IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F values down the road??? Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 07:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't purchase my F thinking it was going to be a collector's item one day. But at the same time, I doubt mkiv supra owners or old mustang owners or even integra owners knew back when they originally purchased their cars that the value would appreciate over time. The IS F to me is a new type of production Lexus has created, which given it's previous models is very un-Lexus-like IMO. It may not be a collector's item now or ever, but I can appreciate its value to me today. Whether someone will have that same appreciation for this vehicle decades from now shall be determined when posters of a new wave of cars are produced after ours have had time to age.

I totally agree with Cary on the post about the GTR v. supra comparison. Depreciation shouldn't factor into whether a car is a collectible or not. Both cars are fantastic- the GTR after that long absence in production, has been sought after heavily as the price of used models have gone down. And the MKIV is such a special car, one, after nearly twenty years since its first production year, is still sought after by car enthusiasts simply because it is their dream come true. Honestly, I had been saving up for a nice used MKIV since hs, but none really popped up to my liking. Getting the first gen IS F instead is still fantastic
Old 02-03-11, 07:35 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markkin
I am not familiar with the 1994 Toyota MKIV. I am assuming that the Toyota MKIV is holding its value because it is no longer produce, but how well will the Toyota Supra hold against the 2009 Nissan GT-R 5 years from now when the 2009 Nissan GT-R will be more affordable. Would someone spend 30k for a 20 year old Toyota Supra MKIV or a 5 year old Nissan GT-R?

Kelly Blue Book project resale value for the Nissan GT-R
http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/nissan/g...0/resale-value

New 100% $80,790.00
2 56% $45,242.40
3 45% $36,355.50
4 36% $29,084.40
5 30% $24,237.00

KBB.com is 100% wrong on a GTR

I have never ever seen a GTR (unless something seriously wrong with it) for under 55k, and lets not forget.... the first year of the GTR was not 80K, it was in the high 60s (68-70K), after nissan realized what they had they bumped the price up $10-12000.00, and even then they were selling way over MSRP (NEW), most GTRs on the market right now are in the 58-65k range, even 3 years old, which is only 2-4k less than the original MSRP.

I dont think there is a question that the GTR is going to be one of those cars that holds its value well above the market of other cars...

my original point was... since the F seems to be leveling off, will it take much more of a hit in a few years? and if not, will it gain value? when its no longer made will it be an iconic toyota nameplate, like the SUPRA?Will it be worth holding onto well after its shelf life? will we see 10-15 year old ISFs still bringing $35,000.00???
Old 02-03-11, 07:38 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.suprahardtopregistry.com/

my 94 was one of 75 in the US!!!

i wish i could buy it back...
Old 02-03-11, 07:55 PM
USBM2011
Driver

so there is just over 11000 93-98 supras sold in 6 different model years.... wonder how that compares the F? if they make ISF for 6 years and sell 3000 a year that would 18000 sold, which seems somewhat rare to me? maybe not as rare as the supra, but still pretty rare in my book which would lead me to believe that holding on to any F would be a good idea even if its not something you plan to drive for 10-15 years, after your done with it, put a cover on it and put it in your garage hahahaha. pull it out and 25 years and see what you got.

imagine if every F owner did that what the value would be in 15 years....
Old 02-03-11, 07:58 PM
markkin
Rookie

I think any car can be a collectible, even an early 1980's Honda Accord are collectible. I highly doubt the Lexus IS-F will hold it value since more Lexus IS-F are being produce.

I think the Toyota Supra MKIV are collectible because it went out of production in the US, and people pay a premium because there was no competitor in the US; however, five years from now, the Nissan GT-R will be affordable which will give people more options on rather they will buy a 20 year Toyota Supra MKIV vs a 5 year old Nissan GT-R.

Did the Toyota Supra MKIV hold its value in Japan where the Nissan GT-R was available for purchase? Is the Toyota Supra MKIV worth less in Japan than the USA because Japanese has the option to purchase the Nissan GT-R or R34, R33, etc?

Personally, for $30k five years from now, if I was in the market for a sport car, I would buy a 2009 Nissan GT-R over a 20 year old Toyota Supra MKIV because it will be easier to locate parts and maintain at the dealership while expensive.

The car annual halves depreciation model is just a model, but hold true majority of the time at the end of five years where the price will slowly level off.

Last edited by markkin; 02-03-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 08:12 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no no no!!!

you guys are ALL WRONG!!!

the supra is a collectable because it was in the Fast and the Furious...

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
Old 02-03-11, 08:15 PM
USBM2011
Driver

I dont see the F being a collectible... not like a shelby cobra, or a ferrari enzo or veyron, or anything a long those lines..... well i guess to the right person, anything is collectible ( i dont mean youll be walking through the garage of the rich and famous and see an ISF sitting in there that they paid 500 grand for)

but i do see the possibility of it being like a older chevell, or camaro, or mustang, which were nothing special in their day but now people pay serious money for those cars with clean, restored, matching VIN, good history records ect. (some of these types of vehicles anywhere from 40-50-60,000.00 or more (100k +))

not to mention all the other cars at these auctions, you see EVERY realm of car coming trough, cars you would never think would be worth a dime, that are selling for ridiculous amounts of money (compared to what they sold for new, or compared to a similarly mass produced car thats worth nothing) just because they were taken care of the owner kept them clean, and it was some what rare in its day... like the ISF is now.

