IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 06:47 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
How much did it run you?
I went with the 8 yr / 75k miles for $1,765.
Old 02-28-12, 06:54 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ wow thats cheap.. i purcahsed an outside warranty for 3years and it cost me 2500. Might need to have that cancel and call Jerry.
Old 02-28-12, 10:21 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I'm 99% sure that headers will void your warranty, standard and extended. The extended platinum warranty, 6 year/100,000 miles, no deductible, is around $2,450 plus tax.
The Mag-Moss Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act) makes it illegal for them to void your warranty unless they can prove your mod caused the failure. However you are in for a big fight with Lexus over the proof.
Old 02-28-12, 05:18 PM
Endgame
Driver

WOW. Nice buy J2K.
Old 02-28-12, 07:29 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^. Given the complexity of the headers' installation, I'd say that Lexus will have dozens of possible reasons why your warranty should be voided (eg: you moved the dipstick and now it's located in a place not designed by Lexus).
Old 02-29-12, 03:18 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^. Given the complexity of the headers' installation, I'd say that Lexus will have dozens of possible reasons why your warranty should be voided (eg: you moved the dipstick and now it's located in a place not designed by Lexus).
Yeah, agree. Or they'd say you installed headers so you ARE a dipstick.
Old 03-08-12, 05:56 PM
Super6
Driver

Ended up buying the 6 yr 100k mile warranty from Jerry today for $1590. Cheapest I could find by a mile.
Old 03-08-12, 06:19 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I assume that's not a Lexus warranty but third party, correct? AFAIK Lexus has its extended warranty prices published on their website, and they all are higher than what you paid. Regardless of the warranty type, I hope you never use it.
Old 03-08-12, 06:41 PM
Super6
Driver

From what I understand it is the Lexus platinum warranty with 0 deductible, only valid at lexus dealership. Jerry said Lexus will ,ail me my docs, and yes I hope I don't have to use it.
Old 03-08-12, 06:43 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume that's not a Lexus warranty but third party, correct? AFAIK Lexus has its extended warranty prices published on their website, and they all are higher than what you paid. Regardless of the warranty type, I hope you never use it.
Jerry sold me a Lexus 2 year Platinum warranty for my RX350 for 650 dollars.

Its like getting your oil changed at the Lexus or a Toyota dealer. Your paying for the mark up.

So far so good on mine. Only the XM radio has crapped out. Which paid for the warranty itself.
Old 03-09-12, 08:21 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I was mentioning the warranty provider because in the past I've seen extended warranties being provided by third party companies and they were printed on their own (third party) form, but in this case when I purchased mine it was on a Lexus official form/brochure (not a dealer's document) at exactly the same price listed on Lexus' website.
Old 03-09-12, 02:31 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
Jerry sold me a Lexus 2 year Platinum warranty for my RX350 for 650 dollars.

Its like getting your oil changed at the Lexus or a Toyota dealer. Your paying for the mark up.

So far so good on mine. Only the XM radio has crapped out. Which paid for the warranty itself.
There is no "2 year" warranty. It may be a 2 year extension onto your original one, which would make it a 6 year (from the original date of sale). And if it only cost $650 I'm guessing it's the lowest mileage limit which is 70K, right?

I personally bought the 8 year 125K Platinum plan (so 4 additional years & 75K miles on top of the original warranty). I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I drive 15-18K miles per year, so when the car is 8 years I should be right at 125K miles. And that's when I will plan to sell it - or maybe slightly sooner so I can say it's still under warranty - and that warranty cost me $3500. I figure it's worth it since I've already had about $4,000 worth of warranty work done in the first 3 years and 50K miles that I have owned the car. If the nav system goes out again and my dash needles fail again then it will have MORE than paid for itself, plus I'm covered on everything else.

I saw a few people mention that installing headers will void the warranty, but i can't see that being true unless they can prove that the headers were directly related to the problem. Like if your nav goes out, they can't say "Sorry, you installed headers so your entire warranty is voided". Right?
Old 03-09-12, 02:33 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Nope, that would be the Lexus Platinum warranty. That is the exact price to the dollar that I was quoted by Jerry for a 6yr/100K warranty on the ISF.
Old 03-09-12, 05:09 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ I was talking about Super6 post (#68), $1590 is not what Lexus charges for its 0-deductible, 6-yr/100,000 miles Platinum Extended Warranty:

Check Lexus Warranty Prices
Old 03-09-12, 07:07 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

You may in for a big shock if you read the extended warranty fine prints. Some will void for mods, such as headers, exhaust, suspension and wheels.

That said, mod-friendly service writer would help and better hope they don't send claim adjuster for visual inspect for warranty repairs when > $xxx.

Originally Posted by jleonard71
There is no "2 year" warranty. It may be a 2 year extension onto your original one, which would make it a 6 year (from the original date of sale). And if it only cost $650 I'm guessing it's the lowest mileage limit which is 70K, right?

I personally bought the 8 year 125K Platinum plan (so 4 additional years & 75K miles on top of the original warranty). I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I drive 15-18K miles per year, so when the car is 8 years I should be right at 125K miles. And that's when I will plan to sell it - or maybe slightly sooner so I can say it's still under warranty - and that warranty cost me $3500. I figure it's worth it since I've already had about $4,000 worth of warranty work done in the first 3 years and 50K miles that I have owned the car. If the nav system goes out again and my dash needles fail again then it will have MORE than paid for itself, plus I'm covered on everything else.

I saw a few people mention that installing headers will void the warranty, but i can't see that being true unless they can prove that the headers were directly related to the problem. Like if your nav goes out, they can't say "Sorry, you installed headers so your entire warranty is voided". Right?

Quick Reply: Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!