IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Purchased 2008 Lexus IS_Neiman Marcus_Good Deal?

Old 08-29-11, 08:48 PM
kkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Purchased 2008 Lexus IS_Neiman Marcus_Good Deal?

Just purchased a 2008 Lexus ISF Neiman Marcus Edition (black / black) with 8,200 miles. It was a Certified Preowned Lexus (CPO) & got it for $46,500 before taxes, registration, etc. Didn't know that it was a Neiman Marcus edition until after I completed my bid.

I know it's a bit late but was this a reasonable deal? Didn't expect to purchase today but I got drawn in once I saw how immaculate the car was. (Other cars that I was eyeing were a 2008 Infiniti G37S manual (as a daily driver) PLUS a 2010 Nissan GTR (a special occasion car). The maintenance costs for the GTR were a turnoff ($8k for brakes that last only 20k miles). I figure the Lexus ISF will be 'fast enough' and more reliable than getting two Nissans.

The ISF isn't that fast (0-60). My other cars are a GS430, SC400, & IS300 (need to sell). By seat of the pants feel, it feels faster than the GS430 but I'd like to feel more pushed in the seat. I guess I'll have to wait to see what a 2010 & up GTR feels like.
Old 08-29-11, 09:16 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

$46.5k before taxes seems about right for a CPO. I searched on KBB for an 08 with such low mileage and options, and it would go for a little over $52k. Given the demand of the IS F, used ones have been on the rise. The F is plenty fast, either for a daily driver or just a weekend ride. The selling point for the Neiman Marcus has to be the rims. I still get compliments and people asking where I bought my rims. Enjoy your F!
Old 08-30-11, 06:46 PM
familycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who the hell lied to you and said brake pads on a GTR are $8,ooo?
Old 08-30-11, 07:25 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Seems a little high for an 08, IMHO.
Old 08-30-11, 08:58 PM
iffy08
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
$46.5k before taxes seems about right for a CPO. I searched on KBB for an 08 with such low mileage and options, and it would go for a little over $52k. Given the demand of the IS F, used ones have been on the rise. The F is plenty fast, either for a daily driver or just a weekend ride. The selling point for the Neiman Marcus has to be the rims. I still get compliments and people asking where I bought my rims. Enjoy your F!
Wow, this seems very odd to me. About $10K more than the KBB you can get a 2011 F.
Honestly, you paid nearly $5K more than a 2010 I was getting quoted with 4000 miles on it. I understand that you got the NM but it seems high to me.
Anyways, you'll love your F! It will be well worth all the money!
Old 08-30-11, 09:29 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a bad price. I know a local dealership just sold an '08 with 20k miles on it for around $42k. Used prices for the F are super high. I personally would have gone straight for the '11 (well duh, I own one, right? ) but you will enjoy your car.

Originally Posted by familycar
who the hell lied to you and said brake pads on a GTR are $8,ooo?
He didn't say brake pads. Nissan dealers insist on changing rotors/pads at the same time, and plenty of GT-R owners have reported dealers charging 6-7k for the job - and some of them were recommended brake replacements as early as 3k miles. (!)
Old 08-31-11, 12:21 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Next time you drive...Be sure to Turn on the Sport Mode and step on it...Let us know if it still feels the same...This car begs to be driven hard.

Car should run circles around any year GS430 and it's plenty fast.
Old 08-31-11, 01:20 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salil022

Car should run circles around any year GS430 and it's plenty fast.
All day everyday. Price does seem high based on KBB and other sources
Old 09-03-11, 02:25 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

I would say that's a bit high but that's par for the course if you're buying from a lexus dealership (i'm assuming you bought from lexus anyway).

On the other hand, just this past week I saw a black '08 IS F for sale at my local BMW dealership. It has all the options but is NOT a NM edition and has over 50k miles on it and they want $45k for it.

judging by the price of the F at the BMW dealership I would say you got a fair deal since you got the NM edt with A LOT less miles and it's a CPO....