Like a clean Integra Type R, sells now for damn near what they sold new for, just one example.

Dont get me wrong though obviously a mass produced, dime a dozen, Camry, Accord, V6 Mustang, IS-250/350, ES-350 ect will continue to drop value until they will eventually be worth nothing. but even these cars with the proper care and preservation would be worth something years from now.... which leads me to believe the ISF will be something worth holding on to long into the future, youll eventually get your money back!!!! haha

Last edited by USBM2011; 02-03-11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 08:27 PM
markkin
Rookie

I notice a 1994 Toyota Supra TT would go for about $20k in the USA, but in Japan the 1994 Toyota Supra TT would go for about $10K on this website, http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/91...-for-sale.html

In the US, the Toyota Supra seems to hold its value, but not so in Japan. Why? I am guessing the Toyota Supra was still being produce in Japan after production ended in the US, and the Japanese had the Nissan R34, so in the future in the USA, within a few years when the Nissan GT-R depreciates and becomes affordable, the Toyota Supra will not hold its value as compare to now, but still collectible for the die hard fans.
Old 02-03-11, 08:38 PM
USBM2011
Driver

could car values in Japan have anything to do with shaken, not exactly sure what it entails, but i do know that its not cheap, and its something that has to be done every couple years to make sure the car is still road worthy? and a lot of people just replace the car entirely?

which is why you can find a lot of japanese replacement motors and front clips for skylines, supras, integras, sylvias, ect.... very reasonably priced.

maybe someone knows more about this than me, but i was under the impression that most people replace their car every 2-3 years because of this? also it is extremely expensive to just own a car in japan, tons of fees ect.

FYI, on autotrader right now there is :

just over 250 (2008) BMW M3's for sale in the US,

only ***70*** (2008) Lexus IS-Fs for sale in the US!!!

only ***37*** (1994) Toyota Supras for sale in the US!!

and over 1400 (2008) IS-250s for sale in the US

(on all the models i didn't specify trim package, colors, or miles)

got to mean something right???

Food for thought?

Last edited by USBM2011; 02-03-11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 11:11 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was posted by flipside909 on another forum:

So, I learned something pretty interesting about 2008 model year production IS-F's. These are answers direct from my sources. So lets get started...
FACT: There were about 2,733 IS F's made for the USA.

FACT: There are a total of 4,828 IS F's made in the world, including pre-production vehicles.

FACT: All IS F's come off the one production line for every destination

FACT: The last 2008 IS F VIN for the US ended in 4828, with an August 6, 2008 build date.
Old 02-04-11, 05:31 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I honestly could care less if the car becomes highly sought after. I have loved my F since the day i bought it and still love it today. The car has been nothing but good to me so i doubt ill ever let it go.
Old 02-04-11, 08:11 AM
silky f
Driver

Originally Posted by infinus
This was posted by flipside909 on another forum:

So, I learned something pretty interesting about 2008 model year production IS-F's. These are answers direct from my sources. So lets get started...
FACT: There were about 2,733 IS F's made for the USA.

FACT: There are a total of 4,828 IS F's made in the world, including pre-production vehicles.

FACT: All IS F's come off the one production line for every destination

FACT: The last 2008 IS F VIN for the US ended in 4828, with an August 6, 2008 build date.
WOW only 2,733 ISF for the USA?
Old 02-04-11, 08:20 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

i only could see the 11 being a collectible if they decided to quit making them in 12 because of the face lift, suspension change and the interior changes. Other than that. No. Look at the E36 M3 4 door. That was one of the only 4 door M3s up until the E90s. There wasn't any kind of change in depreciation on those.
Old 02-04-11, 10:01 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silkyis
WOW only 2,733 ISF for the USA?
That is for model year 2008, I don't know how many 09 10 and 11's there are
Old 02-04-11, 10:42 AM
ARehman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fapout
i only could see the 11 being a collectible if they decided to quit making them in 12 because of the face lift, suspension change and the interior changes. Other than that. No. Look at the E36 M3 4 door. That was one of the only 4 door M3s up until the E90s. There wasn't any kind of change in depreciation on those.
But to be fair and make this more of an apples to apples comparison, the ISF is the first generation of performance cars from Lexus and is the first ever production vehicle with the F badge. The E30 M3 was the first true M car for sale in the US if I remember correctly and a good condition example will still bring 25k dollars, when the price was only around 30k dollars. The reason being that it was a limited production vehicle, where as the E36 was extremely common with the exception of the lightweight model which was rare and still can bring more than original sticker price if in pristine condition. I think if anyone owns a NM F, and keeps it in pristine condition it could be viewed as a collector car. The rest of the F's will hold their value pretty well and in the future could see a high resale value even 15 years from now, especially if poduction of V8 cars moves to hybrids.

Quick Reply: IS-F values down the road??? Collectible?