IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front bumper chips and dings.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 12:53 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front bumper chips and dings.

I'm tired of looking at all the chips and dings on my front bumper. I'm wishing now that I would have put protective film over it, but I didn't. So what are my options? Is there a complete new front bumper in carbon fiber for a cool mod? Will vinyl wrap apply over the chips and dings or will I have to have it painted first? Just get it repainted?
Old 06-27-11, 01:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Repaint is your only option at this point.
Old 06-27-11, 01:48 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the day, we used to remove the front bumpers from our '55 and '56 chevys as a mod. Scroll down to near the bottom of this page to see some examples:http://www.mantisrodz.com/myRidz/200...1_archive.html

So go for it!
Old 06-27-11, 01:49 PM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

repaint and put on the clear bra, so this won't happen again
Old 06-27-11, 01:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mentroc
repaint and put on the clear bra, so this won't happen again
Yes, it will happen again. It will just scratch and pit the clear bra instead of the paint, so the OP will be replacing the clear bra because it looks like crap after a few years of rock attacks - especially if he has a penchant for driving fast.
Old 06-27-11, 03:41 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

This is why I'm thinking of trying to install a clear bra myself. I've installed tint on at least 2 dozen cars and even the windows in my house. I know it's not the same thing but the process is similar.
Old 06-27-11, 04:32 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I just repaint mine every couple years. Keeps it looking good. First thing people notice are defects.
Old 06-27-11, 05:43 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DHRP
This is why I'm thinking of trying to install a clear bra myself. I've installed tint on at least 2 dozen cars and even the windows in my house. I know it's not the same thing but the process is similar.
The IS F bumper gives even the most experienced clear bra installer fits. I believe they rate our bumper about 8 out of 10 - partly due to the fact that they do not get much practice. In my opinion, it is way more difficult than tint - because of the curves, and exacting bumper holes.

I agree with Lobuxracer - if your going to keep the car a long time - it is actually easier to repaint the bumper, than remove and reapply the clear bra. The clear bra will be done in about 4 years on the front bumper - the sides and hood will last longer

If your leasing and or expect a short relationship then clear bra makes more sense.

It all depends how you like to throw your money around.
Old 06-27-11, 06:30 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I was just going to do the 1/2 hood. The bumper looks insane and is like $200 which is too much money to "try" and apply it.
Old 06-27-11, 07:13 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody heard of Dr. Colorchip? Some guy on ClubLexus tried it on his IS, looks decent...

I'm actually considering it, but not sure yet.

DIY & review below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...view-pics.html
Old 06-27-11, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I've had clear bra the day after I picked up my IS F. Granted my IS F has seen lots of times over 100 mph...it still looks fine to this day.

PS...I did partial hood because I find it pointless to cover the whole thing.
Old 06-28-11, 12:16 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefate
I just repaint mine every couple years. Keeps it looking good. First thing people notice are defects.
+1, I have done this with all my cars. Always keeps it looking fresh. Good paint shops will respray a front bumper for $200-$300. Aren't the high quality clear bras over $1k? So even if you had it painted every year. It would take quite a while to catch up to the cost of the clear bra which leaves you with a permanent orange peal affect.
Old 06-28-11, 07:19 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS F bumper gives even the most experienced clear bra installer fits. I believe they rate our bumper about 8 out of 10 - partly due to the fact that they do not get much practice. In my opinion, it is way more difficult than tint - because of the curves, and exacting bumper holes.
On my previous IS350, Xpel came out and did the bumper. Took the poor guy 5 hours and it still had bubbles and a couple of wrinkles in it. He told me it was on of the hardest bumpers he had ever done. So that's why I didn't want to mask my bumper on the F. It just doesn't look very good. So I just did the front of the hood.

I just repaint mine every couple years. Keeps it looking good. First thing people notice are defects
+1, I have done this with all my cars. Always keeps it looking fresh. Good paint shops will respray a front bumper for $200-$300. Aren't the high quality clear bras over $1k? So even if you had it painted every year. It would take quite a while to catch up to the cost of the clear bra which leaves you with a permanent orange peal affect.
I'm kinda leaning towards just getting it repainted. I need to go and get an estimate. If it doesn't cost as much as a clear mask, then this is the way to go. Or at least it will look better.
Old 06-28-11, 08:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yeah, I'm in the repaint club too. I did a cost effectiveness analysis for the bra, and it doesn't make sense as long as you have a shop doing quality paint work for <$600 on a respray. Track duty hammers anything, and the effects of track time are pretty evident on the bumper, hood, and windshield.
Old 06-28-11, 09:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Panel repaints kill the value of your car if you sell/trade in. Bumper covers are easy to get away with...but not on sheetmetal panels. $600 for a respray is kind of cheap for a hood and bumper cover.

Clear bra saves if vehicle value is important to you during a resale.

Quick Reply: Front bumper chips and dings.