Print Wikipost

ISF front lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 11:39 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fapout
My opinion comes down to what the camber is on the fronts once these are installed. The prevailing problem with springs is that once they're on, your front wheels will be at roughly around -2 degrees with no ability to adjust. You're sacrificing contact patch and quicker tire wear unless you purchase correcting camber plates. So yes, you can lower it for less money but these may be a better option depending on what the camber ends up being.
Hey Fapout, my GT-R buddy just sent me a text about you. Anyway, just got my new car Monday and have begun the research process. So you're saying this bolt kit might be better than say Swift springs as far as camber remaining close to stock? Sorry, I'm know you guys are much more knowledgeable than me...

I'm thinking about just dropping the front of the car as the back seems to be at a good height in stock form.
Old 02-09-12, 11:54 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Hey Fapout, my GT-R buddy just sent me a text about you. Anyway, just got my new car Monday and have begun the research process. So you're saying this bolt kit might be better than say Swift springs as far as camber remaining close to stock? Sorry, I'm know you guys are much more knowledgeable than me...

I'm thinking about just dropping the front of the car as the back seems to be at a good height in stock form.
GTR buddy? Weird. PM me.

As far as dropping the front, I only did the front with some Tein H-Tech springs. It actually worked out well, I bought the springs off a guy on this forum, for some reason it only had 3 in the box. (he said he never opened the box to look at the contents) either way. Didn't matter since I was debating only lowering the front. My rear is at stock height and with my rolled fenders, it clears the 295/25/20 tires that i have. So there's nothing wrong with doing that.
Old 02-09-12, 12:26 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

GTR buddy? Weird. PM me.

As far as dropping the front, I only did the front with some Tein H-Tech springs. It actually worked out well, I bought the springs off a guy on this forum, for some reason it only had 3 in the box. (he said he never opened the box to look at the contents) either way. Didn't matter since I was debating only lowering the front. My rear is at stock height and with my rolled fenders, it clears the 295/25/20 tires that i have. So there's nothing wrong with doing that.
Well the guy I was referring to also had an IS-F....we both had GT-R's and Jeep SRT-8's. I was talking to him about just dropping the front and he mentioned you from clublexus had done that. I'm just wondering how much easier it'd be for an installer to do the bolts as opposed to the springs? Is it an easier job? Also, do you have any pics of your car with the front drop only?
Old 02-09-12, 05:57 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Here's what my Lexus tech told me about this product:

The spacers should be less to install, will try to get you a quote tomorrow. Those spacers will retain stock bump steer (or very close) and change the camber/camber gain slightly. Would guess it work better than springs but on the street you may never see any difference in how it drives.*Can also get camber adjuster*brackets for the upper control arm from lexus if needed.
Old 02-09-12, 10:42 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR buddy? Weird. PM me.

Hey fapout,
He means me. I really like the idea of this kit...especially if it means parts and install come in cheaper overall than a spring kit, with better hope of not wearing through tires. Finding the right alignment specs (especially after the teins) was a constant challenge, and to my eye the teins sat a touch low in the rear.

Can't wait to see some results!

Rm
Old 02-10-12, 06:04 AM
g35cali
Driver

Why not just save up for a set of coilovers...never been a fan of springs or bolt kits
Old 02-10-12, 06:53 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by g35cali
Why not just save up for a set of coilovers...never been a fan of springs or bolt kits
Sometimes people have a budget and would use that money towards go fast mods. Given an unlimited budget, yeah, coilovers are always ideal but alignment/camber issues are still prevalent in both scenarios.

I didn't feel the need for coilovers. I'm satisfied already with how the car handles, the ISF already comes with a pretty good OEM suspension set up. My BMW 335 desperately needed coilovers because the stock suspension was so soft and set more to be comfortable. So it depends on the car. It seems as if OP just wants to drop the front for aesthetic reasons.
Old 02-10-12, 07:18 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Here's what my Lexus tech told me about this product:

The spacers should be less to install, will try to get you a quote tomorrow. Those spacers will retain stock bump steer (or very close) and change the camber/camber gain slightly. Would guess it work better than springs but on the street you may never see any difference in how it drives.*Can also get camber adjuster*brackets for the upper control arm from lexus if needed.
I'm actual happy with ride quality and performance of stock spring for now and when I'm ready to lower F all around and increase my suspension performance I'll go with some KW coilover but for now hopefully this will work.

