IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My New Rear Section Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 09:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Default My New Rear Section Exhaust

Changed the rear section of my exhaust last week. I had a full dual custom before, but the rear had crush bend pipes. The new rear section is Stainless Steel Mandrel Bends and I now have two inlets into the stock mufflers. Have a look and listen.

http://youtu.be/stqr-gE06TM

Lou
Attached Thumbnails My New Rear Section Exhaust-louisf3.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust5s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust7s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust8s.jpg  
Old 02-13-12, 09:45 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't have been easier to just weld on some magnaflows? Seems you did this the hard way...imo
Old 02-13-12, 10:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Nice Lou..!!

Congrats on being the first on letting us see "inside" the OEM muffler.

Just a heads up that the OEM mufflers have direction flow chambers.. So the inlet exhaust gases flow towards the front section, which then flows back through the perforated holes in each chamber and then ultimately flows out of the two smaller cylinder tubes that finally Exit out..
As shown in the cut out window of your muffler..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-13-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 10:27 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good!
Old 02-14-12, 04:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Wouldn't have been easier to just weld on some magnaflows? Seems you did this the hard way...imo
That was an option, but after cutting the stock muffler open, and seeing that it was well designed, we decided that continued use of it was a good thing. My goal was more performance with quietness in the cabin and that has been achieved. IMO, I made the right choice.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Nice Lou..!!

Congrats on being the first on letting us see "inside" the OEM muffler.

Just a heads up that the OEM mufflers have direction flow chambers.. So the inlet exhaust gases flow towards the front section, which then flows back through the perforated holes in each chamber and then ultimately flows out of the two smaller cylinder tubes that finally Exit out..
As shown in the cut out window of your muffler..

~ Joe Z
Thanks Joe. We had that drawing of the muffler before starting on this project. We decided that the secondary 1.75" pipe should go to the out side tube because it appears using that tube would avoid two of the reverse paths under full acceleration and still be able to enjoy near stock sound levels. I believe we achieved that goal.

Lou
Old 02-14-12, 05:38 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
That was an option, but after cutting the stock muffler open, and seeing that it was well designed, we decided that continued use of it was a good thing. My goal was more performance with quietness in the cabin and that has been achieved. IMO, I made the right choice.
Lou,

I'm assuming you're going to go dyno the car again? I know it's been a while and your results won't accurately reflect any gains if any, but if the numbers are no worse or slightly better then i'd say it was a good decision for you.
Old 02-14-12, 08:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Thanks Joe. We had that drawing of the muffler before starting on this project. We decided that the secondary 1.75" pipe should go to the out side tube because it appears using that tube would avoid two of the reverse paths under full acceleration and still be able to enjoy near stock sound levels. I believe we achieved that goal.

Lou
Great to see & hear that you planned ahead..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 02-14-12, 02:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Lou,

I'm assuming you're going to go dyno the car again? I know it's been a while and your results won't accurately reflect any gains if any, but if the numbers are no worse or slightly better then i'd say it was a good decision for you.
Yep, that is the plan

Lou
Old 03-10-12, 07:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Ran new Dynos last week with my new rear and modified mufflers. The results are almost a year apart, so really can't compare, but a good baseline in my mind.

Blue - Stock Exhaust Manifolds and Cats, Modified custom dual exhaust with glass pack resonators, X pipe and stock mufflers, Takeda Intake

Red - As above with PPE Headers and Magnaflow HiFlow Cats

Green - As above with new mandrel bent rear section and dual inlets into stock mufflers

I'm happy with the results, although I was looking for at least 390HP Looks like the improvements come mostly at the top end.

I brought a friend up with me who also has an '08 F. He has PPE headers, no cats, a JoeZ exhaust and an Injen Intake. He had a run of 399+HP with smoothing set to 5. His other two runs were less spectacular because he was running lean and the electronics were retarding his timing.

Edit: To add new Graph for Friend's car compared to mine. He seems to be breathing better at the top end, above 5500 RPM.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails My New Rear Section Exhaust-lousdynos-1s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-louvsjose2-1s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 03-12-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 03:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Edit to add new Graphs.

Lou
Old 03-12-12, 04:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Lou, the graphs look good and my guess is the cats on your car resulted in the top end power difference and your slight advantage in the low to mid-range. You both have similar intakes, but I believe the difference between them can't be ruled out either.

I wonder how a stock intake would have changed things? I did back-to-back 400+whp runs with the stock intake and at 399whp for the other IS-F it may be something to consider if trying to reach the 400's. This car with headers and full catless exhaust seems to do very well this way.

Last edited by caymandive; 03-12-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 06:13 PM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting,would love to hear how your F sounds
Old 03-12-12, 06:18 PM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

May have to go back to stock intake my self getting, a rattle from my air box area.
Old 03-12-12, 07:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ninja10r
Very interesting,would love to hear how your F sounds
Go to the first post - There's a link right under the text above the pics.

Lou
Old 03-12-12, 10:10 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does a setup like this end up costing less than a full exhaust system such as the Joe-Z or ISS Forged?

Quick Reply: My New Rear Section Exhaust