IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MachV Dyno day results for 3 IS-F's

Old 10-01-11, 05:32 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default MachV Dyno day results for 3 IS-F's

MachV held a Dyno meet today and the first three cars were all IS-F's! CL members TGUI, DS2K and myself were there with various mods as shown below.

All runs were done in 6th gear (Manual Sport Mode)

TGUI-Stock
DS2K- JoeZ intake, PTS JoeZ exhaust with stock mufflers, K&N drop-in filter
caymandive- SIKKY Headers, Borla exhaust

Top runs for TGUI, DS2K and myself overlaid.
Based on the results I suspect DS2K's oiled K&N filter is affecting his MAF.

TGUI's stock run last year with 3500 miles on the odometer compared to today with over 10k miles. Talk about engine break-in!

My best run today overlaid with my previous best. Car is running strong!

My runs from today combined. The 403whp on this stingy dynojet is no fluke.

TGUI's bone stock IS-F vs Header/Exhaust IS-F

Some videos from today:

My 403whp Run

TGUI's stock IS-F (365whp and 349tq)

DS2K's modified IS-F (364whp and 346tq)

Last edited by caymandive; 09-19-13 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Nicer videos added
Old 10-01-11, 07:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Congratulations X 2

Lou
Old 10-01-11, 08:08 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Caymandive. Thanks for the informative data. Must have been a blast to spend time with other f owners and testing the cars out. Just curious though, what made you switch from your original exhaust to the Borla exhaust? Congrats on your numbers too.

Edit: Never mind, I just finished reading your reasoning on your other post.

Last edited by zojirushi; 10-01-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-01-11, 10:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Congrats James..!!

Although it seems this once stingy dyno is no longer stingy...

~ Joe Z
Old 10-01-11, 11:16 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet DS2k was disappointed huh, otherwise good runs!
Old 10-01-11, 11:29 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Agreed. Cayman great run
Old 10-02-11, 05:23 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Yeah I think a little disappointed but probably glad to discover a potential problem with the K&N filter. This is one of the beneficial things you can discover on a dyno day.

Last edited by caymandive; 10-02-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 05:36 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Cant wait to get an exhaust on mine.
Old 10-02-11, 07:55 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

no offence but not gains with joez exhaust + intake is normal. I dynoed 365 stock and 366 with joez exhaust/intake.

Last edited by Rider; 10-02-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 08:11 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rider
no offence but not gains with joez exhaust + intake is normal. I dynoed 365 stock and 366 with joez exhaust/intake.
I have also seen this on others F as well same results
Old 10-02-11, 08:17 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Interesting results - thanks for sharing.

I suspect that there could have been some sort of change in the dyno. It shows a 33HP increase in the stock F and 17HP your F with the same headers and different exhausts.

I don't think that engine break in will give a 10% increase. I don't think that going from a JoeZ to a Borla exhaust will give you an additional 17HP either. Granted there may be a increase but those numbers seem to be a little high to me.

The charts do show the mid-range improvements gained from the headers. That's golden for a street driven car and should be at the top of the mod list.
Old 10-02-11, 08:37 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tenspeed

I suspect that there could have been some sort of change in the dyno. It shows a 33HP increase in the stock F and 17HP your F with the same headers and different exhausts.

I don't think that engine break in will give a 10% increase. I don't think that going from a JoeZ to a Borla exhaust will give you an additional 17HP either. Granted there may be a increase but those numbers seem to be a little high to me.

The charts do show the mid-range improvements gained from the headers. That's golden for a street driven car and should be at the top of the mod list.
Its likely a combination of break in and possible bad gas the first run. The car has been feeling quite strong. I wonder if the heavy handed Lexus ECU engineers decided to place limits on the engine as its breaking in? Probably not.

FWIW, all other car models present at the dyno day were showing spot on numbers for their modifications, as JoeZ seems to be implying calibration issues. This dyno remains a heart breaker of sorts.
Old 10-02-11, 08:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Rider
^^ None taken sir.... and no offense to you, this is NOT normal by any means.!

Originally Posted by Katin2
I have also seen this on others F as well same results
^^ Maybe a couple of documentated cases... But we have dozens or more independent dynos with IS-F owners showing their expected gains across the US and in Europe as well.

But I can assure you we have ZERO control over issues with other aftermarket parts used, dyno shop conditions and variables or worst of all possible issues with an OEM car/engine.. These issues are NOT related to our parts what so ever.

These parts have been dyno proven over and over again... Even by "caymandive" himself..!

Below is an example of a K&N Dyno issue with member "timeToy" and his IS-F from over 2 years ago.
"timeToy" experienced a 20 rwhp loss or NO GAIN due to a K&N drop in filter he installed and dyno’d at the same time he installed the PTS- JoeZ Ehxuast.
He actually even LOST -4 rwhp.

Unfortunately, he edited his first post after we helped him correct the issue over the phone and diagnose the true issue being the filter for him.
He also updated his original post each time he progressed with additional mods or additional dynos.

He removed the oiled filter, cleaned his MAF Sensor and reset the ecu. Then drove a good amount of miles and amazingly within the same week he got back his anticipated 20 rwhp, once he went back for the re-dyno.
I wish he would have keep that original post info for all to see. While posting his progress along the way within the thread.

But here is the dyno to show his documentated issue.

All of these runs were performed with the Stock Intake Pipe:

Blue = IS-F Baseline Bone stock
Red = IS-F w/PTS Exhaust and K&N Drop in Filter
Green = IS-F w/PTS Exhaust and OEM Drop in Filter (MAF Sensor was also cleaned)

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-02-11 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added: "cleaned his MAF Sensor"
Old 10-02-11, 08:51 AM
mr2fast
Driver

most likely the 25 degree difference in ambient air temps
Old 10-02-11, 08:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

No change in the dyno, but the weather conditions are different and even with SAE correction it's not a perfect science which is apparent in my posted charts. I made this post primarily to show a comparison between 3 different IS-F's with varying mods done on the same dyno and same day to rule out as many variables as possible.

I agree you can not conclude a broke-in motor will gain 33hp, but I'm sure he probably picked up at least 15hp and the rest can probably be attributed to the dyno day differences. As for what could be interpreted as a 17hp gain for the Borla exhaust over the PTS JoeZ I too agree that you won't find much if any difference in power as I mention in my dyno thread last week with the Dynapack results. Based on experience I'm almost willing to say the Dynapack is more consistent than the dynojet in terms of SAE correction. I remember last year before headers I had 371whp on the Dynojet. A year later with same mods a few runs were made for a new pre-header baseline and I could only hit 350ish whp. I knew the car wasn't making less power so it could only be attributed to how the dyno was reading on those particular days.

In summary trying to compare dyno results for differing days is completely unreliable. Want to know how your car is running? Compare results on the same day be it with your own car or against a group of same cars as we did at this dyno meet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MachV Dyno day results for 3 IS-F's