IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of a new ISF

Old 04-20-11, 05:58 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F is a blast. As mentioned earlier you gotta pay to play. It's not nearly as bad as other high end sports cars though in cost. I feel that once you take it out a few times you'll love it. My girlfriend who hates cars (truck girl) loves to drive my F. In fact she may be as in love with it as I am. The car is a ton of fun to drive that's why it's my toy and not a daily but I could daily it for sure.
Old 04-20-11, 06:19 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
If I had the opportunity to do it all over again I wouldn't purchase an IS-F. Listen to yourself and make the decision to sell your -250 yourself unless you are using the forum as an advertisement to sell your car.
Agreed 100%! If I had to do it over again it would be the BEAST CTS-V EVERY TIME! Suspension is worlds better than the F's, the engine is just plain SAVAGE, and frankly I like the interior far better, and room for 4 ppl, the IS rear leg room is pathetic! Not to mention the wheel alignment issues I have had! There is a lot of room for improvement on this car! The transmission is a pain in the @#* all it does is shift, and takes FOREVER to downshift, what Jeremy Clarkson says about the F's trans is spot on IMHO, Aftermarket support for the vehicle sucks! Brakes the squeal like a stuck pig! Head room is horrendous! Oh and if you buy an 08 model don't forget how Lexus basically crapped on us when asked about the VERY poor finish on the factory BBS wheels that were so boasted about in the sales brochures! If you were not aware the brake pad material LITERALLY etched into the wheel finish!
Ya, if I had to do it over again my answer would be NO THANKS! mine is on it's way back in for service this week, for brake squeal... AGAIN... Auto wipers which work 20% of the time... twice a month the thing just cranks and won't start until it sits for 10 minutes... Parking brake pad keeps falling off... wheel alignment again (5th time in 15k miles). Hope this helps...

Last edited by ming15237; 04-20-11 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 01:59 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like OP is nitpicking. There is no such thing as a perfect car, so you need to decide whether those compromises are deal breakers for you. If you are looking for a performance family car with a comfy backseat and utility trunk, then the F is the wrong car. You should be looking at a CTS-V or an E63.

With that said, I've taken the F on various road trips (5+ hrs) with two friends in the backseat that slept like babies through big bumps and dips, so I wouldn't say that the rear seating is terrible either.
Old 04-20-11, 06:37 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

ming obviously your car is def. not a master piece, but overall F is truly an awesome car...Sure it could be better, but there is nothing out there that is PERFECT.

i just sold my car last week after owning it for nearly 3 years and car was def. rock solid, i would buy F again and will def. pick over current M3 & C63.
Old 04-20-11, 06:57 PM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

CTS V! Hands down... IMO

If the interior looks cheap - My brother must have gotten the exception!
Old 04-20-11, 07:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ming15237
Agreed 100%! If I had to do it over again it would be the BEAST CTS-V EVERY TIME! Suspension is worlds better than the F's, the engine is just plain SAVAGE, and frankly I like the interior far better, and room for 4 ppl, the IS rear leg room is pathetic! Not to mention the wheel alignment issues I have had! There is a lot of room for improvement on this car! The transmission is a pain in the @#* all it does is shift, and takes FOREVER to downshift, what Jeremy Clarkson says about the F's trans is spot on IMHO, Aftermarket support for the vehicle sucks! Brakes the squeal like a stuck pig! Head room is horrendous! Oh and if you buy an 08 model don't forget how Lexus basically crapped on us when asked about the VERY poor finish on the factory BBS wheels that were so boasted about in the sales brochures! If you were not aware the brake pad material LITERALLY etched into the wheel finish!
Ya, if I had to do it over again my answer would be NO THANKS! mine is on it's way back in for service this week, for brake squeal... AGAIN... Auto wipers which work 20% of the time... twice a month the thing just cranks and won't start until it sits for 10 minutes... Parking brake pad keeps falling off... wheel alignment again (5th time in 15k miles). Hope this helps...
Interesting.

Yours is the only car I've heard of that has had consistent, multiple issues. Sorry about your luck.

