Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm? - Page 9 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?

Old 02-15-17, 07:58 PM   #121
Pushtape
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
Just got my
Monster back from massive 60k service . The tech told me it's he belt, pulley , or AC. I told him my AC cycles every 10 seconds causing a slight rpm fluctuation and my tensioner and pulley have already been replaced. I want them to replace my AC compressor . Going to talk to the foreman and Lexus extra care adjuster . It's bs that o have a warranty and they don't want to attempt a fix. I don't want the car screatching when I shift
Err, does this happen with AC on and off? I'm not sure I believe its related to the compressor. Also: I have always heard this noise as well and never known really what it was. To me it just kind of sounds like sweeping a broom once on a smooth garage floor or something if that makes sense lol
Pushtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 08:07 PM   #122
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Quote:
Just got my
Monster back from massive 60k service . The tech told me it's he belt, pulley , or AC. I told him my AC cycles every 10 seconds causing a slight rpm fluctuation and my tensioner and pulley have already been replaced. I want them to replace my AC compressor . Going to talk to the foreman and Lexus extra care adjuster . It's bs that o have a warranty and they don't want to attempt a fix. I don't want the car screatching when I shift
It's very unlikely it is the compressor itself. It may be undercharged or overcharged, but the compressor's resistance is entirely based on the system's charge. Our compressors are extremely smart, and the odds of it being the compressor itself are pretty small. Before swapping anything I would want to see the gauges when the A/C is operating to know exactly what charge level is in the system.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-15-17 at 08:12 PM.
lobuxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:45 PM   #123
markitekt
Driver School Candidate

I have a "slip" noise in a 2012 isf with 25k miles. I believe it to be the clutch packs in the trans. With a locked torque converter, something has to slip. It seems to sound like it comes from below the car in my ears. Heard the same sound in other isf cars. I don't blame drive belts for it.
markitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 05:01 PM   #124
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I just had my second round of drivebelt and pulley don't this afternoon. It got rid of it. I'm going to wait for it to come back and then the warranty people will replace the AC. I also have a rpm variance at idle every 5 seconds with AC on. Formeman said it's the AC Or belt. I replaced the belt and pulley and they will replace the AC if noise comes back. It's not tranny
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 10:58 AM   #125
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
I just had my second round of drivebelt and pulley don't this afternoon. It got rid of it. I'm going to wait for it to come back and then the warranty people will replace the AC. I also have a rpm variance at idle every 5 seconds with AC on. Formeman said it's the AC Or belt. I replaced the belt and pulley and they will replace the AC if noise comes back. It's not tranny
FYI - I have had my AC compressor replaced, and the belt slip noise never stopped.

Digger08
digger08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:09 PM   #126
CometVR4
Pole Position

I was getting this noise was well. I replaced my belt with the Gates Racing Belt from rockauto.com and it seems to be holding up really well. It's been two months and no noise.
CometVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 01:25 PM   #127
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I had mine done two weeks ago and it's been dope to be able to shift and not have my car sound like a yelping dog
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 08:38 AM   #128
cleethree
Driver

Didn't have as much luck as some of you here. I'm having the issue on my 2012 with only 11k miles. Had the tech confirm the slipping noise on a test drive. However they were saying that it wouldn't be fixed under the powertrain warrranty.

Im going to look to replace the belt out of pocket. Should I go OEM or aftermarket?? I heard someone mention the rock auto racing belt? I'm also considering gates green and the continental belt. Any suggestions here?

Last edited by cleethree; 06-20-17 at 08:55 AM.
cleethree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 11:24 PM   #129
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

My theory would be that the almost instantaneous change in engine RPM (due to the quick shift of the transmission) is causing that accessory belt squeak, just my thought anyway.
gc86 is offline   Reply With Quote