IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 Mark Levinson stereo upgrade / build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 06:36 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the amp is on a late train (UPS), so I haven't received it yet and looks like it's lost in Texas somewhere (poor amp). I did get my Polk Audio components in yesteryday and got them installed. This ended up being a major pain in the butt as the cutouts in the door are too big for the brackets with the speaker. I ended up taking the ML spearkers out of their bracket and had to file a few parts on them for a flush fitment. I then used some E600 adhesive to glue the speakers into the bracket (screws didn't line up). I took some screws and drilled them down thru the speakers holes. UGH! I was nervous about doing this but it actually turned out very nice! Also, I had planned on putting the Polk tweeters where the small 3" mids are, but turns out they fit perfectly in the stock tweeter location and in my opinion are a better spot for them. I also had to glue them in as well, but everything looks stock. I didn't take any pictures, but if for some reason if I have to take the door back apart I will. Now if that amp would get here, I could listen to them!
Old 02-25-12, 06:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Here's that amp I bought that will run EVERYTHING. It's powering the 6.5 midwoofers on 2 channels, tweeters on 2 channels, and the sub will get 400 watts @ 2 ohms on the last channel. The components are 2.7 ohms so I figure about 90 watts to all of them.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PAD5000.5.html

And here are the speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM6501.html
Old 02-27-12, 05:33 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Amp came in today and it's been frustrating. I was running the new speakers off the stock amp and it sounded very good. I'm working on it tonight and have hooked up the amp and the LC6i. There is a LOT of static on the bass notes and a loud buzz. I have the gain turned all the way down on the amp. I've double checked polarity on all speakers. I'm just completely stumped. Anyone have a clue as to what I might check next? I'm going back to reading the manuals at this point, specifically the LC6i.
Old 02-27-12, 05:55 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Ok, figured out the distortion was from the gain settings on the LC6i. Now I have a hiss in the speakers even when I turn the audio off. Hmmm....
Old 02-27-12, 07:14 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This hiss is most likely due to the 12V turn-on cable you ran to the amp. The amp is on all the time even when the radio is off. Try using the GTO function of the LC6i. If it works, the hiss should disappear.
Old 02-27-12, 07:47 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

GTO is a no go. Doesn't work. The more gain I turn up on the amp, the more hiss. Unfortunately even when turning the audio off. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 02-28-12, 05:17 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
GTO is a no go. Doesn't work. The more gain I turn up on the amp, the more hiss. Unfortunately even when turning the audio off. Not sure what to do at this point.
I already warned u about the lc6. Stop waisting time with it.
Old 02-28-12, 08:06 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

The higher I set the gains on the LC6i, the more hiss I get. Conversly, if I set the gains lower on the LC6i the hiss goes down, but I have to compensate with the gains on the amp (by turning them up) and the hiss comes back. Is this hiss sound something that's just going to be apparent or is there a way to get rid of it?
Old 02-28-12, 09:51 AM
chris6878
Advanced

I have a slight engine noise hiss in mine when the music volume is off but when I turn the volume passed 1 I get no hiss. U have no way to eq the system now.
Old 02-28-12, 10:17 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris6878
I have a slight engine noise hiss in mine when the music volume is off but when I turn the volume passed 1 I get no hiss. U have no way to eq the system now.
Yeah, same problem. Only notice the hiss on zero volume. If I turn it up, it's gone. Just wondering if there's a way to get rid of the hiss at zero volume, or is that just something that's going to be there? Other than that, everything seems to be pretty good. As far as eq, the head unit still works, but it's limited to the obvious 3 bands.
Old 02-28-12, 11:13 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Just noticed something interesting on my lunch break. When connecting my factory sub wires (brown and lime green) to the LC6i, it's outputting a high frequency. I even took the sum jumper of to test it. I'm curious to know if the LC6i is able to take 1 set of speaker inputs into just a left or right now and work like that? So, essentially, I'm not getting the low sub frequencies. Noticed this when setting the low pass filter to around 60hz and hardly anything was coming out of the sub even at maximum gain settings. Maybe I should just hook the sub into a cheap scosche LOC and run that to the amp and just do the compenants off the LC6i. Oh the joy!
Old 02-28-12, 01:49 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey btw what size t-taps r u using?? does anyone know the size of the wires?? would 12-10 gauge t-taps work?

Last edited by mikelexF; 02-28-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:55 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikelexF
hey btw what size t-taps r u using?? does anyone know the size of the wires?? would 12-10 gauge t-taps work?
The blue ones. I think they're like 12-18 gauge.
Old 02-28-12, 04:24 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Just noticed something interesting on my lunch break. When connecting my factory sub wires (brown and lime green) to the LC6i, it's outputting a high frequency. I even took the sum jumper of to test it. I'm curious to know if the LC6i is able to take 1 set of speaker inputs into just a left or right now and work like that? So, essentially, I'm not getting the low sub frequencies. Noticed this when setting the low pass filter to around 60hz and hardly anything was coming out of the sub even at maximum gain settings. Maybe I should just hook the sub into a cheap scosche LOC and run that to the amp and just do the compenants off the LC6i. Oh the joy!
So your getting voices and other music from your sub? Sounds like the problem I had with mine. U know high frequencies can kill your sub. Lol give up on the lc6i or lose your sub.

The nine noise may be there. It doesn't bother me cause my exhaust drowns it out
Old 02-29-12, 05:46 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Starting to agree with you Chris. I ran the subwoofer through a scosche LOC and it works perfectly. Don't understand what the deal is with the LC6i. I'll probably just run this setup for awhile and then just buy a MS8 down the road. For the people that don't tap the stock sub frequencies....you're really missing out. Ask me how I know?

Quick Reply: 2011 Mark Levinson stereo upgrade / build