IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hawk Pads & Centric Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 09:38 AM
NERD42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Pads & Centric Rotors

ok i posted this up on the other forum and would like to share.

Let me first say sorry about the wait, I have been super busy. However I have completed the front brake job along with a brake flush. I have taken pictures and will post them up when I get the chance. Total time working was 2 hours nice and slow while taking pictures. It could definitely be done in 30 minutes without the flush of course, now that I know how to do it! I will be posting the pictures as soon as I can.

A little refresher on the whip, it is 2008 ISF with 37k miles and I drive it five days a week… maybe only 5-7 miles total in a day, but those are the hardest miles that car will see to and from work. Oh yes no wispy foot here, it’s all business on the way to work and home! The only modifications are Eibach springs.

Products:
Brembo brake lube copper based
3M copper based anti-seize
Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads
Centric Premium Rotor Cryo-Prep’d

I have to say these hawk ceramic pads are really constructed well. It’s obvious they know what they’re doing when it comes to brake pads. The centric rotors are a perfect swap (we all know Brembo is still king of stopping at 400$+ per rotor) if you are trying to save more than a few bucks these are what you want!

First let’s start with the pads; they are Hawk performance Ceramic Pads. Plenty of pad surface with a nice rubberized coating on the back to minimize shim plate movement. They do have a cooling slot in the middle to aid against brake fade, also there looks to be sensor cutouts, which shows they may be adaptable to other applications. They do not have the wear indicators, so if you are not into checking your brakes at every oil change you will need to start doing so. They are nice and thick painted black.

HAHAHA is all I could do as I looked at these beautiful rotors. They are nice! The people over at Centric have really done themselves a great justice with the workmanship of the ISF’s rotor. It comes with the inner surface (front & back) painted black as well as the outside edges to prevent rust, corrosion and protect the back of the rim. The stock rotors are not coated and they rust badly. The centric rotor compared to the stock one shows advancement in cooling with far greater cooling fins I would approximate at least twice as many. I put a micrometer on the centric rotor and got 30.12mm new; the stock rotor was at 27.20 mm after 37k miles. I will try and resurface the stock ones and see how they turn out…literary.

I did manage to do some driving around town and have about 75 miles on them so far. I have to say the initial bite has been smoothed out. I would like you to keep in mind everyone has a different feel for the brakes, however when I say smoothed out I mean they have a nice grip without feeling like your face is going to be ripped off. Only when hard braking force is applied will my guts be forced forward! The set up is nice and the price is low. I am happy with the results and I will post back when I have a few more miles on the car. I highly recommend this set up.
Old 08-09-11, 11:18 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think u will need to resurface the stock rotors as it has pass the minimum spec of 28mm. they are pretty much done once they reach 28mm. how much did u pay for the rotors? i will be probably looking at replacing the rear ones probably when they are at 24mm.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 08-09-11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 11:24 AM
NERD42
Driver

the rotors were 100$ each

i will post this up in the brake section as well
Old 08-26-11, 04:46 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

So if you got Hawk Ceramics upfront...what are you going to get for the rears? I assume they didn't need to be changed out yet since you didn't do them. I had Hawks on my STI and trust that brand. I am unsure if I get the ceramics for upfront what should be bought to match for the rear since Hawk doesn't make a set for the rear smh. I was thinking Project Mu for the rears maybe?
Old 09-06-11, 03:31 PM
JenISF
Driver School Candidate

Feel much better now that I came across this forum. I just got my Hawk brake pads in the mail today and will install them this weekend. Little uneasy about taking apart my ISF for the first time but from some of the posts I have looked at it seems it will be just like any other brake job. Did you notice less brake dust with the Hawk pads? I'm getting tired of trying to keep my wheels clean...

-Jen
Old 09-07-11, 09:23 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

I have the same combo on the front and have been very happy with them.