IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 12:39 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
IMO... get the Carbotechs... and if you ever decide to track your car... their pads are up to the task. And I wouldn't get any pad that couldn't do 'Front & Rear' matched.
How's the fitment on them? Is the front pad area slightly smaller than stock (a few mm's or so)?
Old 02-03-11, 03:53 PM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the market for some new pads also, but my only requirement is that they don't SQUEAL and SQUEAK. My current OEM pads (19k on them) squeak and squeal so bad that my neighbors complain daily. I don't autocross or track my car, only city and highway driving. I can deal with the brake dust, but CANNOT deal with the ear-splitting squeaking. What would you guys recommend? Also, what about installation? I don't have the know-how to do this in my garage, nor the tools (jack/lift,etc.)
Old 02-03-11, 05:13 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^ Have you thought about this LSB for your current OEM squeal? A little good articulation of the squeal/squeak should get you some new rear pads, oh and the dust is still a battle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alerships.html
Old 02-03-11, 05:53 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so it looks like there was a fitment issue with the carbotech bobcats 1521, but correct me if im wrong i think i remeber another thread addressing the issue about the fitment. It seems like the forst round of pads the fitment was off and that carbotech then found out about the issue and then revised them. And now they fitment is not an issue? I forgot but there was a particular person from carbotech addresssing the issue for us. I need to buy a set asap and decided if the fitment is really resolved i am gong with the carbotechs front and rear, even though the rears have ton of meat on them still. I just cant stand when i detail my car, i then drive about 15 miles and the wheels are just covered with dust. though i love the bit of the stock.
Old 02-03-11, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Carbotech's fitment issues have not been resolved. Not enough volume to justify a custom mold for the IS F, so they're using an off-the-shelf friction piece which isn't an ideal fit for the F's rotors. Truth is, we need more people to buy pads from Carbotech to solve this problem...
Old 02-04-11, 06:59 AM
X20A
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinus
I sent you a PM
Thanks a lot for all your help! I think I'm pretty set on the Project Mu Type NS pads for front and rears!

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Anyone try or have Hawk HPS or EBC Yellowstuff pads on their F? Trying to see other alternative to the Bobcats (fitment issues) and Project Mu's (pricey).
Although you say it's pricey, for me to have the Project Mu pads shipped is still 50% cheaper than getting ripped off at the stealership in Canada to the tune of $866+tax for OEM front and rear pads LOL.
Old 02-04-11, 08:49 AM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^ Have you thought about this LSB for your current OEM squeal? A little good articulation of the squeal/squeak should get you some new rear pads, oh and the dust is still a battle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alerships.html
Purdue,

Yep, I found that link shortly after I posted my question. I have that LSB printed out and ready to show my Service Rep later today when I take my car in.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-11, 01:01 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Carbotech's fitment issues have not been resolved. Not enough volume to justify a custom mold for the IS F, so they're using an off-the-shelf friction piece which isn't an ideal fit for the F's rotors. Truth is, we need more people to buy pads from Carbotech to solve this problem...
this is disappointing to hear as i've already installed both the front and rear bobcats. what will the implications be if i continue to use them? i don't want to purchase another set of pads and i don't think i can return these for i have already used them.
Old 02-04-11, 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'm still running mine too. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I'm also running rotors I only paid $50 to acquire. I might not be happy if I put brand new rotors and Carbotech pads on them because the pad as built today does not sweep the entire rotor surface.
Old 02-08-11, 11:03 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X20A

Although you say it's pricey, for me to have the Project Mu pads shipped is still 50% cheaper than getting ripped off at the stealership in Canada to the tune of $866+tax for OEM front and rear pads LOL.
Ouch! I know what you mean. I bought some aftermarket Raybestos rotors for $198 shipped compared to $500 for a set of OEMs. Just measured and I'm at 50% on my rotors, but I'm hearing a grinding noise when I'm braking sometimes. The outer pad on the rotor looks ok. Maybe 2-3 mm left and the wear indicator isn't hitting the rotor. I just hope the inner pads aren't worn to the backing plate, so I bought the rotors just in case. Now I need to decide on front pads. It's either Project Mu's or OEMs from Sewell for $250. My rears are fine. And hopefully after I change the front pads, the rear brakes will squeak to get the LSB on them for new ones lol.