IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Water Pump leaking

Old 01-26-12, 02:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just talked to my service adviser. He really doesn't know me well because I don't spend any time or money with them, and he was cautionary - he said Lexus won't call it a leak if it doesn't puddle. Really? Wow. If they won't do it under warranty, I'll just buy a new water pump and install it myself. I can get one for $135 + shipping, so it's not like it's a lot of money. It's also not hard to do. But it won't be the best news you can deliver someone with three Toyota products in his garage.
Find a better one...

Obviously you know it's the Tech who makes the call...

But then again, which Tech are you going to allow to swap your water pump & gasket?

~ Joe Z
Old 01-26-12, 02:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Find a better one...

Obviously you know it's the Tech who makes the call...

But then again, which Tech are you going to allow to swap your water pump & gasket?

~ Joe Z
He's a CL member and a very qualified wrench. I actually trust his work.
Old 01-26-12, 02:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

He's a CL member and a very qualified wrench. I actually trust his work.
Well.. He should easily be able to make sure its Fully Covered then..

FYI to others that might get the same service advisor speach... This should easily be covered under the 6 Year / 70,000 mi Powertrain Warranty..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-26-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 06:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It got done today without any issues at all. Got a 250 loaner, and it's really surprising how different it feels. Steering is a LOT different. Handling is actually very nice, but as you might expect, getting up to speed isn't in the same ballpark.

Water pump, seal, and new coolant all covered by warranty. Only took a few hours total. Great service from Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett!
Old 02-01-12, 07:48 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Glad it worked out, although it took them 2 days to do mine...

~Dv8
Old 02-01-12, 04:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
^
Glad it worked out, although it took them 2 days to do mine...

~Dv8
They knew I'd be working over their loaner pretty hard, so they got it done very quickly. Dropped it off at 9 am, got the call they were finished at 2:11 pm.
Old 02-01-12, 05:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

It got done today without any issues at all. Got a 250 loaner, and it's really surprising how different it feels. Steering is a LOT different. Handling is actually very nice, but as you might expect, getting up to speed isn't in the same ballpark.

Water pump, seal, and new coolant all covered by warranty. Only took a few hours total. Great service from Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett!
Awesome !!

I'm sure your Tech signed off on the warranty claim pretty quickly...

- Joe Z
Old 08-04-12, 03:18 PM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info on this thread!

Went for an oil change yesterday and noticed a ton of pink crap on the water pump! I figured it was just a bad seal or something. Thought I would check CL before I brought it to the stealership because I was sure the issue had already been discussed!

Just hit 44K yeasterday as well. I hope they replace it without any issues!
Old 08-05-12, 09:21 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to be a problem on all 2IS across the board...

I had my water pump replaced under warranty at 41k miles a few months back on my IS350....im at 42.5k miles now. This worries me as I'm hoping the water pump will be ok for at least the next 40k miles.
Old 08-06-12, 09:38 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I just got my replaced while my car was at the dealership getting a new nav and cluster installed. I didn't even know my water pump was leaking. :/ It's a good thing they caught it.
Old 08-06-12, 10:30 AM
kteng7
Driver

Originally Posted by digger08
I just had my water pump replaced and thought I would share what I learned in my particular situation in my 2008 ISF

It may also help other identify a leaky pump in advance of the dealer and or purchasing a used F.

I had been losing coolant very slowly, and had been monitoring my reservoir level over a 3 month period. I knew that the cooling system is a closed system, and if my reservoir is low - it must be going somewhere. I had no signs of external leaks, on the ground or visible to me inside of the engine. My oil level was stable, so I was sure it was not leaking inside of the motor.

I took a small flash light and shone it on the serpentine tensioner, and found a massive leak and build up of pink coolant, that must have been happening over time. I did not take a picture before, just after the repair was done. The tensioner is below the water pump (pulley with exposed bolt heads)

You can actually see the area from both sides of the reservoir - it was easier to get my camera in from the passenger side

Here is a zoomed in shot - I have circled the area where pink coolant will be evident.

Lexus describes this in the there technical data, that if any coolant is leaking from the air or drain hole - replace the water pump. This is where mine was leaking from (lower drain hole).

(a) Visually check the air hole and drain hole for coolant leakage.
If leakage is found, replace the water pump.

(b) Turn the pulley and check that the water pump bearing moves smoothly and quietly.
If necessary, replace the water pump.
Can't see the pics..can someone direct me to the right place to look at ?
Old 08-06-12, 06:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by kteng7
Can't see the pics..can someone direct me to the right place to look at ?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6971909-post56.html - pic here.
Old 08-13-12, 05:30 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Took the F into Crown Lexus (Ontario, CA) for the water pump leak. Hugo was great and got me in and out quickly with a loaner vehicle. He said a little leakage is "normal" for the water pump but they would take a look at it and replace if necessary. He also said there was a recall on the accelerator and would replace it at the same time.

He called me around 5pm the next day and said the car was done. Water pump was replaced and the recall was done. Everything was done under warranty and didn’t cost me a dime.

Very good experience at Crown Lexus!
Old 08-13-12, 07:56 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^Glad to hear it was replaced under warranty. I also believe that if the water pump leaks later on after the factory warranty expires, it should be covered under the powertrain warranty 72K/ 6 years
Old 08-13-12, 10:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Rbtmatt
Took the F into Crown Lexus (Ontario, CA) for the water pump leak. Hugo was great and got me in and out quickly with a loaner vehicle. He said a little leakage is "normal" for the water pump but they would take a look at it and replace if necessary. He also said there was a recall on the accelerator and would replace it at the same time.

He called me around 5pm the next day and said the car was done. Water pump was replaced and the recall was done. Everything was done under warranty and didn’t cost me a dime.

Very good experience at Crown Lexus!
I wouldn't put a lot of trust in someone who told me a little leakage is normal. ZERO leakage is normal. If a water pump leaks even a drop, the seals are on their way out for sure. There is a hole drilled in the pump body to allow seepage specifically to see when this happens so the tech knows it's time to replace the pump before it fails catastrophically.

If there is ANY leakage at all, you should be getting a new pump under warranty if your powertrain warranty is still in effect.

Over in the 2IS forum there is a poor unlucky soul whose IS350 water pump failed and he managed not to notice a problem and drove it until it seized while on a long trip. You really don't want be him. Lexus Extra Care is denying his claim for a new engine suggesting it was his fault. If you see even ONE DROP of leakage, you want it documented by Lexus immediately to cover yourself should something like this happen to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump leaking