IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Post - Traction?

Old 03-16-12, 10:52 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post - Traction?

Here's my first post on CL.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now,...

I have bought a 2010 Lexus ISF new and I have always experienced issues with traction on the car. This is my wife's car (I would have preferred an M3 > C63 > S4), but I get quite annoyed with how disconnected to the road I feel in this car.

For example, when I am WOT in sport mode, wheel spin is inevitable. Certainly from a stand still, but even when I am cruising at 60km/kr. I find this car horrible in the wet as well when I am making slow 90 degree RH & LH turns in parking lots.

I'm almost afraid to drive this car in the rain.

I am on MPS One tires, 40 PSI all around.

Curious to hear what others think about the car's traction? Any any noticeable popular mods that have helped this issue. TIA
Old 03-16-12, 10:58 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

your psi should be 36 all around, turn off traction control. 1st to 2nd gear will spin. also check your tire wear and your alignment. i hope mps means Michelin Pilot Sport. if those are wearing out get Michelins super sport, its cheaper and better on traction.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 03-16-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-16-12, 11:00 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL AND~ first post should have pics of your car
Old 03-16-12, 11:02 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

^^i agree!
Old 03-16-12, 11:13 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First time I hear that kind of complain, especially since you didn't mention anything about VDC which means that it's still enabled. There might be something wrong with your car, have you taken it to the dealer for an inspection?
Old 03-16-12, 11:15 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
your psi should be 36 all around, turn off traction control. 1st to 2nd gear will spin. also check your tire wear and your alignment. i hope mps means Michelin Pilot Sport. if those are wearing out get Michelins super sport, its cheaper and better on traction.
Thanks - will try 36 PSI. Funny how I never think of alignment for the ISF when I all I think about is alignment for my car,... LOL.

Yes - MPS = Michelin Pilot Sport Ones. Been hearing good things about the Super Sports. With people saying they are betweeen the MPS2s (great all round tire, loved them) and the MPSCs (not usable in the rain). I have never been on another tire on the ISF for an apples to apples comparison.

I am running Bridgestone RE11's on my car and love them for the good dry traction, decent driver feedback, and magic in the rain (low cost as well). Just went on tire rack and saw MPS2's and MPSSs are tire options for OEM rims. Any other choices to recommend?

Also, any specific alignment settings people find work best?

I uploaded a picture of the car in my avatar. I'll need to figure out how to post a picture though! Thanks.
Old 03-16-12, 11:15 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Sounds like what you want is an AWD car. High HP RWD cars are going to have some amount of traction issues. It's controlling that (and unleashing it sometimes) which becomes fun. I imagine the C63 would be much worse in that regard.

Aside from leaving sport mode turned off, your best bet is to upgrade the tires. Perhaps go wider as well.
Old 03-16-12, 11:16 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
First time I hear that kind of complain, especially since you didn't mention anything about VDC which means that it's still enabled. There might be something wrong with your car, have you taken it to the dealer for an inspection?
His description sounds perfectly normal. I have a low mileage F and definitely if I floor it from a stand still with sport mode, the wheels spin for a bit and the back end slides a bit. Even more so during turns.
Old 03-16-12, 11:17 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
We just hit 16,000kms on the car and will take it to the dealer for regular service work. Looking for alignment specs and was going to bring this up with them. I am rather unsatisfied with the car's performance, but the reliability has been second to none (major reason why my wife insisted going Japanese over German).

Yes, I do not disable any of the driving aids. When I have, the issue worsens.
Old 03-16-12, 11:21 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd your traction control working? How r your tires wearing? When I had my MPS's they were horrible when they were low on tread.

The other day I tired to loose control on a wet empty road and the car handled excellent....it stayed straight and poised.

Btw I have the upsized Conti DWs
Old 03-16-12, 11:36 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I'd your traction control working? How r your tires wearing? When I had my MPS's they were horrible when they were low on tread.

The other day I tired to loose control on a wet empty road and the car handled excellent....it stayed straight and poised.

Btw I have the upsized Conti DWs
What are the sizes when you mean "upsized"?
Old 03-16-12, 11:42 AM
J2K
Pole Position

^^^ Probably 285/30/19 for the rears
Old 03-16-12, 11:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
What are the sizes when you mean "upsized"?
Mr. Beans running the same setup as I am. 245/35/19 in front and 285/30/19 in the rears. That change greatly improves dry handling.

Lou
Old 03-16-12, 12:03 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

same here, running the Lou setup with Continentals. my suggestion would be to look at your tire wear because those michelins wear kind of fast I believe. Your best bet is to lower the pressure, which might be causing your tires to wear on the edges and affects traction.
Old 03-16-12, 12:12 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Maybe your wife better stick to driving it, it is a lot of car to handle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Post - Traction?