IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of a new ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 08:15 AM
Poser999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of a new ISF

I really want to like the car. I love the sound, the look, the power. I like the Lexus name.

I don't like the ride quality and the cost of tires/brakes... not to mention all the reports of squeaky brakes and the 12,000 replacement intervals.

I want to like the auto transmission and hope that I will, but fear that I will regret the decision.

There are a few in stock locally and I am considering taking the wife along for a test drive. My emotions say buy the car. My logic says NO. Please help.
Old 04-18-11, 08:29 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I can talk you out of it. In fact, I'm going to do just the opposite.

Your major concerns aren't much a concern when you think about it. Tires do wear quickly but unless your going to buy a crap econobox you are likely going to have performance tires that are going to wear quickly.

Brakes are easy. Drive the stock ones until they need replacing (~15,000 miles) or if you really you feel you don't like the noise, which isn't on every car and isn't as noticeable as you may think... Once you decide to replace, pay $200 for a set of Hawk's or other aftermarket set for the front and problem solved. Replacing them on your own is probably the simplest thing to do on this car.

You'll love the transmission. I came from all manual cars and was skeptical of the auto myself (Viper, Z06, Cobra). But now that I have it I love it. I daily drive my car and can just cruise if I want in auto or when I want to play I put it in sport mode and it feels like i'm playing a video game. Not to mention when it comes to racing you will never be "out-shifted". It's allowed me to take a few cars that I was under horsepowered to, specifically a 5.0 w/ intake, exhaust, and tune with a manual. Also, a intake, exhaust c5 z06. Both those cars would beat me on paper but because of the quick shifting tranny in the is-f i was able to best both of them.

I say go for it. The 11's are great.
Old 04-18-11, 09:09 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to get about 20-30k miles with stock tires depending on ur alignment and which brand u got with the car. I'm at 25k miles and my rear is still looking good, its the front that I have bald tires in the inside tread. You can use other brands that will have more tread life so that is another solution. The brakes, I'm not sure where you get the 12k interval but I'm pretty sure they last longer then that. Also you don't have to get the expensive oem, you can get aftermarket pads and rotors. Will save you some money and get rid of the dust and squeak. The ride quality issue, i think can be solved with better comforting tires or aftermarket springs and shocks or coilovers.
Old 04-18-11, 09:57 AM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same situation.Believe me I took over a year to decide and I had the same concerns. I finally bought the 2011 F and do not regret my decision for one moment. I also test drove and considered M3 and S4.The ride in the ISF is very comfortable, more so than my previous GS; it is firm but never harsh and absorbs bumps very well. Remember the suspension was changed for 2011. At this level high maintenance comes with this category no matter what you buy in this category.However Lexus is known for reliability and getting 15-25000 miles from OEM tires is pretty good.You cans always buy more comfort-riding or longer tread life tires( however I think that is defeating the purpose of the car).
If you are thinking in this class or category you will not regret buying a 2011 ISF. Good luck with your decision.

F for Fast,Fun and Fenomenal!

Last edited by Bobisf; 04-18-11 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 04-18-11, 10:10 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bobisf
I was in the same situation.Believe me I took over a year to decide and I had the same concerns. I finally bought the 2011 F and do not regret my decision for one moment. I also test drove and considered M3 and S4.The ride in the ISF is very comfortable, more so than my previous GS; it is firm but never harsh and absorbs bumps very well. Remember the suspension was changed for 2011. At this level high maintenance comes with this category no matter what you buy in this category.However Lexus is known for reliability and getting 15-25000 miles from OEM tires is pretty good.You cans always buy more comfort-riding or longer tread life tires( however I think that is defeating the purpose of the car).
If you are thinking in this class or category you will not regret buying a 2011 ISF. Good luck with your decision.

F for Fast,Fun and Fenomenal!
Agreed!! Well said!!
Old 04-18-11, 10:38 AM
Poser999
Driver School Candidate

Default updated opinion

As you can tell, my mind was consumed by this car... mainly because I had a test drive planned today. Just back from the test drive. The ride quality is MUCH improved over the 09 I tested before. Didn't feel like I was slamming into bumps this time. Firm, yes. Harsh, no.

New observations: The interior is cramped. The trunk is tiny and I don't think the back seat folds. Hmmm.

Need to bring ipod along next time. Can i simply plug my ipod into the usb using the standard ipod cable or do I need a special adaptor? What about a thumb drive with mp3's into the usb slot?

