IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CTS-V or ISF about to buy?

Old 07-27-10, 03:54 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
I looked at those too because they seemed suspiciously low. The fastest time as well as a few of the other low 12sec runs are run by an owner named Cole who actually lists drag radials as the tires he was running when he achieved those times. I would say that tires make a bigger difference than any other mods available for these cars and so for the owner to label the car as stock is somewhat misleading.

The 2nd fastest time seems to have some eyebrows raised as well, in particular from the owner of the car with the fastest time. So I don't really know what to make of those times.

I would say that the Caddilac should be considerably faster given its power to weight ratio is 7.18 lbs/hp wheras the Lexus is only 8.92 lbs/hp.

That's actually a good catch. Drag radials can make a world of difference.

I mean, just using our own cars as an example, the IS350 can hit high 12s with drag radials (and cold weather/favorable DA).
Old 07-27-10, 04:06 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cts-v if its a lease.
Old 07-27-10, 04:07 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

The cars really just compete on price point. The CTS is a much bigger car. That said, the LS9 motor is a monster. The huge difference in output isn't even the biggest story, it's the availability of the power. The interior is starting to look aged design-wise, but so is the ISF since it's basically a 2IS interior.

I'd get the Caddy, especially since you have 2 Lexi already. The LS9 family is a proven workhorse motorwise, and the 2009 CTS in general has been pretty reliable according to truedelta. Not as good as the IS line, but certainly not horrendous/BMW level of problems. As said above, not the worst problem to have in this world, a choice between a 400+hp and a 550+hp sedan.
Old 07-27-10, 04:27 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive them both in a straight line and spirited driving. Sit in the seat and feel which is more comfortable. With all these times being so quick, you'd blow the doors off most cars. 2/10 of a sec. isn't that big of a deal when you're thrown into your seat!
Old 07-27-10, 04:43 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Easy choice for me considering the Cadillac is hideous in my opinion. I could careless that it may be a couple tenths quicker in drag race, or a few seconds faster around Nurburgring.....considering you said it will be your daily driver, those facts are irrelevant.

Best thing to do is just go drive both of them and decide which one you like, since that is all that really matters anyway.
Old 07-27-10, 05:01 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I'll go with an M3 for that kind of money.
Old 07-27-10, 06:05 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

who cares about those two get a S5 ... Its not the fastest but you will get all the attention
Old 07-27-10, 06:24 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. They let me take the Caddy home, I plan to take half the day off and play with it. I have never been in an ISF but had a IS350 for a week when my SC was waiting for parts. The Caddy is very well mannered on the road, something important for my commute. It has an auto, paddle shifters and The best seats I have come across.

I don't really care which car is faster, silly fast is fast enough. My reason for starting the thread was to see if it was worth my time to track down an ISF to test drive. I think I will have to.

For those who recommend German cars, my Pop was sent to Germany in WWII and spent a year as a POW. We were not even allowed a Braun coffee maker in the house.
Old 07-27-10, 06:37 PM
DarkIs250
Rookie

CTS-V, more practical. It is a real sedan, IS-F will be a cramped interior. The specs are awesome on a CTS-V, you can always buy the extended warranty if you have an issue on the reliability.
Old 07-27-10, 08:15 PM
BADFNZ
Rookie

CTS-V hands down.
Old 07-27-10, 08:26 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

If I were to go with the CTS-V, I'd be especially particular in making sure I buy a brand new CTS-V. Granted, generally speaking, I'm not really into buying used vehicles given the negative stigma associated with it.

Nevertheless, when it comes to American or many German brands (BMW in particular), my gut instinct tells me to steer clear of purchasing used for reliability concerns.

IS-F owners appear to enjoy a generally worry and hassle-free ownership experience. This point really shouldn't be understated, and it should dismiss a lot of reliability concern-induced anxiety that tends to come with purchasing a used vehicle, if you choose to go that route.

Again, I'm not familiar with the potential reliability concerns with the '09 CTS-V, in particular, so I suggest you thoroughly look into any potential issues V owners may be experiencing.
Old 07-27-10, 11:59 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Even though I not a fan of either ones, I would go for the Caddy. I think it looks much better and classier than the F.

If you decide to go for the Caddy CTS-V, make sure you get it in black
Old 07-28-10, 12:01 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't the CTS-V has a 556HP supercharged V8? but it's lap time is only slightly faster than the IS-F's. I say IS-F FTW!

Last edited by someboy; 07-28-10 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 12:02 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

not sure how the interior of the cts-v differs. but im in a 2010 cts as a rental right now, and i do have to give the for trunk space, interior room, comfort, and dash. feels pretty good to drive. but i would much rather be in my IS. i dont need the room. im 20 and its usually only me and my gf in the car.

but all in all i choose the F
Old 07-28-10, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The Caddy has a gaudy dash, trim, and the body is obnoxious and toyish. The Lexus is more baked and refined. I wouldn't care about two tenths of a second. Both cars are in the uber-fast catagory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CTS-V or ISF about to buy?