The car transformed. I had enough confidence to drive the car more than 7/10ths now.

Was not sure what to expect (cautiously optimistic), but this car blew me away looking back at video and my memories with it. I took it out for my first session of the day for 45min of track time.

ACCELERATION - ISF > GT3 out of low speed turns. The torque on the ISF was a huge difference. This track rewards high torque cars with corners 4/5, 8a/b, 11 & 15. GTR's, GT2's, Vipers and Vettes make way on my GT3 on each of these corners. 317 lbs/ft of torque for the 2010 GT3 (pitiful in comparison). Power came on both cars very predictably and linear. I thought I got over forced induction cars, but with this RMSP track - I'm tempted with the power advantage.

SPEED - I ended up at 220km/hr prior to braking into turn 1. My GT3 ended up around 238km/hr. On my last track day, I hit 245km/hr pushing to catch the GT2. GT2 told me he hit over 270km/hr (?!).

HANDLING - ISF had more body roll (duh). However, nowhere close to what I would have expected. With the MPSS, the car was confidence inspiring. No real comparison. Transitions from L to R load or vice versa obviously was distant to the GT3.

TIRES - for dry grip, I don't have an apples to apples comparison. However, it is obvious to me that the MPSS on the ISF communicated noticeably better nearing its grip limit (you can hear them! Reminded me of the MXX3's back in the day) versus the RE11's on my GT3. I would replace the RE11's with MPSS next. MPSS put the power down to the ISF impeccably. Seriously shocked.

BRAKES - I am on race pads (Pagid Yellow SR29s) on the GT3. The brakes are perfect on the car and I gain in braking zones with the best of them. Great feel, consistency, no fade, predictable. I was expecting the ISF to have mushy brakes after 3-5laps,... NOPE, that didn't happen. They were consistent and predictable. VERY impressed.

RELIABILITY - nothing felt shaky on the ISF, no overheating of any fluids, felt bulletproof like my GT3. Very impressed.

FUN FACTOR - I would take my ISF out to terrorize people. Everyone I passed felt pretty embarrassed. You guys would have loved the comments from everyone after the first session. "So, that's a Lexus?!"; "What is that car? It's really quick?"; "You must be on R-compounds, modded, etc..." It was pretty funny.

CONCLUSION - I had no idea how quick I was in the Lexus. I just had a good time and trying to get one clean lap for you guys. I now have looked at the video and I'm seriously shocked. I am running ~2:04 lap at the Ridge (approximation from GoPro video time) and with that same comparison, I am at ~2:00 lap with the GT3. I never got any clean laps with the GT3 this weekend, so can't compare same conditions (it was slightly wet my first day out with the GT3). There's probably a +/- 2 seconds to these times as they are raw estimates with GoPro footage.

Video of my quickest clean lap with the car:

Video playing with Lotus Elise, 997.1 GT3, modded Mustang

One video for CL members - passing cars with ISF (never gets boring!)

Let me know what else you guys want to know. I'll add to this post if you guys give me key words. Thanks for getting me to get this out on the track. I think I am faster in the ISF than some friends in their GT3 RS'. I'll go out to try and see if I am right next time.

Finally, ending the day with good 'ol comfort food:

Last edited by SSTHO; 04-08-12 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 04:23 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Awesome times and videos
Old 04-08-12, 04:28 PM
tinbui
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing lov ISF
Old 04-08-12, 04:33 PM
jchong
Driver

Nice lineup! I am jealous!
Old 04-08-12, 04:34 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice vids
Old 04-08-12, 04:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like a great time! Do you have the cam mounted to the dash? Wherever it is I think it's perfect with the field of view and it doesn't pick up much wind noise.
Old 04-08-12, 05:14 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

told you the F wouldn't disappoint
Old 04-08-12, 06:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for sharing!
Old 04-08-12, 07:24 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Definitely cool to see both beasts on the track.
Old 04-08-12, 07:48 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet vids man! I took my car through the canyons today chasing a Porsche turbo, vette, porsche 4s, NSX and viper it hung right with them it was a blast ... I hope I can get mine to the track one of these days too
Old 04-08-12, 07:50 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by caymandive
Looks like a great time! Do you have the cam mounted to the dash? Wherever it is I think it's perfect with the field of view and it doesn't pick up much wind noise.
Thanks guys - it was fun! Tires changed my dislike to love for the car.

I mounted the GoPro with the suction mount hanging upside down from the rear view mirror. Bought the overpriced $80 LCD screen to help preview. I'll try to get a picture from my GT3 roll bar camera mount to show you. I tried to make a comparison video between the 2 cars, but this VideoSpirit software was crashing on me.

Last edited by SSTHO; 04-08-12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 08:20 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a smile on my face the whole time watching these vids
Old 04-08-12, 08:57 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Nice! I drove out there on Saturday (beautiful day!) to see if I could catch a glimpse of the track. I didn't realize the pits/entrance were still dirt, so I turned around lol.

Reading on the site am I correct that the HP driving events require some prior instruction training before attendance?

I'll eventually get the F actually on the track this spring... just hoping to get a different tire setup and some training.

Nice vids!
Old 04-08-12, 09:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

wow great write up!!
Old 04-08-12, 09:23 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Nice! I drove out there on Saturday (beautiful day!) to see if I could catch a glimpse of the track. I didn't realize the pits/entrance were still dirt, so I turned around lol.

Reading on the site am I correct that the HP driving events require some prior instruction training before attendance?

I'll eventually get the F actually on the track this spring... just hoping to get a different tire setup and some training.

Nice vids!
Sadly, they didn't pave the road yet as it's a WIP. They were scheduled for pavers, but the rain in the past weeks kept them from starting the work. Friday, we had less than 35 cars. You should have seen 100 - 120 cars at the PCA event on Saturday.I would never park my car with hot tires on unpaved gravel?! I got there early and set up my stuff to claim my spot for the day.

Yes, sufficient track experience is required for running solo. I suggest you request for Pete. I got instruction for the first half of my first day there from him and he was fantastic. I wanted to learn a pro's opinion on the optimal line and then tweak it before developing bad habits. You'll have a lot more fun as well.

Some Vancouver P-car friends are heading on April 27th. I think I'm going to take the ISF to see if I can take them on. I admit I am quite intrigued about the potential with the ISF.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRACK w/ISF & GT3 (pics & video)