IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Chuckwalla Raceway 4-9-11

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 04:08 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chuckwalla Raceway 4-9-11

Spent the day, Saturday, at Chuckwalla Raceway in Indio, Ca. with My F, my brother-in-law and his C5 Vette. During lunch they let us drive the track, and we put 16 or so laps on it and had a great time. As for the F, I can not be happier with the performance of the car, the shifts are smooth and precise up and down, and the brakes are flawless for what I need on the track.

The first few laps were spent learning the line, and after that I was working on braking points. I kept pushing the F further into to the corners lap after lap and the brakes did everything I asked of them. There were a couple of times I went in a little too deep and the car wanted to understeer but next time around I adjusted my line.

Couple quick points, this car wants to be tracked and if you have not had an opportunity to you are really missing out, that is the place to open it up and see what it can do. Second, I read many posts regarding brake pads, for my money I say stay with the OEM, when you can pick up a set of fronts from Sewell for $250, why go anywhere else. And if you ever intend to track the car there is no way you want to put on ceramic composite pads.

Now to be patience until the next track event.

Track Layout 2.68 miles:

We had the track to ourselves for most of the laps, a 911, and GT500 came out but only did a couple laps. Too bad because I wanted to see how the F would do with them.

A few of the other cars, fun to watch, and one heck of a hobby for these guys:

Last edited by hwy1isf; 04-10-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 02:56 AM
mlcoolj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like is was a nice day out!
Old 04-11-11, 07:21 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mlcoolj
looks like is was a nice day out!
It rained a couple of times but it was light and dried quickly. The next race days are June 24-26.
Old 04-11-11, 09:46 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Wow, they let you go out there during lunch? Awesome!
Old 04-11-11, 01:23 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time, and I agree, it's a very intoxicating experience when you get the car in its element.

Was this your first time tracking the car with that setup vs stock?

Did you get lap times at all?
Old 04-11-11, 01:40 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Sounds like you had a good time, and I agree, it's a very intoxicating experience when you get the car in its element.

Was this your first time tracking the car with that setup vs stock?

Did you get lap times at all?
Yes, this was the first time with this set up, and the car handled the track very well, I'm looking forward to June in Fontana where I will get lap times. No official lap times this weekend. The Formula Atlantic cars were doing the 2.68 miles in around 1:40+, and the Panos, Cobra, and Mustangs were turning 2:00+ .
Old 04-11-11, 03:11 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did the F compare to an "old school" c5? did he have any mods?
Old 04-11-11, 03:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool! Glad you had a great time. The freedom to just speed without constantly looking over the shoulder for a cop is a great feeling. Did you like the track layout with all the curves?
Old 04-11-11, 07:45 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TripleBlkF
how did the F compare to an "old school" c5? did he have any mods?
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Very cool! Glad you had a great time. The freedom to just speed without constantly looking over the shoulder for a cop is a great feeling. Did you like the track layout with all the curves?
I followed him for one lap but then decided to open it up and ran away from him after that. A big difference is the paddle shift in the turns, with the F I just have to focus on the line and braking points, my brother in law was having to shift many times around this track.

I really enjoyed the layout, on two of the straights I pushed the F to over 100+ before braking hard for the turn. A good driver probably could have gone much faster. With 17 turns I was just having a total blast especially in turn 13 which is a banked sweeper where you can really get on it.

As I mentioned before these cars love the tracks, and with no cops or cars coming in the opposite direction this is the place to play with F, not on the streets with moms in their mini vans.