Anyway, I like it better in some regards and less in others. Still need to get my wife to ride along and then drive the darn thing.
Old 04-18-11, 10:39 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy and be happy!!!
Old 04-18-11, 12:37 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poser999
I really want to like the car. I love the sound, the look, the power. I like the Lexus name.

I don't like the ride quality and the cost of tires/brakes... not to mention all the reports of squeaky brakes and the 12,000 replacement intervals.

I want to like the auto transmission and hope that I will, but fear that I will regret the decision.

There are a few in stock locally and I am considering taking the wife along for a test drive. My emotions say buy the car. My logic says NO. Please help.
go with the logic, save some $$, luxury car will cost you some $$$ to maintain. If you think you are not ready for this then get something else. I have loved this car since I test drove it. I test drove M3 , c63 and this one. I wanted to buy the M3 but after talking with other M3 owners they all mentioned that one needs to have deep pockets to maintain german cars. I spoke with one co worker who drives a 08 F and he mentioned that the maintainence cost on the F is way lower than the german cars. Also a lot depends on how you drive it. If you want to track the car and drive like you stole it then you will need to change pads and tires early. So think about it.
Old 04-18-11, 12:51 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

most of us have isf's so you came to the wrong place if you wanna be talked out of one
hahaha
try the m3 sites, id love to see what they say
Old 04-18-11, 01:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Brakes are the easiest things you could replace on a vehicle. Do not let that get in a way from you purchasing the vehicle.
Old 04-18-11, 01:39 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I just turned 34k on my odometer and I'm on my original tires and brakes. I still have a few months left on front brakes and tires. Not too shabby.
Old 04-18-11, 01:57 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poser999
As you can tell, my mind was consumed by this car... mainly because I had a test drive planned today. Just back from the test drive. The ride quality is MUCH improved over the 09 I tested before. Didn't feel like I was slamming into bumps this time. Firm, yes. Harsh, no.

New observations: The interior is cramped. The trunk is tiny and I don't think the back seat folds. Hmmm.

Need to bring ipod along next time. Can i simply plug my ipod into the usb using the standard ipod cable or do I need a special adaptor? What about a thumb drive with mp3's into the usb slot?

Anyway, I like it better in some regards and less in others. Still need to get my wife to ride along and then drive the darn thing.
the back seat isn't adjustable, the interior is cramp. u can sync mp3 players with usb or bluetooth. I'm not sure if a thumb drive will work but give it a shot. Yes you can simply use ur ipod cable.
Old 04-18-11, 02:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There's very little wrong with this product, IMHO. Back seat leg room is quite small, but then again, many F owners rarely have adults in the rear seats (more so of a baby seat situation for some). The lack of tuning and accessible mods, unlike the German counterparts, may be a negative, but the F came great off the line as is. I like that the rear doesn't fold, as it would produce more cabin noise than what Lexus probably wanted when building this car. As hahahaf mentioned, you're best best to find some negative opinions on the F would be to check out the fanbois over at those bimmer forums.
Old 04-18-11, 05:37 PM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The M3 and the IS F, despite the fact that they compete against each other directly, are very different cars once you've driven both. It's also made by a company that's been doing beastly sedans for decades. To say that the IS F is SOOO much better than an M3 is just a matter of opinion, which everyone is more than happy to share.

I honestly believe that the IS F appeals to a really particular breed of owners. For the most part we bought the car because it speaks to us in a very emotional way, and not really in an economical or practical way. I mean think about it, it's got expensive, great components (brakes, tires). It's got a thirsty V8 (not an economical daily driver). It's got a stiff suspension from the factory (not great for bumps on city streets). But I think I can speak for everyone by saying, we all could care less about any of that. We love the car, plain and simple. We pay to upkeep our ISFs because the car is worth it to us. If it's not worth it to you, I definitely recommend a M3 or RS4.

Drive the car. If you giggle like a school girl when you hit the gas and take the turns, then mission accomplished.
Old 04-18-11, 06:56 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Well said. A purchase like this doesn't have to be very logical, apart from 2-door vs 4-door for family reasons. If the car pushes your buttons and you can afford it, go for it.

Regarding rear legroom. Yes, it's worse than in the e90 m3 and the c63. But think about it, this is a performance car that is driven aggressively. In order to drive aggressively, you need to be relatively close to the steering wheel. I'm 6'1 and can sit in the back behind the driver's seat and be comfortable.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a new ISF