IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

All F owners with BC Coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 05:41 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default All F owners with BC Coilovers...

Hi Guys,
I was thinking of getting some BC Coilovers for my IS-F...I'm getting tired of the bouncy ride and wanted something a bit smoother for my IS-F, which is my daily driver. I was looking at the KW's but I can't see the justification of spending $2000+ for a set of coilovers if your not going to be tracking them. So for all those who have made the jump for the BC Coilovers, how do you like them and how long have you had them? Have they been reliable? How are they for a daily driver...do they get ride of the bouncy ride? I did do a search and most of the reviews have been from people who just got them, so I'm hoping for some long term reviews as well. Thanks for your time...Darshana S...
Old 12-04-10, 11:51 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went off Figs recomendation and got a set. They're still in box, haven't had time to install yet. He has some really good responses to my questions. He also sells them at a great price on his site.
Old 12-04-10, 06:56 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I have BC racing coilovers on my IS350 for 15k and I drive it daily with city and highway, potholes and all sorts of road imperfections. They are still as good as day 1.

I have tried full soft dampening and full hard and it's quite a bit of a difference. The BCR has really good tuning for the soft/hard damper and I am very satisfied with it. Very nice quality and great value. I used to have TEIN SS and the BCRs are night and day difference since it's mono-tube (TEIN SS was twin-tube).
Old 12-06-10, 08:10 PM
john09ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my IS-F used and I test drove it enough times to know that the stock suspension was not going to cut it for me. I put BC coils on within two months of getting the car and have about 5,000 miles on them.

I am in West LA and I drive on sections of freeway that are horrible. The BCs dramatically improved the ride quality. Normal bumps and road patches are handled much better than stock. Bad potholes can still be jarring. BCs improve the ride, but even at the softest settings do not turn the car into a cushy GS.

One thing I noticed is the importance of the ratio between front to back settings. If the front and back dampers are set to the same value, even if it's only 5 clicks from softest, I don't like the ride on the freeway. For a comfortable ride on a rough freeway I like the rear to be much softer than the front. 8-12 on the front and 3-5 on the back is the best for comfortable cruising on crappy sections of the 405. For driving around town I prefer a little stiffer, but it's not practical to adjust everything before each trip.

Overall I am very pleased with these coils and I think they are worth the money, but I feel there is room for a bit more refinement. I suspect this is what KWs bring to the table. If the KWs were 30% or 40% more than BC, I would reach for the them. But at 2.5x's the price of BC it's a pretty big gap.

I bought mine from Figs with the spring rates he recommended.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-10, 11:14 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BC's are the best coilvoers you can go with in the "budget" range IMO. They are a good quality set and have they advantage of optional spring rates and a good damping adjustment range.

The KW's are a nicer seter, and they have superior valving, but it comes down to a personal choice between cost and needs.

If you're interested in a set we can do a custom IS-F kit for you with the proper valving and springrates, just shoot us a PM
Old 12-18-10, 07:50 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

I've had my BCR Coilovers for about 40K miles. I love em. The roads are much smoother with these than my original shocks and springs. I enjoy have to choose the settings I want for when I'm on the track or DD. I've been on long trips all the way to Ohio. Even Key West. No problems at all.

The only part I don't like is the excessive camber wear. I'm at -2.0. Other than that I'd say it's a great choice. I haven't had any issues with them yet.

I also didn't the the KWs cause of the price. I think these are the best bang for my buck. Plus it's a well known brand. Their CS is great!
Old 12-18-10, 08:07 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by verals05
I've had my BCR Coilovers for about 40K miles. I love em. The roads are much smoother with these than my original shocks and springs. I enjoy have to choose the settings I want for when I'm on the track or DD. I've been on long trips all the way to Ohio. Even Key West. No problems at all.

The only part I don't like is the excessive camber wear. I'm at -2.0. Other than that I'd say it's a great choice. I haven't had any issues with them yet.

I also didn't the the KWs cause of the price. I think these are the best bang for my buck. Plus it's a well known brand. Their CS is great!
Awesome great review, I am looking into a set now and will be treating myself to them soon.

I had them on my sti along with KW3's after them. And as far as their CS goes it is top notch. I sold them and turned out i had a blown strut (or seal dont recall). but the guy i purchased from used my invoice and btwn a call from me and my vendor (neither were needed just reassurance) they replaced the coilover no questions asked.
Old 12-19-10, 09:53 PM
joebloww
Driver School Candidate

I'm waiting on my BC coils in the mail. I hope they're as great as a lot of people claim they are
Old 12-20-10, 12:08 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05

The toe links and arms I am releasing soon will greatly mitigate the tire wear. I am running -2.3 degrees in the back on purpose and with the extended toe link modifications the tire wear is well balanced. lowering requires some geometry adjustments and you cannot use OEM specs to get you there.

BC makes a nice predictable shock that will suit the needs of 95% of people out there. For the rest there is KW V3 and higher (for the track I think KW still needs to work a little bit for this application.) Its nice to have non linear valving if its done to match vehicle dynamics, but it also adds the potential to be too specialized. I think in general the KW's will feel softer and low speed, high frequency damping will be superior. The KW's will come into damping smoother, but at that point you are also sacrificing a little feedback because you may expect the instant snap. They really are two different beasts, and the KW's have a lot more ***** to tweak...just ask yourself...do you know what to do with the *****?
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-20-16, 03:03 PM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

How do you go about softening exactly, I bought my car with them and want to play with it. Thx in advance
Old 09-21-16, 06:41 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by isFamily
How do you go about softening exactly, I bought my car with them and want to play with it. Thx in advance
Softer setting would be counter-clockwise. We suggest going full clockwise first and then backing out a certain number of clicks to preference.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions