IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F first sport sedan with 8spd auto now F30 328 & 335 BMW following suit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 02:01 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts
Default IS-F first sport sedan with 8spd auto now F30 328 & 335 BMW following suit

I find it quite ironic that when IS-F first came out how much criticism it received because it had auto with 8spd transmission, remember how everyone said two gear to many and what was Lexus thinks when installing that transmission into IS-F how it need a proper manual trans not some automatic; especially BMW fanboys how they ripped IS-F which I find funny since most M3 owner get DCT which to me is just twin clutch auto no matter what spin you put on it but that another story. Now the latest sport sedan to have similar set is F30 series BMW's 328 and 335 and what's really ironic how so many Auto magazines and BMW owner are praising 8spd auto tranny these are two quotes from threads in one BMW forums

"dang that Auto 8 Speed sport tranny shifts fast and smooth. seems like it may be faster than manual now plus MPG are the same and in some cases are now better."

"I have to concede, and i am here openly admitting that the new F30 automatic transmission is very very good... i would be proud to have that 8AT ! I have no doubt about all the qualities and benefits of it over the standard transmission."

And lets face it I bet 75% of F30 owner will opt for 8spd auto. Now I'm not bashing here I like the new design it looks like slightly smaller 5 series, 328 4cyd turbo has put out some nice numbers and received very good reviews so has 335 and they now they see the benefits of 8spd auto set some thing we've known since 2008 now isn't that funny.

Motor trend review of 335
http://youtu.be/HLZA83XfIyI
Old 02-28-12, 02:40 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, great point, and let's not forget that the "fake" exhaust tips that all the fanboys bash on the ISF are now standard design element on the 7. Oh wait, that's not a performance car so it's ok. Oh wait, it looks good so it's ok. ha ha
Old 02-28-12, 03:04 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly. Every single car manufacturer out there is now implementing the 8-speed tranny... took them long enough to figure out ways to achieve great gas mileage in conjunction with performance.
Old 02-28-12, 03:43 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Yup, great point, and let's not forget that the "fake" exhaust tips that all the fanboys bash on the ISF are now standard design element on the 7. Oh wait, that's not a performance car so it's ok. Oh wait, it looks good so it's ok. ha ha
Great point Lexus will be always first with the 8 speed auto. Oh yeah don't forget the Ferrari California has "fake tips" too. Lexus had the guts to introduce these concepts into the automobile industry like Audi has with the LED daytime running lights. Everyone copies from the original.
Old 02-28-12, 04:00 PM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haters gonna hates
Old 02-28-12, 04:22 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleepyray
haters gonna hates
ALL trashed the ISF, hardest by BMW guys! Now the BMW guys are talking like they were the first to have the 8-speed! haha, Owell everyone copies everyone at one time.
Old 02-28-12, 09:06 PM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the new 328. Very smooth transmission that's for sure but I'm not sold on the 2.0. The power delivery is smooth with no turbo lag but doesn't sound as good as the old straight sixes. Can't wait to see what they do with the new M3 though...
Old 02-28-12, 10:46 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I too find it very funny. I still see today that the one major drawbacks of the ISF is no manual transmission option. That is one of the reasons I bought the ISF so I wouldn't have to shift. I got so tired of shifting with my previous manual tranny. I also didn't like trying to go through the gears fast in a race and miss a gear. This 8 speed we have is lightning fast and exactly what I wanted it to be.

I also find the too many gears complaint weak. I do not find my car to be always "hunting" for the right gear. I think these are statements that people and "experts" make so they don't get hardcore flamed by everyone they know and want to save face.
Old 02-29-12, 02:15 AM
LBmtb
Driver

R8 has 'fake' tips as well.
Old 02-29-12, 03:28 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
I too find it very funny. I still see today that the one major drawbacks of the ISF is no manual transmission option. That is one of the reasons I bought the ISF so I wouldn't have to shift. I got so tired of shifting with my previous manual tranny. I also didn't like trying to go through the gears fast in a race and miss a gear. This 8 speed we have is lightning fast and exactly what I wanted it to be.

I also find the too many gears complaint weak. I do not find my car to be always "hunting" for the right gear. I think these are statements that people and "experts" make so they don't get hardcore flamed by everyone they know and want to save face.
Same here! If the ISF was a Manuel I would have not bought it! I love stick to drive for 1hr a week but other than that AUTO! I understand you want the feel of a stick but most don't. Also people also talk about have a Manuel for tracking but 99% of people don't track!

I never tracked and probably never will, so I see why Lexus won't offer a Manuel. If demand was there, Lexus would offer it.
Old 02-29-12, 04:05 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LBmtb
R8 has 'fake' tips as well.
fake is a bad word for us
ours are functional and provide downforce
Old 02-29-12, 04:19 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

I'm glad we got a some what conventional auto in our F's, the DSG boxes have some issues!
At least we don't get the HUGE service bills for oil change like the GTR's do!

I love manual boxes, but auto is just all too easy. I just don't really like the lag time from putting your foot down, to the car choosing a gear, then taking off.
Old 02-29-12, 06:17 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can reduce that by using a throttle controller. I use the Tom's and ALWAYS have it in sport mode and on SP3. It is really sensitive now. Whe I get into other cars, like my wife's IS250C, I am always looking for that throttle response that the TC gives me.
Old 02-29-12, 06:27 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexyISF
I'm glad we got a some what conventional auto in our F's, the DSG boxes have some issues!
At least we don't get the HUGE service bills for oil change like the GTR's do!

I love manual boxes, but auto is just all too easy. I just don't really like the lag time from putting your foot down, to the car choosing a gear, then taking off.
Yea there is a lag sometimes. You can switch to the paddles or put it in sport. The lag usually occurs when your already cruising and the car switches to the 8Th gear to save gas.
Old 02-29-12, 06:33 AM
LexFather

Its hilarious b/c Lexus was bashed for having 'too many gears its stupid" and now the competition is catching up and its "this is the future, if you don't have 8 speeds you stupid"

Gotta love it lol

Quick Reply: IS-F first sport sedan with 8spd auto now F30 328 & 335 BMW following suit