IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Air Intakes, why not Plastic

Old 09-17-11, 06:15 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Intakes, why not Plastic

...instead of Aluminum which is what everybody uses(k&n, injen, ect). Remember the intake Ice Man, it was made of thick thermoplastic. Oem intakes are made out of plastic, why use something that'll heat up more than oem?
I'd love to see an intake made of this plastic. The Takeda would be sweet with this material
Old 09-17-11, 07:14 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing our heat soak issue I'd only buy an intake again if it was plastic. Joe Z could make it happen....
Old 09-17-11, 07:40 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I agree, not sure how much difference there is but I am sure there is something there to be had.
Old 09-17-11, 09:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

The reason is cost. If plastic were used a mold would have to be made and etc. I agree plastic would be better for an after market intake, but aluminum was can be formed far cheaper than plastic seems to work OK.

Lou
Old 09-17-11, 10:20 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I'm not sure why a joez cf version hasn't been done yet
Old 09-17-11, 10:21 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The reason is cost. If plastic were used a mold would have to be made and etc. I agree plastic would be better for an after market intake, but aluminum was can be formed far cheaper than plastic seems to work OK.

Lou
Just looking at the Joe Z design a mold can't be that much and after the mold was done I'd be surprised over time if Joe Z didn't see a reduction in cost using plastic vs using aluminum. I'd buy the first Joe z plastic and it wouldn't look like the I code silicon crap.
Old 09-17-11, 10:22 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't u just take the intake and thermal wrap it then paint some coats of thermal paint to help keep heat out?
I realize visually it's not pretty but will drop your temps the intake sees.
Old 09-17-11, 10:28 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Can't u just take the intake and thermal wrap it then paint some coats of thermal paint to help keep heat out?
I realize visually it's not pretty but will drop your temps the intake sees.
Yeah...I wrapped mine in the thermotec cool tape I believe is the name. Its a fiberglass insulated wrap with the woven material and it has the shiney silver outer appearance. It looked like crap no matter how clean the wrap was and the intake got so hot the actual wrap adhesive would fail and fall off...so zip ties had to be installed to hold it on. I would think a thick plastic joe Z or Cf joe Z would be the key. I think heat would still travel through it no matter what if it was any metal.
Old 09-18-11, 07:52 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Yeah...I wrapped mine in the thermotec cool tape I believe is the name. Its a fiberglass insulated wrap with the woven material and it has the shiney silver outer appearance. It looked like crap no matter how clean the wrap was and the intake got so hot the actual wrap adhesive would fail and fall off...so zip ties had to be installed to hold it on. I would think a thick plastic joe Z or Cf joe Z would be the key. I think heat would still travel through it no matter what if it was any metal.
Yeah heat will still travel through and heat the intake up and with the insulation it would take that much longer to cool off negating any initial benefit. The JoeZ intake can show a gain of up to 5whp on the dyno, which doesn't make much of a difference on the track so if your primarily worried about heat then stick with stock which is already plastic and you won't have to make the nice looking JoeZ intake ugly with wraps and such.
Old 09-18-11, 06:38 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Buy some PVC drain pipe and make your self a plastic intake.

The heat soak isn't all that great. My intake temperature runs about 5* above ambient when moving. Since you have a laminar flow pattern only the air at the outside edge soaks up the heat.
Old 09-19-11, 11:03 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I can attest silicone vs metal. When car is hot, you can't grab the joez, it's pretty hot and youll get burned. Same with takeda. Icode is warm to touch, but you can grab it while car is hot and running. The temp difference between metals and silicone is quite dramatic. I'm not sure how that equates to air temps Internally.
Old 09-19-11, 03:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Not much at all....

The air flowing inside the intake pipe is there less than a blink of an eye...

You can burn your hands all day long touching stuff inside the intake compartment.

Here is the hint: Don't touch anything

Already did the cost analysis for a "plastic/silicone intake".. There were no beneficial gains besides a major increase in price.

Again, I can't speak for other brands, but the air inside my intake pipe is NEVER there long enough to be heated by the exterior surface temps of the intake material.

At Wide Open Throttle, the intake air flow can suck your arm off.... That's how fast its flowing...

&

The KEY that matters the most, is where the air is coming from... !!!

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-20-11 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added "WOT"
Old 09-19-11, 03:49 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Already did the cost analysis for a "plastic/silicone intake".. There were no beneficial gains besides a major increase in price.

Again, I can't speak for other brands, but the air inside my intake pipe is NEVER there long enough to be heated by the exterior surface temps of the intake material.

Joe Z
You said there were no beneficial gains. How did you test this?

Thanks for jumping in Joe!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-19-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 08:59 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
You said there were no beneficial gains. How did you test this?

Thanks for jumping in Joe!
In for reply from Joe.
Old 09-19-11, 09:30 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great reply from Joe. Also plastic gets very hot too, touch your stock intake on a hot day..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intakes, why not Plastic