IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Old 11-06-11, 09:21 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PSS are great. Compared to the stock PS2s, they offer more grip while preserving the ride quality. Maybe it helps that I went to 275s They should also last longer, but only time will tell.
Old 11-07-11, 11:15 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmmm...so the theme I'm seeing here is the guys with the wider tires are having more luck. Guess I should go bigger next time.

Question for the wider set guys: have any of you just absolutely floored it from a stand still or even at a decent roll going in a straight line?
Old 11-07-11, 11:31 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember hearing that the PSS dont have the little rim protecting overage lip sticking out from them like the PS2 does, is this true? That has actually saved my wheels a couple times with my PS2s.
Old 11-07-11, 04:26 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Hmmm...so the theme I'm seeing here is the guys with the wider tires are having more luck. Guess I should go bigger next time.

Question for the wider set guys: have any of you just absolutely floored it from a stand still or even at a decent roll going in a straight line?
Ill try and do some video this weekend of straight off the line cold tires from a stop, straight flooring it. They will break loose, but it's very predictable and completely different than my stock bridgestones.
Old 11-07-11, 05:17 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shot
do you like your JoeZ intake? how much noiser is it than stock? performance over stock? thks. shot
It's a little louder than stock but not by much. It very much fits with the characteristic sounds of the IS F.
Old 11-07-11, 07:06 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of guys who race the ISF using Toyo Proxes T1R. I thought they would be really expensive but compared to the PSS they are actually cheaper. The toyo t1r for the front in 225/35ZR19 is actually only 250.00 a tire which is practically a steal. It is 5% thinner than the OEM 40ZR but i dont think theres much of a difference. What do you guys think?
Old 11-08-11, 06:03 AM
TangoC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rhy
The PSS are great. Compared to the stock PS2s, they offer more grip while preserving the ride quality. Maybe it helps that I went to 275s They should also last longer, but only time will tell.
I have the same size PSS's on my IS-F and agree they offer more grip than the PS2's, especially in the wet.

I remember hearing that the PSS dont have the little rim protecting overage lip sticking out from them like the PS2 does, is this true? That has actually saved my wheels a couple times with my PS2s.
The PSS also has the protection lips.

I see a lot of guys who race the ISF using Toyo Proxes T1R. I thought they would be really expensive but compared to the PSS they are actually cheaper. The toyo t1r for the front in 225/35ZR19 is actually only 250.00 a tire which is practically a steal. It is 5% thinner than the OEM 40ZR but i dont think theres much of a difference. What do you guys think?
I switched to Toyo T1-R's on 19" rims (8.5" & 9.5") on my IS250, mainly because they generate a lot less road noise than the original Potenza's. The T1-R is a good tyre, but it's quite soft. On the IS-F I'd say you wouldn't get much road mileage out of them compared to the PSS, so value per buck the PSS is better.
Old 11-08-11, 07:25 AM
lukeisf
Driver

I have the toyo t1r in a 275 and I'm very disappointed with how the ride was. Now I'm going with the continental DW and hope they are better and I only paid 284 for 285
Old 11-08-11, 12:25 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by stratman
Hey shot,

I too went with the PSS tires but upped the width. Fronts are now 245/35/19 and the back are 275/30/19 on stock wheels. They fit perfectly and definitely helped in the handling department as well as offering a better ride (at 36 psi all around) than the stock Potenzas. You can still pull the rear out if you go through a curve and gas it but not nearly as much as with the stock tires and size. For the most part they hold a line really well. I'm also pleased that the gas mileage did not suffer much either; About 0.2 miles per gallon according to the onboard computer's average miles per tank of gas.
By the way, my F is a 2009 Starfire Pearl White with a black (vinyl) top and tinted windows. Only drive train mods are these tires, Joe Z intake and an AFE pro dry S drop-in air filter.
Any cons to up sizing?
Old 11-08-11, 02:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Not in my experience, only Pros. See my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Lou
Old 06-29-12, 07:15 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In the new August issue of Car and Driver, they just ranked the Michelin Pilot Super Sport number one. The top 3 were 1.) Michelin PSS 2.) Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions and 3.) Yokohoma Advan Neova AD08. The were really impressed with the PSS's wet performance.

I'm needing new front tires now and this confirms my choice of going with the PSS.
Old 06-29-12, 07:25 AM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by mikefate
I have them and I love them. They are very predictable and dependable. My 305's in back grab the road like no other tire I've used. I will never go with another tire on this car.
Did you have to mod anything to get the 305's to fit in the rear?
Old 06-29-12, 10:19 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scrosby
Did you have to mod anything to get the 305's to fit in the rear?
I don't think you'll get a reply from Mike. I bought the car from him and I'm not sure that he browses the forum anymore.
To answer your question in his/my behalf the fenders where modded. Mike had rolled and did a light pull on them. When I purchased the car I also decide to purchase the wheels. When I reinstalled them on the car it still had a rubbing issue and was peeling the outer sidewall (more so on the right side) I had to grind the tabs on the bottom edge of the quarter panel and repaint it.
After that it was a lot better but still rubbed at times, more so with a full tank of gas and/or a passenger. I got the Mega Arms from Figs and I have toe links on order, next will be BC/Swift COs.
While I am waiting for the Figs toe links I decided to install an F sport sway bar temporarily and the rub seems to be gone. I tried the car yesterday on a test track that has some turns with elevation change and I had no rub. I think I had it down to cornering load and the sway bar limited the body roll enough to stop it. I'll probably leave the bar installed with the new suspension now that I have it.

If I had to do it from scratch I would probably go with 295s but now that the hard part is done I'm very happy to have the PSS 305s that Mike and Figs had picked out.
That being said I only have the stock Brigestones to compare this tire to on the ISF but I still see no reason to explore other tire options.

I think this will be the next tire that goes on the Supra when the NT05s are worn.
Old 06-29-12, 06:43 PM
jchong
Driver

Does anyone have pictures of this set up?
Old 06-29-12, 07:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-fitment.html

Lou

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires