IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear Brake Squeak TSIB (Get ur free pads from stealerships)

Old 02-02-11, 08:29 PM
huksa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my IS F in for 15K service last Saturday. I complained to my SA that my brake was squealing sometimes. He voluntarily mentioned the TSB and said he's gonna take care of mine. (And my brake was not squealing on that day!) I got a call from him today that the rear pads and shims arrived and I am going in this Saturday again for the job. I'm satisfied.
Old 02-02-11, 08:47 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A box of donuts is in order.

Originally Posted by huksa
I took my IS F in for 15K service last Saturday. I complained to my SA that my brake was squealing sometimes. He voluntarily mentioned the TSB and said he's gonna take care of mine. (And my brake was not squealing on that day!) I got a call from him today that the rear pads and shims arrived and I am going in this Saturday again for the job. I'm satisfied.
Old 02-03-11, 08:10 AM
huksa
Rookie

I'll make it two boxes.

Originally Posted by avgj0F
A box of donuts is in order.
Old 02-04-11, 05:21 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have my appointment to do it on monday... im only at 16000 miles! Thanks

Last edited by darbs242; 02-04-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 06:44 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Well thanks for putting this post up, but the argument has begun.

27,000 miles on the car, mostly VERY normal driving. Never tracked. Brakes are squeaking quite badly. I took it in to Lexus today and told them about the L-SB. They said they would check and call me back.

So they say the squeak is from the front brakes not the rear. According to the dealership, the front pads are shot, and the front rotors are on the border. They said they could try to machine them, but that they might be too worn for that to help, and might need to be replaced. They said they don't hear anything from the rears, and won't replace the pads per the L-SB until they fix the fronts first. They want $1050 or so for the pads and rotors.

Now I don't mean to badmouth my IS-F, but new rotors and pads at 27,000 miles? I had an 2003 M3 that I drove harder for 50,000 miles and never had a need for rotors or pads. I had an NSX that I drove for over 50,000 miles and never needed new rotors or pads. 27,000 miles seems completely ridiculous to me.

Anyone have any advice about whether I should make more of a stink, or just accept this as normal wear on this car?

Thanks
Old 02-04-11, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Ask them to show you the measurements - not "we say it is" but I personally see it is. Minimum pad thickness is 1mm. There is only 10mm of useful pad if you run to 1mm, so every millimeter is 10% of your service life. Rotors start at 30mm and are done at 28mm. Every 0.1 millimeter is 6.75% of service life. Surfacing Brembo drilled discs is bad news. You'll be way ahead without surfacing and just stuffing new pads in the calipers.
Old 02-05-11, 09:32 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ask them to show you the measurements - not "we say it is" but I personally see it is. Minimum pad thickness is 1mm. There is only 10mm of useful pad if you run to 1mm, so every millimeter is 10% of your service life. Rotors start at 30mm and are done at 28mm. Every 0.1 millimeter is 6.75% of service life. Surfacing Brembo drilled discs is bad news. You'll be way ahead without surfacing and just stuffing new pads in the calipers.
Thanks a bunch for the good info. I'll give them a call....
Old 02-13-11, 04:21 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone! Longo Lexus got mine replaced. As long as they can hear a squeak from the rear when you bring it in, they will replace it.
Old 02-13-11, 05:04 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the TSIB preformed and my brakes are squeaking just as bad if not worse than they were... the dealer wrote on the RO that there is nothing else that can be done and due to the style of brakes on the IS-F some squeaking will be normal... Its loud, ive never heard an m3 or amg car do this and i know a lot of other people are having the same issue.
Old 02-14-11, 11:13 AM
ArtF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darbs242
I had the TSIB preformed and my brakes are squeaking just as bad if not worse than they were... the dealer wrote on the RO that there is nothing else that can be done and due to the style of brakes on the IS-F some squeaking will be normal... Its loud, ive never heard an m3 or amg car do this and i know a lot of other people are having the same issue.
Same thing happened to me. However, my dealer mentioned that Lexus has since specified another pad replacement subsequent to issuance of the last TSIB (LSB). I'm supposed to pick up my car today and will let you know what I think. The key downside to these new pads from Lexus is that they are not supposed to provide the same level of performance if you were to track your car. I'm still not happy about that and will be taking it up with Lexus. I've never had to deal with this issue with M, AMG or Porsche. My first foray into the Lexus brand started off great but then took a turn for the worse.

Also, I have a separate thread on the issue if you want to check it out for more detail.
Old 02-14-11, 11:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

This is the problem with pads you can track. They squeak. If the pads were more street oriented, there wouldn't be a noise problem. Real race pads squeak horribly at street speeds but are silent once up to temperature at the track.

I'd bet a lot of money most of the squeaking problems would go away if the brakes got harder use in normal service. The rear brakes on the F are really way too big and even at the track barely ever get warm.

I cured my squeak by putting the car on four jackstands, turning off VSC, and bedding in the rear pads with the car in the air. Before that, they were horrible. It's just not possible to get the rear brakes hot enough while street driving. I even tried riding them down the freeway at 75 - 80 mph and it did next to nothing.

I'm not surprised people are having issues.

BTW, I don't know anyone who tracks their M or Porsche with street pads. Everyone uses full race pads at the DEs I attend.
Old 02-14-11, 02:03 PM
ArtF
Driver School Candidate

I cured my squeak by putting the car on four jackstands, turning off VSC, and bedding in the rear pads with the car in the air. Before that, they were horrible.
If bedding in the rear pads resolved the noise issue, I wonder why the dealers just don't do it (or why they don't do it properly since I assume bedding in the pads would be warranted when performing rotar/pad replacement). Seems simple enough, plus the car would maintain its "as advertised" performance characteristics.

lobuxracer, would you be kind enought to spell out the procedure you followed for bedding in your rear pads (I've seen so many variations from different manufactuers).

Regards,

ArtF
Old 02-14-11, 02:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

This is the problem with pads you can track. They squeak. If the pads were more street oriented, there wouldn't be a noise problem. Real race pads squeak horribly at street speeds but are silent once up to temperature at the track.

I'd bet a lot of money most of the squeaking problems would go away if the brakes got harder use in normal service. The rear brakes on the F are really way too big and even at the track barely ever get warm.

I cured my squeak by putting the car on four jackstands, turning off VSC, and bedding in the rear pads with the car in the air. Before that, they were horrible. It's just not possible to get the rear brakes hot enough while street driving. I even tried riding them down the freeway at 75 - 80 mph and it did next to nothing.

I'm not surprised people are having issues.

BTW, I don't know anyone who tracks their M or Porsche with street pads. Everyone uses full race pads at the DEs I attend.

Funny you should mention this.... !!!

Just had this conversation the other night with another F owner and squeaky rears (non oem pads)..

It is next to impossible to properly beed in the rear pads on the street...

Joe Z
Old 02-15-11, 06:59 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Time for my 2cent on this issue.

In December I took my car in for it's 35k service and to check the rear brakes, referenced the TSIB. They changed the rear pads without question. Left and was happy for about 20miles with no squeaks. Went back the following week and told the dealer. They isolated the problem to my driver rear wheel. They noted a lip was created on the rotor, they machined the lip off. Noise gone again. Drove home.

Drove it a few days and the noise was back, worse then ever. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced my rear rotors. Problem solved..sort of. It now squeaks like it did from day one. minor squeak when coming to a stop.

I'm thinking of living with it. My brakes work very well and have always thought the squeak was a part of life when driving a performance car.

Last edited by mdsbrain; 02-15-11 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-22-11, 12:32 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

So how many people did the LSB and the squeak actually got worse? I read in the other thread a few more reports about it getting worse.

I'm thinking maybe I just need to figure out an easy way for me to actually bed in the rear brakes rather than bothering with the LSB if it didn't work for a lot of people.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brake Squeak TSIB (Get ur free pads from stealerships)