IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HKS SSM exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 06:44 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smile83
If I buy aftermarket headers (which eliminates the primary cats) and bolt on the stock midpipe for the secondary cats. Would it affect the O2 sensor readings? Turning on the CEL light?
Went down to RCTS which a company is specialize in Toyota, I ask the guy about the headers and he mention the same thing. If you change the headers it will throw random cel due to the o2 sensors tests by the ecu. So basically he just said do the exhaust and intake for now till more aftermarket stuff catches up with the is-F.
Old 06-16-11, 06:50 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CrzKush
Went down to RCTS which a company is specialize in Toyota, I ask the guy about the headers and he mention the same thing. If you change the headers it will throw random cel due to the o2 sensors tests by the ecu. So basically he just said do the exhaust and intake for now till more aftermarket stuff catches up with the is-F.
Thats a load... Ive had headers for 7k still not 1 CEL
Old 06-16-11, 06:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I tried to keep out of this thread because, well, there is so much mis information given here it's hard to know where to start.

First off does the OP want a dual exhaust or not? If he does, the only answer is to get a used aftermarket system and cut and reweld it up, as has already been suggested, or to have one fabricated by a good exhaust (muffler) shop. If the OP wants to use the stock mid pipe and retain the two into one into two exhaust and maintain his present cats, that will certainly work. As far as the CEL, I believe the secondary bung can be welded into the mid pipe behind the secondary cat and if the wiring is extended and the 02 sensor is attached to that bung it should eliminate the CEL. The wiring and sensor would need to be protected however.

As far as headers, there are currently two choices Sikky, as has already been suggested, or PPE. Both come with electronic 02 simulators. So the choice is yours. I chose PPE because I believe their workmanship is superior. But, that was and still is my personal choice. Yours my vary.

My exhaust system is made up of PPE headers, Magnaflow hi-flow cats and a fabricated full dual system that utilizes a third party X pipe, glasspack resonators and stock mufflers. Again, to me this was the right choice. Third party systems are just too loud for me. My system certainly is a bit louder than stock and also lower in pitch, it's purrfect for me. I am using no 02 sim, because with my magnaflow cats, I am not throwing a CEL.

If you do a search you will find out about my header and exhaust experiences.

Lou
Old 06-16-11, 07:01 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darbs242
Thats a load... Ive had headers for 7k still not 1 CEL
How long have u had your headers installed?
Old 06-16-11, 07:11 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How long have u had your headers installed?
since january
Old 06-16-11, 07:11 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I tried to keep out of this thread because, well, there is so much mis information given here it's hard to know where to start.

First off does the OP want a dual exhaust or not? If he does, the only answer is to get a used aftermarket system and cut and reweld it up, as has already been suggested, or to have one fabricated by a good exhaust (muffler) shop. If the OP wants to use the stock mid pipe and retain the two into one into two exhaust and maintain his present cats, that will certainly work. As far as the CEL, I believe the secondary bung can be welded into the mid pipe behind the secondary cat and if the wiring is extended and the 02 sensor is attached to that bung it should eliminate the CEL. The wiring and sensor would need to be protected however.

As far as headers, there are currently two choices Sikky, as has already been suggested, or PPE. Both come with electronic 02 simulators. So the choice is yours. I chose PPE because I believe their workmanship is superior. But, that was and still is my personal choice. Yours my vary.

My exhaust system is made up of PPE headers, Magnaflow hi-flow cats and a fabricated full dual system that utilizes a third party X pipe, glasspack resonators and stock mufflers. Again, to me this was the right choice. Third party systems are just too loud for me. My system certainly is a bit louder than stock and also lower in pitch, it's purrfect for me. I am using no 02 sim, because with my magnaflow cats, I am not throwing a CEL.

If you do a search you will find out about my header and exhaust experiences.

Lou
Thanks Lou
Old 06-17-11, 04:14 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the advice of what to put on for mid pipe. I finally found the HKS ssm mid pipe i was looking for. 1.5 week till it arrives, Can't wait lol
Old 06-18-11, 06:01 PM
silky f
Driver

you should post vids without the center pipe and with the center pipes

congrats on the exhaust
Old 06-21-11, 01:37 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silky f
you should post vids without the center pipe and with the center pipes

congrats on the exhaust
Thanks dude, i will definitley have a video up along with a dyno vid with the stock on and after with the HKS mid pipe installed.
Old 06-21-11, 02:35 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Lou
You da man Lou. It sounds like you did a lot of research and had to piece it together. You got something that a lot of people would like to buy as a kit. When I get to the exhaust side, I'll be following your example. I may substitute some parts but it'll be along the same lines. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-21-11, 04:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Thanks for the complement, but this is not my first rodeo. I'm 72 years old and have had exhausts built (I have made many mistakes on some of those builds) or have been using aftermarket systems since 1957. I read a lot, and think I understand the fundamentals. IMHO, the biggest flaw in the Fs powerplant is it's exhaust system. A modern V8 with a two into one into two system and a large crush in the rear section is not my idea of a good design.

Lou
Old 06-21-11, 05:21 PM
CrzKush
Driver School Candidate

^^^^Thanks for the complement, but this is not my first rodeo. I'm 72 years old and have had exhausts built (I have made many mistakes on some of those builds) or have been using aftermarket systems since 1957. I read a lot, and think I understand the fundamentals. IMHO, the biggest flaw in the Fs powerplant is it's exhaust system. A modern V8 with a two into one into two system and a large crush in the rear section is not my idea of a good design.

Lou
I agree with the F flaws having 2 into 1 pipe and a larger crush at the rear section. I was pretty surprise seen that after the rear section was taken off.
Old 06-21-11, 05:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I agree with the F flaws having 2 into 1 pipe and a larger crush at the rear section. I was pretty surprise seen that after the rear section was taken off.
Highly Agreed..!!

Keep in mind the mid-pipe you just purchased will keep that very same 2 - 1 - 2 format.

Joe Z
Old 06-21-11, 10:40 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so wut is the best set up? is it just personal preference? cause i want to go with the ppe headers and the gretty exhaust but idk i don't want to lose my o2 sensors or am i just getting the wrong idea..someone fill me in please...
Old 06-22-11, 09:38 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96817isf
so wut is the best set up? is it just personal preference? cause i want to go with the ppe headers and the gretty exhaust but idk i don't want to lose my o2 sensors or am i just getting the wrong idea..someone fill me in please...
there is no best setup and it really personal preference. if you get ppe headers then install the simulators and you'll be fine or weld the magnaflow cats like what Lou did. the exhaust I really don't know much about yet but should fit. Joe Z can comment on that since he has seen the exhaust.

Quick Reply: HKS SSM exhaust installed