IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

fog overlay DIY

Old 01-10-12, 03:44 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog overlay DIY

Hi, i figure i'd ask here too, since the '11+ IS has same style fogs as the IS-F. For those who put on fog overlay, did you have to take off the black plastic surround to gain access to the entire lens?

I bought the precut aerotect overlay for my '11 IS, but i had trouble getting the wrinkles out of the edge since the edge of the film is now behind the plastic surround, and i couldn't reach it well enough to smooth out the film, so i ended up with wrinkles all around. i ordered another set, but figure this time i might have to cut the 'precut' film smaller so it doesn't get behind the plastic surround, or remove the surround which i think requires me to remove the bumper, which i really don't want to do. Any tips on the easiest way to install the overlay? Thanks.
Old 01-10-12, 04:01 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor22
Hi, i figure i'd ask here too, since the '11+ IS has same style fogs as the IS-F. For those who put on fog overlay, did you have to take off the black plastic surround to gain access to the entire lens?

I bought the precut aerotect overlay for my '11 IS, but i had trouble getting the wrinkles out of the edge since the edge of the film is now behind the plastic surround, and i couldn't reach it well enough to smooth out the film, so i ended up with wrinkles all around. i ordered another set, but figure this time i might have to cut the 'precut' film smaller so it doesn't get behind the plastic surround, or remove the surround which i think requires me to remove the bumper, which i really don't want to do. Any tips on the easiest way to install the overlay? Thanks.
In my experience it is best to completely remove the fog light - you do not need to remove the bumper.
tutorial:
I then cut my Aerotect overlays (smoked Blue) slightly smaller to allow for the film to be pulled to the edges and ensure no wrinkles remain.As the leading edges are covered by the surrounds it does not need to be perfect. However if wrinkles or folds are present - the film will begin to peel off with the addition of heat, moisture and wind (like driving in a rain storm with the fogs turned on)
]

I also allowed for them to cure or dry for 24 - 48 hours and used a heat gun during the installation.

I use a mixture of baby shampoo, water and alcohol with the Aerotect overlays to ensure good activation as it allows some set up time and movement of the film. This will also keep finger prints to a minimum.

Last edited by digger08; 01-10-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 04:48 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine fit fine, no trouble
Old 01-10-12, 08:12 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, and thanks for the details digger08. yeah i saw for the IS-F, you could yank out that fog cover without removing anything else, but i don't think it works the same for the '11 IS. Looks like i'm gonna have to find out if that's possible. In any case, you did help confirm my suspicion that it might not be so straight forward to install with the fog cover still on.