IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tracking my F for first time have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 12:56 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Tracking my F for first time have questions.

Hey guys looking for advice regarding tracking ISF in spring this is first time that I have done this type of racing, so far I've looked into different driving association in my area NASA, and SCDA or the two that I'm considering right now both will help me retrieve my license.

Here are few question, if I missed anything please feel free to chime in.

(1)I like the program that NASA has with it's HPDE program to begin with and SCDA has a great 2011 schedule. Or should I just go to Limerock and get my license thru them?

(2)What should I expect regarding cost ?
(3)I Plan on going 3 to 4 times my first year should I get set of dedicated tires and if so which ones?

(4)How to prep the F for track events anything special other than checking brake pads,oil,suspension and inspecting tires?

(5)The most important question fun factor?
Old 01-01-11, 01:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-to-know.html
Old 01-01-11, 01:12 PM
Weapon F

Thanks DaveGS4
Old 01-01-11, 04:44 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The F is a dream at the track... enjoy! I'd recommend some Kumho 710's or Hoosiers... Carbotech brake pads, I ran 18X9.5" PFO1 wheels at all 4 corners.

Let us know how it goes!
Dave
Old 01-01-11, 05:19 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
The F is a dream at the track... enjoy! I'd recommend some Kumho 710's or Hoosiers... Carbotech brake pads, I ran 18X9.5" PFO1 wheels at all 4 corners.

Let us know how it goes!
Dave
Thanks Dave, well take youe advice on the tire and brake pads, do you know anything about NASA - National Auto Sport Association ?
Old 01-01-11, 08:58 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Yes, and your car is classed in TTB or PTB depending on if you want to Race it, or Time Trial it.

You can run either HPDE 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on your experience level.

Any other questions I can help with, let me know.

Dave
Old 01-01-11, 09:06 PM
nyce92m3
Driver School Candidate

i would love some info on tracking my M
Old 01-01-11, 11:03 PM
Weapon F

Hey, Dave

Upon completion of HPDE classes 1 and 2 and if I'm a good enough driver lol maybe skip 3 and go straight to 4 but I know from experience your never as good as you think you are and will most likely take all 4 classes then move to get my competition license and do some time trial events I know there are several classes just in time trial alone.

DaveGS4 sent me a great tread will start gathering the things I'll need to get started such as tires, Carbotech brake pads, racing brake fluid with higher boiling point, SA rated helmet, etc. Regarding tires I think I'll try a set of used OEM's for HPDE classes to start with and learn the grip limits of ISF with street rubber first, before I move to any R compond tires. The service manger from my dealership is great guy he races a Z06 vette will let him know to keep eye out for a decent set of tires that are not to badly worn out. I have 4 months before season start so I have some time to gather what I need.

Dave, anything else you can think of or anyone else that has some experience in taking HPDE classes let us know how think you benefited from them. Anyone that has done some time trial events chime in tell us of your experiences as well.

Dave, my name is also Dave so we have three Dave's on this thread Dave, Dave and Dave lol..
Old 01-02-11, 08:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Dave, my wife does time trials with NASA and will likely race with them some next year in GTS4. She also instructs for them in their HPDE (along with BMWCCA, PCA and a couple of others). I'm the pit crew and tow vehicle driver, lol but have been to hundreds of these events by now.

At least here in the SE the NASA events are very well attended. I'd go as far as to say TOO well attended as it's hard to find a spot to paddock and the event sessions are stacked very closely together. It's very well run but if something goes wrong there is a bigger 'ripple' effect.

I'd personally recommend looking into a BMW or Porsche club event local to you to attend. Both have decent HPDE setups at least in the southeast.

What tracks are closest to you that you'd want to go to?
Old 01-02-11, 01:20 PM
Weapon F

Dave, thanks for getting back to me with such good info and feed back regarding NASA. I'll look into my local BMW and Porsche clubs and see what they offer. I live in New York and as far as tracks are concerned I have three track that are within reasonable driving distant to me first Limerock in CT 80 miles away, then Pocono Raceway in PA 116 miles away and last would be NJMP in Millville NJ 150 miles away.

By the way the racing venue at NJMP is top notch great facility, was invited there by Lexus to attend Insider event back in April 2010 had blast. Thats were I drove an ISF for the first time along with several other cars, also had Jeff Andretti take me for a ride in ISF on the Lighting Road course. After that ride I new what ISF was truly capable of in hands of great driver fell in love with car after that. And to top off the day my group had only 5 people in it we all had to put our names in hat, and we were lucky enough to get selected thank racings gods to take a ride in LFA with Scott Pruitt driving I'll never for that experience, the sound of LFA wide open is INCREDIBLE what rush what day. Once again thanks for your help.

Tracking my F for first time have questions.-1272910037231.jpg
Thats me on Left
Old 01-02-11, 03:16 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

It's not so much 'what' rubber you use... just don't use your street setup... even if you have a back up set of stock stuff... you'll get far better life out of 'everything'... when you 'think' you're saving money using your street tires on those track days... you end up going through them so much quicker... that it's far more expensive than buying the extra set of wheels and tires in the long run.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need help with anything else... a 'Dave' will chime in I'm sure! LobuxRacer has some great experience too... just not the same name. :P

Dave
Old 01-02-11, 03:53 PM
Weapon F

It's not so much 'what' rubber you use... just don't use your street setup... even if you have a back up set of stock stuff... you'll get far better life out of 'everything'... when you 'think' you're saving money using your street tires on those track days... you end up going through them so much quicker... that it's far more expensive than buying the extra set of wheels and tires in the long run.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need help with anything else... a 'Dave' will chime in I'm sure! LobuxRacer has some great experience too... just not the same name. :P

Dave
Thanks Dave for all of your input as well I know you've been at this for long time as well. This is one of best thing about forums, you can get all of this great info from guy like Dave and DaveGS4, this helps a guy like me take a lot of guess work out prior to even getting to event. Having this wealth of information helps me saves time and money and will make this much more enjoyable experience.
Old 01-02-11, 03:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Dave, thanks for getting back to me with such good info and feed back regarding NASA. I'll look into my local BMW and Porsche clubs and see what they offer. I live in New York and as far as tracks are concerned I have three track that are within reasonable driving distant to me first Limerock in CT 80 miles away, then Pocono Raceway in PA 116 miles away and last would be NJMP in Millville NJ 150 miles away.

By the way the racing venue at NJMP is top notch great facility, was invited there by Lexus to attend Insider event back in April 2010 had blast. Thats were I drove an ISF for the first time along with several other cars, also had Jeff Andretti take me for a ride in ISF on the Lighting Road course. After that ride I new what ISF was truly capable of in hands of great driver fell in love with car after that. And to top off the day my group had only 5 people in it we all had to put our names in hat, and we were lucky enough to get selected thank racings gods to take a ride in LFA with Scott Pruitt driving I'll never for that experience, the sound of LFA wide open is INCREDIBLE what rush what day. Once again thanks for your help.

Attachment 195426
Thats me on Left
What about that new one in Monticello where they did that Lexus IS Precision event and the LFA exhibition with the yellow car?

http://monticellomotorclub.com/
Old 01-02-11, 04:37 PM
Weapon F

Flipside909 I stand corrected you are right Monticello NY 85 mile from me I've heard good things about that track.
Old 01-09-11, 07:42 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave
Same goes for any time of track driving? I'm looking to do a bit of driving at VIR in the F. You'd recommend a 2nd set of everything? Brakes and Pads?

Quick Reply: Tracking my F for first time have questions.