IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Little button behind gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 01:29 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little button behind gas pedal?

There is a button type thing behind the gas pedal that annoys me because I think I'm floored but I'm not because I can still push it in a little further. Does this serve and purpose or can I remove it and if so how? I don't want to break anything

From further research some people say it has a kickdown feature where pushing the button yields more aggressive performance. I've noticed a difference between downshifts when just touching it and actually smashing it all the way down, it seems to drop an extra gear. But is that an actual button or is the kickdown based on throttle position and the "button" is just there for "feel" or whatever?

Last edited by infinus; 08-26-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 04:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Everytime I think its a good time to floor it... there seems to be a Black & White that finds me..

I stopped flooring during my everyday drives

FULL POWER at WOT for track days...

Joe Z
Old 08-26-10, 04:10 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

whatever you do DON'T TOUCH IT, it's the self destruct button.

Old 08-26-10, 08:19 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they still call it that, it should be the "passing gear" button. Conventional auto transmissions used a cable to detect the pedal position, but now that we have robo transmissions, the button works to service a definitive stomp.
Old 08-26-10, 08:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Everytime I think its a good time to floor it... there seems to be a Black & White that finds me..

Joe Z
+1

It simply isn't worth it for the most part to WOT with the po po looking for easy prey these days
Old 08-26-10, 08:52 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
I'm actually going to be drag racing the police. They have a monthly "beat the heat" night where you can go race officers at the strip
Old 08-27-10, 12:09 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by infinus
I'm actually going to be drag racing the police. They have a monthly "beat the heat" night where you can go race officers at the strip
They have that out here also. The closest place i know to norcal is infineon raceway in sonoma, ca. Sounds like a blast ... but I dont think my IS250 wold be winning any drag races
Old 08-27-10, 01:10 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

A retired Crown Victoria cruiser showed up at my local 1/8 strip 2 out of the last 3 weeks I was there. Not going to lie, I thought it would have been faster running high 9's/low 10's, but it was the old models and obviously very old if it was retired. It did get to keep the spot light though which was neat!
Old 08-30-10, 07:04 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the same event down in Miami like twice a year, I already got my t-shirt that says I BEAT THE HEAT!

I love using the kickdown feature. In full auto the IS-F doesn't downshift the way I want, kind of too slow and not aggressive enough for me, but the kickdown button confirms the dual personality of this car, once you floor the car hard it screams!
Old 08-31-10, 07:18 PM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
We have the same event down in Miami like twice a year, I already got my t-shirt that says I BEAT THE HEAT!

I love using the kickdown feature. In full auto the IS-F doesn't downshift the way I want, kind of too slow and not aggressive enough for me, but the kickdown button confirms the dual personality of this car, once you floor the car hard it screams!
Isn't that at the Countyline? I went there a couple of times, great races.
Old 09-01-10, 09:13 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Yes it is, great races! If weather permits I'll be there probably Friday night.
Old 09-02-10, 04:35 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed the on BMWs as well. I liked it because if you didn't want that kick down but wanted to accelerated it was a reminder to me and pushing that pedal futher means hammer time or whatever you call it now.
Old 09-13-10, 01:44 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Holy **** Batman!!!! apparently I have been flooring it just before enough pressure to click the button because I read this thread at work today and tried on the way home and WOW!!!. Now to find a stretch of road later tonight to lay some fresh tracks on
Old 09-13-10, 03:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Holy **** Batman!!!! apparently I have been flooring it just before enough pressure to click the button because I read this thread at work today and tried on the way home and WOW!!!. Now to find a stretch of road later tonight to lay some fresh tracks on

Joe Z
Old 09-13-10, 06:43 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

So back to the original question the is the kickdown initiated by the button itself or by throttle position and the button is there for feel? If its just throttle position I'd rather remove the button. I took a look at it as best I could and couldn't see any wires or anything.

Joe, lobux anyone?

Quick Reply: Little button behind gas pedal?