IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My Headers & Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 06:07 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Headers & Exhaust Setup

I haven't posted threads dedicated to my mod upgrades, but now I'd like to share because I haven't seen any member here flange their cats once installing headers.

I bought Vband flanges and had them installed. I also had some straight pipes made up for "track use".
These cats from PPE dramatically reduce all rasp heard cat-less. The rasp isn't an annoying to me, it actually sounds good. I miss it. The overall sound is about 15-25% louder tone than just having a JoeZ exhaust. Catless I would say around 25-40% louder in tone. The tone is deep with sharp blasts of rasp catless.
I do feel some additional low RPM low-end tq with the cats on.

Enjoy.

~Dv8
Attached Thumbnails My Headers & Exhaust Setup-img_1505.jpg   My Headers & Exhaust Setup-img_1506.jpg   My Headers & Exhaust Setup-img_1507.jpg   My Headers & Exhaust Setup-img_1508.jpg  
Old 09-08-11, 07:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice! I had always wanted this setup myself and it's nice to see it actually done. Just curious but are you utilizing a O2 sim with the cats in place? I believe azlowrider has the same cats in about the same position and has reported no CEL.
Old 09-08-11, 09:10 PM
lukeisf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the cats in the same spot with no o2 sim and have yet to have a cell
Old 09-08-11, 10:06 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
Nice! I had always wanted this setup myself and it's nice to see it actually done. Just curious but are you utilizing a O2 sim with the cats in place? I believe azlowrider has the same cats in about the same position and has reported no CEL.
Thanks James,
I have the PPE o2 sim in place, came with the PPE headers along with the magnaflow cats. I have never gotten a CEL. Hopefully they wont burn up like some of the randoms.

~Dv8
Old 09-08-11, 10:17 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it, ive been considering this but havent had any issues without the cats... since my Rt cats blew all over the track
Old 09-08-11, 10:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I believe azlowrider has the same cats in about the same position and has reported no CEL.
You are correct - I have the same cats and no O2 sim, and no CEL.

Lou
Old 09-08-11, 11:03 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Nice setup! I may want to do this in the future.
Old 09-08-11, 11:17 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but its sort of on topic, except on my 350. I'm planning on running the same set up as you. PPE headers with cats on v bands, bc a v6 rasping is terrible compared to your v8.

My question is, do you guys think resonators will reduce rasp if I add some along with the cats? Or do only CATS reduce rasp?
Old 09-09-11, 04:28 AM
madastep
Pole Position

i'm glad you posted this, i just got my PPE drivers side header and don't wanna install it w/o figuring out what i wanna do as far as cats. I honestly don't want my family choking me out every time we go for a ride, lol.
Old 09-09-11, 10:08 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Most if not all rasp is gone with the cats. It’s a little louder- overall aggressive than with just the JoeZ exhaust, but certainly apparently louder without cats.

~Dv8
Old 09-09-11, 10:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Very nice progress thread!!!

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Most if not all rasp is gone with the cats. It’s a little louder- overall aggressive than with just the JoeZ exhaust, but certainly apparently louder without cats.

~Dv8

I can just imagine how much LOUDER + DRONE + RASP it would have without the dual resonators we manufacture for our system...

The CATs are changing the sound wave lengths inside the piping.. That's why you can hear a difference with the additional CAT's added..

The resonators are the true tuning factor.. Having the RIGHT ones, makes a world of a difference.

PTS made sure we covered ALL corners when we finalized our design over 3 years ago..

Congrats on a job well done..!!

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-09-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 10:44 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Thanks Joe Z!

This setup is probably the most ear friendly to the general audience, and is HIGHLY reccomended by me. Even for my Cali citizens. Swap in the test pipes and its for the pure enthusiast (like me). I miss the catless low rpm backfires! I couldnt even imagine the sound without the PTS exhaust resonators. Probably wouldnt suit me or the onlookers, but who knows.
Great products get even better with time!

Maybe some nitrous next......

~Dv8

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Very nice progress thread!!!

I can just imagine how much LOUDER + DRONE it would have with out the dual resonators we manufacture for our system...

The CATs are changing the sound wave lengths inside the piping.. That's why you can hear a difference with the additonal CAT's added..

Congrats on a job well done..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 09-19-11, 10:37 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Default Need Help Please!

Hey guys thanks in advance for your help!
Anyway, the shop is installing my PPE headers right now and just called me and said they don't do welding and were unaware they would need to weld the magnaflow cat's that are optional with the PPE headers into the system. I REALLY LIKE DV8's setup and wish to copy it. I know that the flanges will need to be welded to the Joe-Z exhaust tubing and I'll need to take it somewhere else to get it done. I've just been searching online and found these V-Band clamps....
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=155
Will these work? (I need the 2.5" ones for the Joe-Z exhaust right?)
I'll need to buy 4 to replicate DV8's set up correct?
Also, I know this seems obvious, but I just want to make sure before someone destroys my Joe-Z exhaust, but the shop will need to cut a section out of the Joe-Z exhaust ahead of the Oxygen sensors to fit the cats in there right? Also, will I be able to use the pipe section they cut out, to weld flanges to, to use on track days? (It looks like DV8's using a different piece of pipe.) Thanks again for all these Newbie questions!
Old 09-19-11, 11:00 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Hey guys thanks in advance for your help!
Anyway, the shop is installing my PPE headers right now and just called me and said they don't do welding and were unaware they would need to weld the magnaflow cat's that are optional with the PPE headers into the system. I REALLY LIKE DV8's setup and wish to copy it. I know that the flanges will need to be welded to the Joe-Z exhaust tubing and I'll need to take it somewhere else to get it done. I've just been searching online and found these V-Band clamps....
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=155
Will these work? (I need the 2.5" ones for the Joe-Z exhaust right?)
I'll need to buy 4 to replicate DV8's set up correct?
Also, I know this seems obvious, but I just want to make sure before someone destroys my Joe-Z exhaust, but the shop will need to cut a section out of the Joe-Z exhaust ahead of the Oxygen sensors to fit the cats in there right? Also, will I be able to use the pipe section they cut out, to weld flanges to, to use on track days? (It looks like DV8's using a different piece of pipe.) Thanks again for all these Newbie questions!
You need 12 total 2.5" vband flanges, in order to flange the cats and test pipes. That would be 6 pairs of 2.5in vband. You only need 4 vband clamps, so you may have 2 left over because one ususally comes with each pair. I would make sure you buy the flanges and clamps in stainless to avoid rust
We cut the X pipe a few inches down from the header collector flange.

The piece cut out ended up being cut up for testing, so he made up the test pipes out of aluminized. That stuff costs nothing and welds easy. The new angled o2 bungs were installed right after the cat flange as seen in the pic.

~Dv8