New Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 12:32 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Hi all,
I had 245/35 fronts and 275/30 rears installed today on the stock rims (2009 IS F) and they fit perfectly. I've only driven it about 50 miles so far but these tires are much quieter than the stock Potenzas and the car seems to corner flatter too. For those of you who are also running the Super Sports, what tire pressure do you use? Mine are at 36 psi but I'm thinking of going to 40-42 psi.
Old 09-07-11, 03:54 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the exact same setup as you. Tire pressure is 38 all around.
Old 09-07-11, 07:23 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them too. Quietest tire I ever had. Brilliant ride and road fell. I'm at 38 psi also
Old 09-07-11, 07:58 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wanna do those sizes!!
I guess the extra mileage it tacks on isn't that noticeable, right?

How's it look with the extra meat on there? You like em?
Old 09-07-11, 08:11 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you guys think these would be for the track? When I say track I mean 1-2 HPDE events a year probably. Thinking of putting these on my stock wheels for doing that and when I go on long trips and don't want to deal with the 20s and watching out for pot holes.
Old 09-07-11, 10:39 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I really wanna do those sizes!!
I guess the extra mileage it tacks on isn't that noticeable, right?

How's it look with the extra meat on there? You like em?
Looks great (beefy!) and you shouldn't see more than 1-2 MPG difference.

Originally Posted by WReuroR
How do you guys think these would be for the track? When I say track I mean 1-2 HPDE events a year probably. Thinking of putting these on my stock wheels for doing that and when I go on long trips and don't want to deal with the 20s and watching out for pot holes.
They would be excellent at the track. Haven't you read the tests and reviews? Only unknown at this point is longevity.
Old 09-07-11, 11:51 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For those that are worried about wear on the Super Sport, they are rated at 300 versus 140 for the Bridgestone Potenzas that came stock on the IS F. They also carry a treadware gaurantee of 30K miles (for street driving I believe.)
Also, these tires don't have quite the protective lip as the Potenzas but as rhy stated, they look great and there are absolutely no rubbing issues front or back.
Old 09-07-11, 12:03 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rhy
Looks great (beefy!) and you shouldn't see more than 1-2 MPG difference.
I was referring to the addition miles tacked on the odometer because of the tire up size....
Old 09-07-11, 12:12 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Here's you answer right here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ot-Super-Sport.
Old 09-07-11, 12:31 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got to be honest. I've got several thousand miles on mine now, and I'm not sold. Yes, they're quieter, and the ride is a little softer. BUT, I'm still getting a lot of wheel spin when doing some spirited accelerating. I have not gone WOT from a stand still yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd get some seriously extended spin.

Additionally, if I accelerate hard from a low speed around a corner I get rather immediately slippage. However, I feel like I have better control of it than I did with the Potenza's, so it's kind of a catch-22.

Overall, I do not feel I am getting the performance level I expected from them.
Old 09-07-11, 01:12 PM
Linkseal
Driver

I am running 38psi all around on my PSS tires same size as yours, here is about 12-25C degree

Old 09-07-11, 01:19 PM
Linkseal
Driver

^Add to that, speaking from my 2000km experience on PSS, they are quite and comfy for DD, but the dry grip is no better than PS2...

Though, it is still summer here, I bet PPS has better wet traction than PS2. Or I might need to add the F-Sport rear sway, KW V3 makes the car tail jumped a bit so lost grip during turn-in.

Will switch back to BS after this set.
Old 09-07-11, 01:38 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

melbitoast: are you running the oem sizes or bigger? Wow that sucks to hear your spinning out on new tires...
Old 09-07-11, 03:07 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I've got to be honest. I've got several thousand miles on mine now, and I'm not sold. Yes, they're quieter, and the ride is a little softer. BUT, I'm still getting a lot of wheel spin when doing some spirited accelerating. I have not gone WOT from a stand still yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd get some seriously extended spin.

Additionally, if I accelerate hard from a low speed around a corner I get rather immediately slippage. However, I feel like I have better control of it than I did with the Potenza's, so it's kind of a catch-22.

Overall, I do not feel I am getting the performance level I expected from them.
Is this in sport mode with traction control completely defeated? If not, maybe check your alignment because your results are completely against the grain as the Tire Rack link below demonstrates.

Originally Posted by Linkseal
^Add to that, speaking from my 2000km experience on PSS, they are quite and comfy for DD, but the dry grip is no better than PS2...

Though, it is still summer here, I bet PPS has better wet traction than PS2. Or I might need to add the F-Sport rear sway, KW V3 makes the car tail jumped a bit so lost grip during turn-in.

Will switch back to BS after this set.
The PSS is better than the PS2 (and every other tire) in every important respect. See the Tire Rack survey results here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 09-07-11, 04:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

^^none of this happens to me even at the track. I have to really work to get the car to act up, but I've also got many laps of experience so I have a very clear picture of what is reasonable to expect and what is not.

I can't believe my OEM Bridgestones are any stickier than the PS2, much less the PSS.

Check your tire pressures. They're probably WAY too high - there's no other possible reason short of an oil leak.

Quick Reply: New Michelin Pilot Super Sports