IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 08:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Old thread, I know... really want to change the spark plugs while waiting for my ecu to come back from PA (sent 2/9 via usps "2-day priority mail", yeah right).

Could anyone out there advise the torque spec for the plugs?

Thanks guys in advance.

Dennis
These two links should answer your question:

http://www.denso-am.eu/e-catalogue/

http://densoiridium.com/installationguide.php

Lou
Old 02-15-16, 10:13 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Old thread, I know... really want to change the spark plugs while waiting for my ecu to come back from PA (sent 2/9 via usps "2-day priority mail", yeah right).

Could anyone out there advise the torque spec for the plugs?

Thanks guys in advance.

Dennis
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
thats pretty high most of the time its around 15 ft lbs
yep, i did 15

make sure you do all 8 correctly . some will be tricky to get the tool in right to get the correct spec but its possible.
Old 02-15-16, 09:31 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

"make sure you do all 8 correctly. ..."

Why I want to do this myself. (smiley emoji)

Thanks everyone for the info. & links.

Dennis
Old 01-26-17, 06:23 PM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has any tried both of the spark plug setups? I'm so use to using 1 step cold plugs for turbo applications. Trying to decide which one to go with. Full bolt on exhaust mods if that makes a difference.
Old 01-26-17, 06:35 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy21
Has any tried both of the spark plug setups? I'm so use to using 1 step cold plugs for turbo applications. Trying to decide which one to go with. Full bolt on exhaust mods if that makes a difference.
I'm curious also. Is anyone running 2 step colder plugs all motor? I'm wondering if they would foul at all.
Old 01-26-17, 06:45 PM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I'm curious also. Is anyone running 2 step colder plugs all motor? I'm wondering if they would foul at all.
Just the info I found is staying don't use them. Only if road tracking the car; or supercharged/Nitrous.
Old 02-27-17, 05:25 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I changed my plugs Saturday evening. I got the Denso FK20HBR11 Iridium plugs from Advance Auto for ~$120 using a 25% off promo.

What a PITA!
Obviously, it's not a very complicated task in and of itself. It's just very tedious & time consuming to figure out some of the access for the first time with that packed engine bay. Also, it would have helped if I'd gotten the shorter plug socket with integrated swivel extension. Craftsman makes them with a 6" or 12" extension.. I wanted the 6" version because I already have plenty of other 3/8" extensions if needed. However, my local store was out of stock, so I settled for the longer one.. That proved to be a bit difficult for some & downright impossible for a couple. I did have an old spark plug socket in the appropriate size.. The problem with that one was its rubber core holds on the the plugs very well, and the socket doesn't connect to my extensions very securely. So, once a plug had been tightened, the extension would end up coming out sans socket because it grips the plugs so well. In hindsight, I should have tried using a standard deep socket & perhaps a little bit of tape or something to secure the plug while installing..

Anyway, I digress..

I'm amazed by the results! It feels like I got a new engine! It starts quicker, idles smoother, pulls harder, and it's even a tad quieter now. It just feels great all the way around. I can't wait to get her out on the track this spring.

-Mike

NOTE: I had just under 56K miles on the the original plugs.

Last edited by mikersoft; 02-27-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 07:14 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I changed my plugs Saturday evening. I got the Denso FK20HBR11 Iridium plugs from Advance Auto for ~$120 using a 25% off promo.

What a PITA!
Obviously, it's not a very complicated task in and of itself. It's just very tedious & time consuming to figure out some of the access for the first time with that packed engine bay. Also, it would have helped if I'd gotten the shorter plug socket with integrated swivel extension. Craftsman makes them with a 6" or 12" extension.. I wanted the 6" version because I already have plenty of other 3/8" extensions if needed. However, my local store was out of stock, so I settled for the longer one.. That proved to be a bit difficult for some & downright impossible for a couple. I did have an old spark plug socket in the appropriate size.. The problem with that one was its rubber core holds on the the plugs very well, and the socket doesn't connect to my extensions very securely. So, once a plug had been tightened, the extension would end up coming out sans socket because it grips the plugs so well. In hindsight, I should have tried using a standard deep socket & perhaps a little bit of tape or something to secure the plug while installing..

Anyway, I digress..

I'm amazing by the results! It feels like I got a new engine! It started quicker, idles smoother, pulls harder, and it's even a tad quieter now. It just feels great all the way around. I can't wait to get her out on the track this spring.

-Mike

NOTE: I had just under 56K miles on the the original plugs.

Next time, which will be a while, try a magnetic spark plug socket. I used to have the same problem as you with the rubber not letting go of the spark plug and coming off the extension. The magnetic socket works quite well and I've not had a problem since, though I'll admit I haven't had to do a spark plug swap on the F yet.
Old 02-27-17, 08:03 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to change mine as i don't think previous owner did based on the lexus service history; i'll have to check it again as i also don't think the 60k mile service was done either. I might have to farm out the work though as the F is a PITA for me to work on.
Old 02-27-17, 08:19 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to do mine come spring, not overly looking forward ti it. Ive had to do my IS250 twice, im hoping the F is equally or less didficult. That magnetic socket tip is good, ive had the same issue noted above when doing my 250 with the rubber socket insert.
-R
Old 02-27-17, 09:19 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
Next time, which will be a while, try a magnetic spark plug socket. I used to have the same problem as you with the rubber not letting go of the spark plug and coming off the extension. The magnetic socket works quite well and I've not had a problem since, though I'll admit I haven't had to do a spark plug swap on the F yet.
Oh yeah, the magnetic spark plug socket is great.. That's what I got from Sears.. The problem is the integrated 12" extension on it is too long for some of the IS-F plugs, so I had to resort to my old socket with the rubber insert. The 6" version of the magnetic socket is definitely the way to go. In fact, I'm going to do an exchange once they're back in stock at my local store.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 02-27-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 12:49 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Oh yeah, the magnetic spark plug socket is great.. That's what I got from Sears.. The problem is the integrated 12" extension on it is too long for some of the IS-F plugs, so I had to resort to my old socket with the rubber insert. The 6" version of the magnetic socket is definitely the way to go. In fact, I'm going to do an exchange once they're back in stock at my local store.

-Mike
The one have is actually just the spark plug socket, no extension on it. Figured this would allow me to pick and choose how much of an extension I would need.
Old 02-27-17, 11:12 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What I use when replacing spark plugs:

https://store.snapon.com/Locking-Ext...--P643863.aspx

I know most of you would never pay those prices for this extension, and I understand. I use this tool on a regular basis for my work. It worked perfectly for my car, and many other cars that have tight spaces and the sparkplug socket wanted to stick to the spark plug.

You most likely could find something from craftsman (or any other brand you prefer to use) that would work just as well for you when you are doing the spark plugs for your car:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...p-00943355000P
Old 02-28-17, 10:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

While we're talking about tools, the proper size for the spark plugs is 16mm. Good luck finding a quality 16mm spark plug socket in the US. 5/8" is within a few thousands of an inch, and what everyone seems to use for 16mm plugs. And while we are there, 5/16" is interchangeable with 8mm for the exact same reason.
Old 03-11-17, 11:08 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Are these legit? Seems to be the right #s

Quick Reply: Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF