IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 09:11 AM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?

and either been happy or unhappy?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2010 C63 sedan, and I began to remember that I have been with BMW for almost 20 years, Plus, since I have researched the ISF, it is just not as smart or appealing. Plus, It makes me feel like old guy.

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

I was again thinking about the 2010 DCT M3, 4 dr with the new I-Drive, but M3 is samll. Can't even keep my legs straight without hitting the center Cowl with my right leg. Have to sit crooked, and steering wheel is not center of body.

I really can't get enough seat time to really know if I will like the C63 on every road, and every situation, but the ISF made me feel happy from the first drive.

I was happy with the E39 M5, but I really don't want to shift anymore. Plus, the M5 always had thing's to fix, and I had to have it balanced by 3 different shops to remove annoying vibrations, and had to replace interior parts constantly.

The New M5 is really too complicated and just too much that i don't want or need.

Then I saw the ISF at a Local Lexus Dealer in Fremont, CA. and after a Test Drive I was really happy with it! And that hasn't happened since the E39 M5.

The ISF was really composed, accurate, and felt solid. Touch Screen, Cool dash, nice seats, big trunk, and Impressive styling. Good gas mileage, 16-23mpg Well mannered, lots of power, comfortable, stops Quik! It also appears to have the same or better Build Quality as my Tacoma. No Problems, just put in Gas and change oil.

The newer models after 2011 on, are better designed than previous, and Lexus is the least problematic of all brands i was considering.

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
-
- Lexus 86 prob's per 100 Vehicles.

-
- BMW 142 prob's per 100 Vehicles.

-
- Mercedes 128 prob's per 100 Vehicles.
-

So, as My first post I would like to introduce myself, and say that I'm saving up all my pennies and learning here while im at it, to get a 2011 or later ISF.

>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<

P.S I can't post a signature so I'll just type my past cars below...

Future Vehicle:
2011 ISF

Current:
2008 Toyota tacoma
2005 Toyota Highlander (wife)
1999 MasterCraft V-210 330hp

Past Vehicles:
2002 E39 M5 Carbon Black (sold)
2001 E53 X5 Jet Balck (sold)
1999 E36 M3 (sold)
2001 E39 540 (sold)
2001 E39 M5 (sold)
2000 E39 540 (sold)
1995 E36 M3 (sold)

Old 02-22-12, 09:52 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Given that Lexus has brought the ISF up to par with the M3, I think you will be extremely pleased and regret nothing.
My service guys have always been great, and I have gotten so much free work done simply by asking them to take care of it. It's been a great experience.
Old 02-22-12, 09:53 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome, I know there is at least 2 people who have owned BMW M3 on this forum that moved onto an ISF. There are probably more but I notice 2. I say get the 2012 as they have better wheels styling and I think the rears wheels are a bit wider.
Old 02-22-12, 11:26 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I can only comment on the 08 IS-F and the newest M3 Sedan (6spd).

I drove both and found that the M3 Sedan had better turn in and seemed to be "faster" than the IS-F.

However, I noticed that the M3 had to be really revved out to get the car to go, where as the IS-F had a bit more lower end power.

I went with the Lexus due to price and reliability. I had never owned a BMW before and was scared off about the electronic gremlins stories that I heard.
Old 02-22-12, 11:30 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a honda guy my whole life and my most recent list of cars starting back at the Integra Type R. I loved the car, what a great feeling driving that thing. It took a beating and kept on going. From there, I jumped up to a 2006 BMW M Roadster. I still own this car but don't care for it what so ever. The car has plenty of power (330HP) but doesnt thrill me. After the novelty of the convertible roof wore off, I don't care to drop the top any longer. The car never did excite me as did my Type R. I get no *** kicking thrill as the Type R gave me, the R was in my opinion a much better drive factor in every way possible. (Waiting for the BMW guys to chime in and bash me) Moving on, I recently picked up a 2008 Lexus ISF and let me tell you this car kicks serious ***. I get that thrill of driving again, the enjoyment and peice of mind of reliability. When I hit the gas I get butterflies when the secondaries open. I love this car and will stay with Toyota/Lexus from now on. Anybody want to buy an M Roadster?

Last edited by Compthis; 02-22-12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 11:57 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz

seemed to be "faster" than the IS-F.

However, I noticed that the M3 had to be really revved out to get the car to go, where as the IS-F had a bit more lower end power.
Wait what? The MAIN complaint when it comes to the IS-F is that all of it's torwue is at it's top end when compared against BMW (who have been famous for low end torque since the brand came out)

