IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 10:59 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Thanks again guys! Deal (Should be) done... drive out tomorrow... to California to pick her up... 2010 Super Silver, original owner just purchased (in service) November 2010... has 1,300 miles on it!

Will post pics from our drive back tomorrow night!

Thanks again,
Dave
Congrats Dave, I'm sure you're going to love the car. BTW, consider tracking it a couple of times, from what I understand the guys that do think it is a great fun with the electronics, DCT, and AWD. You probably already know of it, but just in case this forum has some very good info.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....ogin&fromreg=1

Enjoy,

Gary
Old 05-29-11, 08:12 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gary... and everyone else... Car is home in the garage... we did 1200 miles round trip in 17 1/2 hours! Was a TOTAL BLAST... Took the IS-F to get the GTR... left AZ at 12pm... Friday... arrived in Morro Bay (San Luis Obisbo area) at 8:30pm... talked for 30 to 40 minutes with the original owner, filled up the cars... and headed back! IS-F averaged just over 23 MPG... GTR averaged 'almost' 20 MPG... arrived back in Chandler AZ at 5:30am Saturday morning!

Car is amazing... but FYI... whether it was because we already drove 600 miles in the F... or not... my butt did hurt after another 600 miles in the GTR.

The gadgets are cool, the car is very fun, and intoxicating... but for the record... stock to stock... it barely pulled my old F (a couple cars maybe from 70 mph punch)... from a dead stop... obviously... it was more like 10 cars...

Light mods will be coming!

I'll get some pics hopefully up by Monday... Supersilver, Black Interior, Premium Pkg... 1,400 miles at pickup... 2,000 now in the garage.
Old 05-29-11, 02:45 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

How much did you buy it for buddy? I am about to purchase one.. almost 22k miles, for $66k..
Old 05-29-11, 08:21 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Gary... and everyone else... Car is home in the garage... we did 1200 miles round trip in 17 1/2 hours! Was a TOTAL BLAST... Took the IS-F to get the GTR... left AZ at 12pm... Friday... arrived in Morro Bay (San Luis Obisbo area) at 8:30pm... talked for 30 to 40 minutes with the original owner, filled up the cars... and headed back! IS-F averaged just over 23 MPG... GTR averaged 'almost' 20 MPG... arrived back in Chandler AZ at 5:30am Saturday morning!

Car is amazing... but FYI... whether it was because we already drove 600 miles in the F... or not... my butt did hurt after another 600 miles in the GTR.

The gadgets are cool, the car is very fun, and intoxicating... but for the record... stock to stock... it barely pulled my old F (a couple cars maybe from 70 mph punch)... from a dead stop... obviously... it was more like 10 cars...

Light mods will be coming!

I'll get some pics hopefully up by Monday... Supersilver, Black Interior, Premium Pkg... 1,400 miles at pickup... 2,000 now in the garage.
Good to see another GTR calling Chandler home! I've only seen two around this area - one is my neighbor's, and the other I saw at the Chandler Mall. I'll keep an eye out for yours. I'm in S.E. Chandler (near Cooper & Ch. Heights), you?

Last edited by jleonard71; 05-29-11 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 09:13 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

Originally Posted by Rider
How much did you buy it for buddy? I am about to purchase one.. almost 22k miles, for $66k..

In my opinion, that price is a touch high, but it looks like gtr prices are holding a little better than when I bought mine last September. Given your location though, I assume it's a little different ballgame. As I'm sure you know, just make sure the 18k service has been performed, and hopefully you don't have to buy tires and brakes right away. Enjoy the gtr if you buy it!
Old 05-30-11, 12:17 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rider
I think that price is a bit high, I sold my 09 GTR feb or march last year for 58k, 23k miles no accident no paint work all service done at dealer. I think a car with 22k you should be looking at under 60k depend on year. Go to NAGTROC there are plenty of them for sale with low miles in 60k range.
Old 05-30-11, 08:02 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

I purchased mine... 1,400 miles for $70K... There is a black 2010 in Texas... that was my #2 choice... 5 year extended warranty... 2,200 miles and he said his bottom number was $70K as well.

I was thinking like you... in the beginning pick up one for $65K... and you can... but you can get one with less than 5,000 miles on them for $70K... and I just felt that was worth it.

To the comment on Cooper and Chandler Heights you must have seen my F often... I'm on Gilbert & Chandler Heights!
Old 05-30-11, 03:24 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

grats on the GTR you will love it. I just drove the ISF to New Orleans and came back home to the GTR and drove it. Wow what a difference in ride and power. A stock GTR's power is not good from a roll on at 60-70 unless its tuned. But the biggest difference for me is the tq down low with the GTR vs the ISF.

First mod you should do is Mid Pipe and Cobb ECU. Then maybe Intake and exhaust for sound. The difference between ECU and stock is night and day. Also try to get the custom tune versus the off the shelf cobb tune. Not sure where you live but you can get someone to email you a custom tune.
Old 05-30-11, 05:27 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Thanks yup... got the cobb coming... trying to figure out 'which' mid pipe... and which intake... so many choices... I just don't want the car too loud... My IS-F sounded perfect with the Borla Tru-Dual system... 'nascar v8' "outside" the car (under full throttle) and 'still lexus quiet/no resonation' "inside" the car...

It's important for the wife to 'think' it's stock!
Old 05-30-11, 07:46 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Thanks yup... got the cobb coming... trying to figure out 'which' mid pipe... and which intake... so many choices... I just don't want the car too loud... My IS-F sounded perfect with the Borla Tru-Dual system... 'nascar v8' "outside" the car (under full throttle) and 'still lexus quiet/no resonation' "inside" the car...

It's important for the wife to 'think' it's stock!
My opinion get the cobb intake. Its priced right looks good the main reason why is because you dont need to take the front bumper off to install and you can install it in your garage. If you dont want a loud exhaust like mine( i like mine loud because I think the GTR is way to quiet ) get a resonated mid pipe. Pretty much any will do as they are all pretty much the same. If you get a non resonated mid pipe with most exhaust systems it will drone in the cabin. Honestly most exhaust systems sound the same except maybe mine which is the loudest ( I have the Meistershaft exhaust )

BTW borla made a true dual for the GTR also but I have never heard or seen one on a GTR. It is to my knowledge the only true dual also made.
Old 05-30-11, 07:53 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Thanks... Ok... yeah... And I saw the Borla... $3G's... though... ouch! But I'd bet it doesn't drone! Thanks for the tip on the Cobb... I saw most required the bumper removal... figured they all did.
Old 05-30-11, 08:01 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Thanks... Ok... yeah... And I saw the Borla... $3G's... though... ouch! But I'd bet it doesn't drone! Thanks for the tip on the Cobb... I saw most required the bumper removal... figured they all did.
welcome bro

LOL I just noticed your name is Dave. So is mine!!! and we both have SS GTR's wow
Old 05-30-11, 08:04 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

I also think that borla comes with midpipe and exhaust so when you figure it all in to a comparable midpipe and separate exhaust it could come close to 3 Gs
Old 05-31-11, 08:34 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

15k for a GTR would probably get you exhaust and a ecu. Just for the GTR to be able to chase a Veyron you'll need something like the Switzer R850 package which is like $36k.
Old 05-31-11, 05:43 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Updated... Pics... Before & After.
Special thanks to the guys over at www.PenskeRapidRepair.com for the Nano Tint!
Attached Thumbnails Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R-droid-june-2011-093.jpg   Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R-droid-june-2011-097.jpg   Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R-droid-june-2011-098.jpg  

Quick Reply: Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R