IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Launching the IS-F at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 12:52 PM
sickISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching the IS-F at the track

Any suggestions you guys can give on this? I mean I'm turning off the traction control...but any other ideas? Burnout or go around the box? Thanks!
Old 08-05-10, 01:02 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

with street tires id roll thru box and do a quick burnout. gets all pebbles and loose **** off tires to help you hook up. havent tracked isF yet, but id turn off trac and vsc, rev it up, and let it rip. just practice at different rpm launches and see where you hook best.
Old 08-08-10, 04:52 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go around the box, do just a quick burnout to clean up the tires, have all the nannies OFF (VDM OFF through long push or even pedal dance), SPORT ON, and M mode. Launching the IS-F is tricky, some people smash the pedal gas, I hold RPMs at 1200-1500. Shift after the beep, hitting the rev limiter is not bad, again some people get better times that way. Good luck!
Old 08-09-10, 01:01 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Dont go through the box and do a slight burnout like Juan said. But idk how the he'll people launch at 1000+rpm. If I leave at anything over 700 I blow the tires off the car.
Old 08-09-10, 01:11 PM
mr2fast
Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Dont go through the box and do a slight burnout like Juan said. But idk how the he'll people launch at 1000+rpm. If I leave at anything over 700 I blow the tires off the car.
could it have anything to do with the 125 shot your running

I can power brake pretty high w/o noticeable slip off the line on the street, I'm guessing due to the new torsen diff.
Old 08-09-10, 01:43 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Nope. I don't spray until 2nd/3rd gear.
Old 05-15-11, 12:25 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Launching ISF on street

Well I tried today to launch from a stop.Had it in M mode ,sport mode on,VDM on and then I mashed the pedal but the rear tires slipped. I don't track and don't claim to be an expert in launching but can anyone tell me what's the best way to launch a 2011 ISF( has brake override)? Why did the rear tires slip? How do you ' hold rpms'?Only have 650miles on it.
Thanks!!
Old 05-15-11, 01:58 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

You are running the car on the track with only 650 miles on it?
Old 05-15-11, 02:05 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I launch at 1500 usually. How sticky your tires are can also make a difference. I have toyo T1R 285's on the rear. Good track prep is a must. I usually skip the box and do a mild burnout.
Old 05-15-11, 02:45 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFSteve
You are running the car on the track with only 650 miles on it?
No not on the track but at a stop light (safety first of course). I just wanted to test it having crossed 621 miles (per manual). I don't track but any suggestions as to how to launch a 2011 ISF (with brake overide) would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-11, 05:08 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its dissapointing to see the 2011's are slower for some reason. Hopefully with some miles they wil be as fast as the older years.

Ive got 275 BFG KDW's and they always been pretty sticky street tires, On my F and previously on my SC G35.

I do go through the box because they stick better with some heat and i like to be lined up with the previous runs tire lines. I do a mild to medium burn out and then lauch around 1200. Timing the yellows and green just right so I give it only a sec or so of a stall(hold brake, give gas) then take off on the last yellow. Shallow stage helps novice dragsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89L-C0XBFU

~Dv8
Old 05-15-11, 05:44 PM
mercurymet
Driver

DV8Tion,

Nice run!

I always thought Infineon was a slow track. Made some runs last year when it was in the 90s without burnout. A C63 with a tune was only hitting 111-112s though the owner claimed he hit 117-118 in Sacramento. He said the air with mist had lower O2 and the strip is minimally upgrade at the end.

I was using in sport mode, no nannys, automode without burnout. My lame times were 13.3 - 13.5 @ 107s. Had a bunch of crappy launches.

I think the autoshift short changes by 300 rpms per shift. Will bumpoff the rev limiter or shift at the beep next time. Will try burningouts too. Aiming for June 1st pre PPE header install and June 15th after the install. BTW, where are you getting your headers installed?

It's great to seen an ISF really representing.

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Its dissapointing to see the 2011's are slower for some reason. Hopefully with some miles they wil be as fast as the older years.

Ive got 275 BFG KDW's and they always been pretty sticky street tires, On my F and previously on my SC G35.

I do go through the box because they stick better with some heat and i like to be lined up with the previous runs tire lines. I do a mild to medium burn out and then lauch around 1200. Timing the yellows and green just right so I give it only a sec or so of a stall(hold brake, give gas) then take off on the last yellow. Shallow stage helps novice dragsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89L-C0XBFU

~Dv8
Old 05-15-11, 08:11 PM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388

~Dv8
nice run!!
Old 05-15-11, 09:15 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bobisf
No not on the track but at a stop light (safety first of course). I just wanted to test it having crossed 621 miles (per manual). I don't track but any suggestions as to how to launch a 2011 ISF (with brake overide) would be appreciated.
On the street you'll probably have to launch under 1000 rpm to keep wheelspin at a minimum. You can still apply brake with gas on the '11.

I'm at 1500 miles now and itching to go back to the track since I was last there with 800 miles hoping the car is even stronger now.
Old 05-16-11, 09:23 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!

It is a slow track. The headwind and incline grade do not help. FWD cars especially at Infineon absolutley sucks.

On the flipside Sac raceway is a fast track, so much so that its rumored not to be a full 1/4 mile. Whether thats true or not; my best traps are in Sac with previous cars, by a large margin. I would venture a guess being a result of the aformentioned non-variables of wind and incline. Sac gets hot in the spring/summer and fall, but rarely any headwind, if any wind its a tail wind. Late fall early winter, late winter early spring are the best times to hit both tracks in this area.
Track prep is pretty good at infineon even on wed. nights. Sac sucks unless you do test n tune.

Looking forward to the PPE headers!

Hope to see fellow F'er's out there

~Dv8

Originally Posted by mercurymet
DV8Tion,

Nice run!

I always thought Infineon was a slow track. Made some runs last year when it was in the 90s without burnout. A C63 with a tune was only hitting 111-112s though the owner claimed he hit 117-118 in Sacramento. He said the air with mist had lower O2 and the strip is minimally upgrade at the end.

I was using in sport mode, no nannys, automode without burnout. My lame times were 13.3 - 13.5 @ 107s. Had a bunch of crappy launches.

I think the autoshift short changes by 300 rpms per shift. Will bumpoff the rev limiter or shift at the beep next time. Will try burningouts too. Aiming for June 1st pre PPE header install and June 15th after the install. BTW, where are you getting your headers installed?

It's great to seen an ISF really representing.

Last edited by Dv8tion388; 05-16-11 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Launching the IS-F at the track