Haven't had any of your issues. Fwiw, all of those issues would be considered standard operating procedure for the Germans as they "don't effect driveability"...lol. Just sayin'.
Old 04-20-11, 08:03 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I so hate my car that I will marry it..
Old 04-21-11, 06:24 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting.

Yours is the only car I've heard of that has had consistent, multiple issues. Sorry about your luck.

Haven't had any of your issues. Fwiw, all of those issues would be considered standard operating procedure for the Germans as they "don't effect driveability"...lol. Just sayin'.
Agreed about this being a "SOP" for a German vehicle which is why I would NEVER under any circumstance in life buy another German vehicle. My findings with their vehicles has been usually good for the warranty period but not so much there after. My problems for what it's worth does not make my car crap by any means, however, I feel there are better alternatives out there to the F.
As far as the interior of the CTS-V being inferior in relation to the interior.. I could NOT disagree more! And the optional Recaro's are simply awesome!
Old 04-21-11, 06:39 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Now that's funny...lmao!
Old 04-21-11, 11:45 AM
aznking
Driver School Candidate

dude if you have that much doubt than dont buy the F. for those of us who owned one we know what is like and can do.
Old 04-21-11, 01:59 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
The salesman will give her away...

The mechanic is the best man and takes it out for one last night at the drags...

You give it half your stuff when you two part ways?
Old 04-21-11, 03:11 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The salesman will give her away...

The mechanic is the best man and takes it out for one last night at the drags...

You give it half your stuff when you two part ways?
I have a prenup..
Old 04-21-11, 07:01 PM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Since I'm very familiar with both the CTS-V and the ISF I'll weigh in briefly here.

The CTS-V is "a bigger car" in almost every way. Bigger engine, bigger interior, bigger trunk, etc. The car is sort of in a class with the C63 (engine-wise) if you ask me.

The engine is absolutely stellar, no doubt. The suspension is incredibly more friendly to the daily driver than the ISF.

The interior has a deceivingly large amount of leg room and it doesn't have a crap interior exactly, but it's truthfully not the same quality as a Lexus. The majority of the accent panels are made from plastic; not wood, carbon fiber, or woven aluminum. I do like the LED track lighting throughout the interior, but it doesn't really serve a purpose except to look cool. Yes, it's made by GM and let's be honest, it's a Cadillac, plain and simple. It's a domestic, and I've never been a fan of them at all when it comes to fit and finish. To each their own.

Look at it this way, if you want "the world's fastest sedan to tour the Nurburgring", then the CTS-V is it (or was when it came out).

Everyone has their opinion and like someone said earlier in this thread, there is no perfect car... just your perfect car. The best we can do is provide you with our feedback and you make the decision. And by now, I'm sure you've gotten enough colorful feedback from us.

My ISF and I have been in love since the day we met, but there's no way I would marry her... ever. I'd rather trade her in when something better comes along, LOL.
Old 04-21-11, 07:12 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Without this becoming an IS F versus a CTS-V/M3/C63 thread, I just wanted to reiterate what some have mentioned. You buy a car for YOURSELF, and no one else. The F might not have as much power as the CTS-V or the pedigree of an M or AMG, but those who've purchased one felt that immediate connection with the car. It is what drew me to my F when I got her in 2008. It wasn't even a performance issue or what types of materials were used on the interior- when I sat in the F for the first time, I knew this was the car for me. And since I'm the one driving it, it makes sense that it should be most appealing to me. And hearing that engine roar is more than enough to put a smile on my face!
Old 04-21-11, 08:07 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Without this becoming an IS F versus a CTS-V/M3/C63 thread, I just wanted to reiterate what some have mentioned. You buy a car for YOURSELF, and no one else. The F might not have as much power as the CTS-V or the pedigree of an M or AMG, but those who've purchased one felt that immediate connection with the car. It is what drew me to my F when I got her in 2008. It wasn't even a performance issue or what types of materials were used on the interior- when I sat in the F for the first time, I knew this was the car for me. And since I'm the one driving it, it makes sense that it should be most appealing to me. And hearing that engine roar is more than enough to put a smile on my face!

Very well said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk me out of a new ISF