IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Apex throttle controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 08:30 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the cover off with a thin flat-head screwdriver and pried it off. Be careful though as my hand slipped and left a scratch right on top of the Apexi switch if you look at my pic.
Then I just routed the cable of the back of the switch down through the empty slot until I could reach from underneath and pull it through to connect it to the main unit or "black box". (Took me almost 5 mins just to get it down there and grab it since it was a pain me using one hand on my cell phone with the flashlight app on to light the area up and see where it was to reach and get it lol.
The only piece I undid was the very bottom piece under the steering column that has the 2 phillips head screws holding it on (1 on each side). Made reaching up to grab the wire through alot easier.
I hid the "black box" behind the carpeting. I was going to use the adhesive to help make the Apexi button stick but I didn't even need to as I made it so the cable doesn't have much slack to make it loose.

Let me know if this answers your questions.
Old 09-27-11, 08:38 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nate008
I took the cover off with a thin flat-head screwdriver and pried it off. Be careful though as my hand slipped and left a scratch right on top of the Apexi switch if you look at my pic.
Then I just routed the cable of the back of the switch down through the empty slot until I could reach from underneath and pull it through to connect it to the main unit or "black box". (Took me almost 5 mins just to get it down there and grab it since it was a pain me using one hand on my cell phone with the flashlight app on to light the area up and see where it was to reach and get it lol.
The only piece I undid was the very bottom piece under the steering column that has the 2 phillips head screws holding it on (1 on each side). Made reaching up to grab the wire through alot easier.
I hid the "black box" behind the carpeting. I was going to use the adhesive to help make the Apexi button stick but I didn't even need to as I made it so the cable doesn't have much slack to make it loose.

Let me know if this answers your questions.
yes.... i got it... thank you..
Old 09-27-11, 09:32 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

No prob boss. All the credit goes to Steven@Vip. Good luck
Old 09-28-11, 08:13 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to understand this device, is the SPORT/SNOW/REGULAR OEM button left out of the picture in terms of throttle control? I mean, does it still work? So let's say you select ECO on the Apexi LTS and SPORT on the OEM button, do they cancel out? What if you go to HIGH THROTTLE on Apexi and SPORT on OEM button, does the throttle get more sensitive?

What does the OEM button control, just throttle position or something else?
Old 09-28-11, 08:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The OEM button changes throttle, skid control (gives you more of the car before it intervenes), and reduces steering assist for more road feel. No aftermarket device will be able to do what the sport button does.
Old 09-28-11, 09:04 AM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Just to understand this device, is the SPORT/SNOW/REGULAR OEM button left out of the picture in terms of throttle control? I mean, does it still work? So let's say you select ECO on the Apexi LTS and SPORT on the OEM button, do they cancel out? What if you go to HIGH THROTTLE on Apexi and SPORT on OEM button, does the throttle get more sensitive?

What does the OEM button control, just throttle position or something else?
The throttle controller just adjusts the sensitivity of your throttle response... That's it... Nothing else... So it works in conjunction with the sport and snow buttons... So to answer ur questions... If u select the Eco mode with the sport button.. U'll get better handling, faster shifts.. But u'll have to put more pressure on the pedal, a little more than usual to get the car to open up... If u use high throttle and sport... U'll get better handling, faster shifts, but ur foot only has to be half way down on the pedal to have ur car in full throttle... I hope this answers ur question.

Last edited by lexuswtf; 09-28-11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-28-11, 09:11 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

@ Juanca- Below are just MY impressions so far. Maybe lexuswtf can give his 2 cents or when VIPAutosalon does their review they can hit these points.

The OEM SPORT mode is def not left out of the picture. Today I used just HIGH THROTTLE setting without SPORT mode enabled and it def picked up on throttle response, however, I then turned on the OEM SPORT mode and got even more sensitive.

I did not try doing one of the ECO settings+SPORT mode. That is a very good question. I will try that next time I go somewhere.

Hope this helps you at least a little.

I do not know what the OEM button controls hopefully someone alot smarter than I will chime in an explain it. I would hope alot of changes occur when pushing that button not just throttle sensitivity.
Old 09-28-11, 09:12 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

Damn you guys beat me to it lol
Old 09-28-11, 11:01 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for all the input, so the SPORT button is still needed. I may end up buying this device, the sluggish throttle response (even in SPORT mode) kills me!

What about VDC Lance? I thought the steering assistance was mapped through the VDC long push (among other things).
Old 09-28-11, 02:27 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys for all the input, so the SPORT button is still needed. I may end up buying this device, the sluggish throttle response (even in SPORT mode) kills me!

What about VDC Lance? I thought the steering assistance was mapped through the VDC long push (among other things).
Be sure to tell Clark or Steven me and Nate sent u if u order it from VIP... :-D
Old 09-28-11, 02:48 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Juanca - What changed your mind from your statement two weeks ago?

"since I drive on Manual mode 99% of the time (1% only when in reverse), there is no need for any LTS device. For me lag = wrong gear, downshift and problem solved."

...just wondering....
Old 09-28-11, 05:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

...What about VDC Lance? I thought the steering assistance was mapped through the VDC long push (among other things).
No, shutting off the VSC with the long push does not change the steering. I tried this at the track. Honestly, at the track sport mode doesn't do a lot other than change the steering feel. You really don't notice the throttle response difference because you're never at the small end of functionality - you're always trying to put the pedal through the floor unless you're at part throttle, then it's steady state because you're balancing under/oversteer with the throttle.

I use sport mode a lot on the street mostly because I like the throttle response in sport mode. I wouldn't want it any quicker.
Old 09-28-11, 05:16 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ I said it above: the sluggish throttle response (even in SPORT mode) kills me!

When I was at the BMW dealer 2 months ago and drove the DCT M3, in M mode the throttle was so light and responsive that I felt jealous! Maybe I'm not 99% of the time in Manual but 95%, for the remaining 5% (usually when drinking something or driving through heavy/slow traffic) I want a more responsive throttle.
Old 09-28-11, 06:39 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I said it above: the sluggish throttle response (even in SPORT mode) kills me!

When I was at the BMW dealer 2 months ago and drove the DCT M3, in M mode the throttle was so light and responsive that I felt jealous! Maybe I'm not 99% of the time in Manual but 95%, for the remaining 5% (usually when drinking something or driving through heavy/slow traffic) I want a more responsive throttle.
get the Apexi.. u wont be disappointed... especially for the price .. New
Old 01-27-12, 06:04 PM
fred900
Driver School Candidate

I bought one because I found it really cheap ($212). You guys are right, it make it so much more fun to drive! I like taking someone for a ride, turning it to red and then flooring it around 50 and watch them get buried in the seat. They are like, "WOW this thing a rocket!"
Fun toy!

Quick Reply: Apex throttle controller