I to was told basically the same thing by head tech at my Lexus dealership, this may be better route then springs, with positive feed I've received from Lexus tech, Lobuxracer and fapout I have placed order will take pics of install as well as measure difference in camber once kit has been install and observe any driving characteristic that may have changed or remained same.
Old 02-10-12, 07:46 AM
Weapon F

Sometimes people have a budget and would use that money towards go fast mods. Given an unlimited budget, yeah, coilovers are always ideal but alignment/camber issues are still prevalent in both scenarios.

I didn't feel the need for coilovers. I'm satisfied already with how the car handles, the ISF already comes with a pretty good OEM suspension set up. My BMW 335 desperately needed coilovers because the stock suspension was so soft and set more to be comfortable. So it depends on the car. It seems as if OP just wants to drop the front for aesthetic reasons.
+1 like Fapout stated, right now rather put my money into PPE headers that I have recently order then set of quality coilovers. Since I'm not tracking my car at this time it seems like waste of money not to get full benefits of great coilovers, where as I'll diffidently feel benefit of Headers and have more aesthetically please look if it all works out for third of price not to mention have all alignment and camber issue usually associated with lowering car.
Old 02-10-12, 10:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I met with robbys3m3 this morning to look at my 2011 IS-F. We're not positive, but we were thinking that with the new suspension on the 2011 models, the rear seems to sit a bit lower than the 2008-10's. I put my index finger in the gap to measure and it was tight. He seemed to think it was about the same level as his was after his drop with the Teins. 3 fingers easily went into the front gap. Interesting.

davcrz5, give us a heads-up on how quick VIP autosalon gets the parts to you. I've read some stories of people waiting over a year to get aero kits from them. Their site says 3-6 week leadtime on the kit.
Old 02-10-12, 11:02 AM
ItsanF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dav, what size did you order? 15mm or 25mm? I am curious because I think I am going to pick up a set of these. Help us all out and take a few pics. Are you running 235/40/19 in the front? Thanks man.
Old 02-10-12, 01:17 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItsanF
Hey Dav, what size did you order? 15mm or 25mm? I am curious because I think I am going to pick up a set of these. Help us all out and take a few pics. Are you running 235/40/19 in the front? Thanks man.
I believe the kit comes with both options. 15mm and 25mm.
Old 02-10-12, 02:30 PM
Weapon F

I davcrz5, give us a heads-up on how quick VIP autosalon gets the parts to you. I've read some stories of people waiting over a year to get aero kits from them. Their site says 3-6 week leadtime on the kit.
No problem well everyone know when kit arrives.

Originally Posted by ItsanF
Going with 25mm or 1inch drop with factory tires and rims for now.
Old 02-10-12, 03:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I met with robbys3m3 this morning to look at my 2011 IS-F. We're not positive, but we were thinking that with the new suspension on the 2011 models, the rear seems to sit a bit lower than the 2008-10's. I put my index finger in the gap to measure and it was tight. He seemed to think it was about the same level as his was after his drop with the Teins. 3 fingers easily went into the front gap. Interesting.

davcrz5, give us a heads-up on how quick VIP autosalon gets the parts to you. I've read some stories of people waiting over a year to get aero kits from them. Their site says 3-6 week leadtime on the kit.
Not at all true. Ride height front and rear is identical across all model years. If there were any change, the ride height would be different. Wheel gap has very little to do with ride height from car to car and only becomes a discussion point when referring to a single vehicle.

If you dig back in the archives, there were lots of complaints about "unequal" wheel gaps on the 2IS when it first came out, but I guarantee you, the ride height on all those cars was identical. I suspect you're seeing some of the same variances we noted back in 2006.
Old 02-10-12, 08:54 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but, how can the ride height be the same if the wheel gaps are different? Aren't the two correlated somehow? Isn't that like saying I could lessen the wheel gap in the front without changing the ride height. Not being a smart ***....just trying to understand what you're saying.

Quick Reply: ISF front lowering kit