Last edited by BaronvdB; 04-16-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 12:01 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BaronvdB
I would say that's a bit high but that's par for the course if you're buying from a lexus dealership (i'm assuming you bought from lexus anyway).

I bought my '08 Neiman Marcus in july of last year with 24k miles from a new car Acura dealership in texas (had to have it shipped to FL) for $40k OUT THE DOOR...i feel like i stole it...i don't think the dealership really knew much about the F. They said they took it in on trade by a local doctor that's bought a few acuras from them....the car is mint and I'm a happy camper.

On the other hand, just this past week I saw a black '08 IS F for sale at my local BMW dealership. It has all the options but is NOT a NM edition and has over 50k miles on it and they want $45k for it.

judging by the price of the F at the BMW dealership I would say you got a fair deal since you got the NM edt with A LOT less miles and it's a CPO....
It seems we had similar experiences and I think you're on to something about buying an F from a dealer other than Lexus. When I was looking for mine last year, I came upon two that had the exact color combo I wanted. One was in a Honda dealership and the other one, a BMW. The BMW's price was wayyy over the top, and didn't want to deal at all.

The Honda one, absolutely. They had the F for quite a long time, but just never any serious takers. According to the manager, whenever they had their tent sale, it would receive tons of attention (thinking it was a new Honda), but never any takers once they saw the price. And really you can't blame the consumers, b/c with a budget for a 4dr civic or an accord, not likely that they can shell out double from what they intended. Also, it made potential Accord buyers go see the regular IS at the Lexus dealer...

It became instant news to the folks that worked there when I shook to take the F, even the ol' credit lady. They were like, "So you're the one buying the Lexus...huh?" They were happy to see it go, and happy to not have to explain to people what the car was at every tent sale. I came away with a great price IMO on a 10 month old 2009 with 12K miles, from the Honda dealership.
Old 04-16-13, 08:41 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Another point of price reference for the NM is F's. I noticed #17 w/ 11k miles up on eBay had been ended early b/c it's no longer available for sale. I sent the seller a message to find out how much he ended up selling for and he said it sold for $47,800.00. These cars are really holding their value.

Here's the ended listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Neima...t_31813wt_1182
Old 04-16-13, 09:23 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've seen 2008-10 hold their value well, but it's good knowing the Neiman Marcus build can still fetch a really nice amount. I'm presuming private party if it wasn't auctioned on eBay.
Old 04-16-13, 09:28 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I've seen 2008-10 hold their value well, but it's good knowing the Neiman Marcus build can still fetch a really nice amount. I'm presuming private party if it wasn't auctioned on eBay.
from the looks of it I think it was a third party dealer sale
Old 04-17-13, 02:43 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BaronvdB
Another point of price reference for the NM is F's. I noticed #17 w/ 11k miles up on eBay had been ended early b/c it's no longer available for sale. I sent the seller a message to find out how much he ended up selling for and he said it sold for $47,800.00. These cars are really holding their value.

Here's the ended listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Neima...t_31813wt_1182
Knowing how much better the 2012s are compare to the 2008 in not only much improved driving dynamics, but other upgrades, the 2008 NM edition means very little to me.

And for a dealer to want $47.8K for a 2008 NM with 11K miles is wayyyyyyy overpriced. People are getting easily $10K off for a 2012, whick brings it down to about $55K.

2008 NM 11K miles at $48K versus a brand new 2012 at $55K. It seems like an easy choice given that the 2008 probably doesn't have the warranty anymore.
Old 04-17-13, 03:41 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

For reference I purchased a 2008 18 months ago with 8K miles for $38k w/o CPO. I purchased the Lexus extended warranty for $1,350. Since you are asking I would say you overpaid a little but if your happy with the car that is all that matters.

I agree with the ISF not being that fast, a few mods will help but like anything else you get use to it and will want more power...

Come join us for the meet in Dover, DE on the 27th.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchased 2008 Lexus IS_Neiman Marcus_Good Deal?