IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of a new ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 07:18 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poser999
I really want to like the car. I love the sound, the look, the power. I like the Lexus name.

I don't like the ride quality and the cost of tires/brakes... not to mention all the reports of squeaky brakes and the 12,000 replacement intervals.

I want to like the auto transmission and hope that I will, but fear that I will regret the decision.

There are a few in stock locally and I am considering taking the wife along for a test drive. My emotions say buy the car. My logic says NO. Please help.
If you have so many concerns already, you should not buy this car. None of the potential problems you mentioned affected my car, but then i could be one the lucky ones. regardless, with so many great cars out there to choose from, you should go with the one that makes you feel the most comfortable. 65k is a high price tag for a regret.
Old 04-18-11, 08:00 PM
shot
Rookie

when you're buying a performance car that costs $65k new, it's not about the gas mileage, how long the brakes or tires will last. it's about the style & PERFORMANCE! buy a similar car such as a porsche, corvette or whatever and they will all cost $$$$$ to own & operate. and when you do that comparison, the F is actually a bargain compared to the other high end performance cars. call your insurance agent for different vehicle quotes and you will see that the F will also have low rates. good luck w your decision. Shot
Old 04-18-11, 09:32 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefate
I just turned 34k on my odometer and I'm on my original tires and brakes. I still have a few months left on front brakes and tires. Not too shabby.
I got 16k out of the stock bridgestones in the rear, im at 19k now and will need front pads in the next 3,000 miles. Would need new front rubber too if I didnt just get wheels.... So wear and tear depends on how you drive. I haven't hit a track yet either, just daily the F out of it!
Old 04-19-11, 01:47 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy it, you will love it! Its got sexy looks, comfort, luxury and great power with a big V8. Plus its a very reliable car. Not much else you can ask for really.
Old 04-19-11, 02:09 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

I can't talk you out of it! I want one also!! DO IT!!!
Old 04-19-11, 02:41 AM
jnemo
Driver

I'm sorry, I wish I could talk you out, but I just got mine 3-4 weeks ago.
and it just past the break-in period.
All I can say is I love the car~ espcially, in sport mode.
My wife drove it and she loves the car, too. She's not even a car enthusiast, and she barely know anything about cars, not to mention that she doesn't even know what suspension does. lol
good luck with your purchase~ if you do get it, please post up some pictures. ^^
Old 04-19-11, 07:42 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default 2011isf

how about looking at a 2011 cadillac CTS-V sedan,50,000mile service free , more room in the back seat , tons more power and much more comfortable and handling as well.
Old 04-19-11, 08:19 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

IMO even the CTS-V still has that "cheap" GM interior..
Old 04-19-11, 08:38 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default cts-v

Wow , still can't past that 90's GM quality out of your head , eh ?
I've test driven the isf and I must say the caddy surpasses the lexus interior in some key areas...this is 2011 man !
Old 04-19-11, 11:17 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

If you don't like to pay for tires and brakes, don't buy a high performance car. Also don't buy a M3, C63, RS4, EVO X, STI, Porsche, Lotus, Corvette, CTS-V, etc. All these cars use max performance summer tires with tread wear ratings that are sub-200, and big high performance/expensive brakes. It's just a decision you have to make. Pay to play as they say.

Buy the car, you won't regret it.
Old 04-19-11, 11:27 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B D HEMI

I've test driven the isf and I must say the caddy surpasses the lexus interior in some key areas...this is 2011 man !
Yea I test drove one too. Could care less about 90s GM junk. The interior felt cheap just like the new Z06 interior for the price your paying. Yea I know its 2011. Thanks for making sure that I knew.
Old 04-19-11, 11:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
go with the logic, save some $$, luxury car will cost you some $$$ to maintain. If you think you are not ready for this then get something else. I have loved this car since I test drove it. I test drove M3 , c63 and this one. I wanted to buy the M3 but after talking with other M3 owners they all mentioned that one needs to have deep pockets to maintain german cars. I spoke with one co worker who drives a 08 F and he mentioned that the maintainence cost on the F is way lower than the german cars. Also a lot depends on how you drive it. If you want to track the car and drive like you stole it then you will need to change pads and tires early. So think about it.
M3 is free maintenance so I'm not sure what your friend is referring to.
The C63 is a completely different store. Regular MB maintenance is ridiculously expensive.

Originally Posted by Poser999
As you can tell, my mind was consumed by this car... mainly because I had a test drive planned today. Just back from the test drive. The ride quality is MUCH improved over the 09 I tested before. Didn't feel like I was slamming into bumps this time. Firm, yes. Harsh, no.

New observations: The interior is cramped. The trunk is tiny and I don't think the back seat folds. Hmmm.

Need to bring ipod along next time. Can i simply plug my ipod into the usb using the standard ipod cable or do I need a special adaptor? What about a thumb drive with mp3's into the usb slot?

Anyway, I like it better in some regards and less in others. Still need to get my wife to ride along and then drive the darn thing.
There isn't a ton of rear seat room for adults, so it depends on your needs. I'd disagree strongly with your comment about the trunk. We just got back from a 2500 km trip that had my golf clubs, full size Ogio suitcase, backpacks, rain gear, etc. etc.

The back seat was comfortable enough for our 100 lb pup.

Originally Posted by B D HEMI

The Alacantra Recaros would be the only thing I'd trade for in the CTS V interior. I also almost bought one and was not as blown away with the interior as you seem to be.
Old 04-19-11, 11:37 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

http://youtu.be/x5jjFUS8mbI Watch this video then make your choice!!

I say buy a M3!!!!!!

Last edited by Caliguy350; 04-20-11 at 01:48 AM. Reason: infor
Old 04-20-11, 04:58 AM
Poser999
Driver School Candidate

Default more

Good points here regarding brakes and tires on sports cars. They will all be expensive. The ISF is no different.

I need to decide if the interior space is OK. That is what it all comes down to.
Old 04-20-11, 05:34 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again I wouldn't purchase an IS-F. Listen to yourself and make the decision to sell your -250 yourself unless you are using the forum as an advertisement to sell your car.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a new ISF