I think I get what ou mean though when I look at drag races between the m3 and IS-F. The IS-F ALWAYS pulls out in front in the first two hundred feet and the BMW makes up the distance and has passed by the end of the 1/4. Again this is only on comparitive 2008 models...
Old 02-22-12, 12:06 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Compthis
I have been a honda guy my whole life and my most recent list of cars starting back at the Integra Type R. I loved the car, what a great feeling driving that thing. It took a beating and kept on going. From there, I jumped up to a 2006 BMW M Roadster. I still own this car but don't care for it what so ever. The car has plenty of power (330HP) but doesnt thrill me. After the novelty of the convertible roof wore off, I don't care to drop the top any longer. The car never did excite me as did my Type R. I get no *** kicking thrill as the Type R gave me, the R was in my opinion a much better drive factor in every way possible. (Waiting for the BMW guys to chime in and bash me) Moving on, I recently picked up a 2008 Lexus ISF and let me tell you this car kicks serious ***. I get that thrill of driving again, the enjoyment and peice of mind of reliability. When I hit the gas I get butterflies when the secondaries open. I love this car and will stay with Toyota/Lexus from now on. Anybody want to buy an M Roadster?
You're talking about the M version of the Z right? I've always heard those were one of the best cars put out by BMW. Ridiculously solid and compotent in the highspeed turns. Maybe you're just not pushing the car hard enough? Then again it could be the swap over from the more flighty, dancing feeling of JDM cars vs. the rock solid stance of German cars. Most people prefer the latter because, to the average driver, it makes you feel like you're a better driver, pretty much just point and click.
Conversly Honda/Nissan (outside the GT-R) and Toyota drivers go through turns that send much more feedback to the driver which can disconcert some people. especially because many JDM performance cars need to be told what to do rather than relied on to do it FOR the driver.
This is coming from joe schmoe me of course, my Humble Opinion. on the two platforms.
Old 02-22-12, 12:09 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked the driving dynamics of the M3 and the interior a little bit more, but the low end power and the thought in the back of your head that your driving a Toyota vehicle with the best reliability takes the cake for me. Both are great cars but honestly ( and I know everybody says this) the low tq in the M is a deal breaker for me...I love me some tq
Old 02-22-12, 03:17 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

I switched to the ISF from an E46 M3 back in October 2010. My initial feelings are pretty much the same feelings as I have today. I have piece of mind knowing I have Toyota reliability. Power is more than adequate in the ISF, and creature comfort and amenities are superior. The only things I miss from ///M cars is a manual gearbox and the feeling of being directly connected to the road. I don't miss the cracked subframes, crazy GPS, VANOS failure, etc that plagued the E46 M3.
Old 02-22-12, 04:11 PM
djhydro
Driver

ME!. I had an M3 and loved it great car but Lexus ISF is Baws! Even my boy regrets getting the E92 after driving mine and seeing how rare it is. ISF catches far more love than many other cars just because it's rare. I never really thought about this car much until I came across a few pictures and it was love at first sight. Even at the meets people come up to my car and show a lot of love. One ISF gets more love than 3+ M3s at local meets.
Old 02-22-12, 04:12 PM
Legato
Driver

I used to have a 05 M5 and I regret nothing ;-)

The ISF is more fun AND a whole lot smarter (reliability/fuel consumption).

I miss one thing and one thing alone with the M5 and that is the Heads Up display...
Old 02-22-12, 05:17 PM
xjason
Driver

In the end ISF was the choice for me. Before making the choice I drove the C63 amg and E90 M3. The C63 amg had a lot of power, but didn't look as appealing to me. The M3 was very fun to drive, but didn't want to have to deal with any maintenance issues which is typical for bmw.
Old 02-22-12, 05:24 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
Wait what? The MAIN complaint when it comes to the IS-F is that all of it's torwue is at it's top end when compared against BMW (who have been famous for low end torque since the brand came out)

I think I get what ou mean though when I look at drag races between the m3 and IS-F. The IS-F ALWAYS pulls out in front in the first two hundred feet and the BMW makes up the distance and has passed by the end of the 1/4. Again this is only on comparitive 2008 models...
Lol the E92 M3's main problem was the lack of low end torque. It only puts out 295 lbs of torque at like 4k rpm.
Old 02-22-12, 06:06 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
You're talking about the M version of the Z right? I've always heard those were one of the best cars put out by BMW. Ridiculously solid and compotent in the highspeed turns. Maybe you're just not pushing the car hard enough? Then again it could be the swap over from the more flighty, dancing feeling of JDM cars vs. the rock solid stance of German cars. Most people prefer the latter because, to the average driver, it makes you feel like you're a better driver, pretty much just point and click.
Conversly Honda/Nissan (outside the GT-R) and Toyota drivers go through turns that send much more feedback to the driver which can disconcert some people. especially because many JDM performance cars need to be told what to do rather than relied on to do it FOR the driver.
This is coming from joe schmoe me of course, my Humble Opinion. on the two platforms.
I am talking about the Z4 M. You are right, the car is solid and strong and although I have only had few very small issues with the car, it just doesn't do it or me. As for my 5 series, what a pile of junk. The car had such a comfortable ride and was very spacious but it developed a new issue every two weeks. Thank goodness the car was under warranty because it would have made me poor. Out of all the cars I have owned, the comforting ride of the 5 series was top notch, the problem was most of the enjoyable rides took place driving to the dealership for repairs. I'm am done with German cars for good.
Old 02-22-12, 06:16 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a 2005 M3, 2010 M3 and a 2008 ISF at the same time:

As many comparisons that have been done by magazines, I personally feel that they are two totally different cars. The ISF is my daily driver. After a hard day of work when you want a relaxing drive, the ISF gives it to you. The shifts are smooth and the car is quiet (though the shocks could use better rebound). The fit and finish (specially the leather seats) and reliability is amazing. When you want to drive aggressively, simply switch to manual for neck snapping shifts and torque galore.

The M3 is the weekend car when you want to have fun. The handling in the M3 is hands down better. Overall, it is a better driver's car I think.

Both great cars. Any true unbiased car enthusiast can see the merits (and demerits) in each car.

I sold both the Ms and am on my second ISF.

Quick Reply: Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?