IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

M5 for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 01:15 AM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5 for ISF

i have an opportunity to buy an 2008 M5 for a great price.

should i jump out of my ISF ? I'm torn. thoughts ?
Old 06-18-10, 02:14 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

If that M5 is out of warranty it better be a hell of great price.

But....depending on the condition of the car and how the M5 is equipped I would give it a try. Only though if the price is right and if I didnt like it I could get out of it without losing money. Make sure you do a car fax on it and check the service history.

Just kinda hard to compare though. Its a bit bigger of a car. 500hp V-10. And we dont have a Lexus G-F car yet to judge it by.
Old 06-18-10, 02:34 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

M5 is a great car...

...but Id stick with the ISF. And like kickhard said, you can really compare the 2 since they are in different classes.
Old 06-18-10, 03:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran a newer M5 the other day from around 50-120 and got the thumbs up from him. I think he was surprised he couldn't pull away from me. We were neck to neck.

I say IS-F is the way to go unless you need the extra space.
Old 06-18-10, 05:35 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

I ALMOST bought an M5 instead of a second ISF. I was in Austin, was buying my wife her X5 from SW, and drove his wife's M5 (that he was planning to sell a month down the road). The first thing I noticed was how slow the tranny shifted, so I asked him to put it in the most aggresive setting.......and........still, it shifting SLOWER than I could shift a manual. The car was great, the tranny was such a big POS I vowed to never ever buy an auto equipped M5 (unless it comes with the DCT tranny that the M3 has). Just my 0.02
Peter
Old 06-18-10, 06:04 AM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by houstonT
I ALMOST bought an M5 instead of a second ISF. I was in Austin, was buying my wife her X5 from SW, and drove his wife's M5 (that he was planning to sell a month down the road). The first thing I noticed was how slow the tranny shifted, so I asked him to put it in the most aggresive setting.......and........still, it shifting SLOWER than I could shift a manual. The car was great, the tranny was such a big POS I vowed to never ever buy an auto equipped M5 (unless it comes with the DCT tranny that the M3 has). Just my 0.02
Peter
+1

I feel the same way about the M5 auto tranny. The car is a beast without question and the prestige and all that goes with owning a BMW is for sure there, but used German cars especially high performance ones out of a warranty scare me and my wallet. Just my 2 cents...Oh and i have owned about 4 Audis and currently have one now as well.
Old 06-18-10, 07:17 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's good deals to be had on E60 M5's all over the place because they are nearing the end of their production. The car is a total beast with the V10 (couple of friends have one). The new F10 M5 should make it's appearance later this fall with production rumored to be late 2011 as a 2012 MY. Of course the V10 will be replaced by a TT V8. BMW has clearly set the RS6 as it's target with a rumour of 550hp/500tq.

I'm not a big fan of the Bangle E60 look and if the new F10 5 series and the renderings are any indication the new M5 will be the class leader again. If we go with four doors again the F10 M5 is extremely high on my wish list as an F replacement down the road.
Old 06-18-10, 08:08 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW the E60 M5 comes with a SMG transmission (like the E46 M3) not an automatic. It's also available with a 6 speed M/T.
Old 06-18-10, 12:37 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by niko14
i have an opportunity to buy an 2008 M5 for a great price.

should i jump out of my ISF ? I'm torn. thoughts ?
Unless I could get a decent warranty with the M, I'd not consider this trade viable at all.
I can't imagine the potential problems and expense involved with repairing a vehicle with such technology.

C.
Old 06-18-10, 12:45 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Yes, that SMG is the POS I was referring to!
Peter

Originally Posted by N54MPower
FWIW the E60 M5 comes with a SMG transmission (like the E46 M3) not an automatic. It's also available with a 6 speed M/T.
Old 06-18-10, 01:18 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

I actually sold my 2006 M5 for an ISF (which should be delivered here in 2 weeks )

The problem I had with the M5 was that I do a lot of city driving and 10.8 mpg was just not cutting it. Imagine having to fill up $50 worth of gas ever 3-4 days and I dont even drive that often!

Also, the SMG was really hard to get use to in the city even though I had an SMG M3 before. It's pretty jerky no matter what anyone says. It's absolutely wonderful on the freeway however. The thing was an absolute monster when you get it above 80 or so. The exhaust/engine sound amazing and shifting with the SMG on the freeway was pure bliss! If you think you can handle the SMG in city driving and the very poor gas mileage I would say definitely consider it. And like others have mentioned make sure it has a warranty.

**You CAN now get a BMW warranty even though you are not the original owner and you can even get a powertrain warranty if your warranty is expired! It was just recently offered by BMW...so thats available to you.

I chose the ISF because I wanted to get a smaller car and wanted the reliability of a Lexus. The powertrain warranty on the ISF I picked up lasts till Jan./2015
Old 06-18-10, 02:12 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

All these thoughts preety much validate the information I've always come up with in the two times I bought a Lexus and each time I considered getting a Beemer instead and in both cases I never did
Old 06-18-10, 11:42 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

M5 is a SICK ride... and to call it's SMG trans a POS you have no idea what an SMG is. Sequential Gearboxes aren't 'smooth, and soft'... as they are 'Manual Gearboxes' being shifted through pumps/hydraulics and actuators. They aren't 're-worked' automatic trans cars, or DCT cars, with 'Wet Clutch' Assemblys... they're still engaging a clutch & pressure plate like a true Manual car. And at Full throttle shifts... was a Neck Jarring feel, that no other DCT / Automatic trans will ever replicate! (That I'll always miss).

I've owned both, the V10 SMG M5, a 6 Speed M3, and now have a new to me IS-F.

They are all great cars, that offer all sorts of pros and I won't say 'cons'... I'll say 'differences'.

The M5 SMG... had you had in S6 (doubtful you had fully disengaged Traction control to get it)... you were probably in S5... which is close... but nothing like S6... the SMG is 'VERY Slow' at part throttle, and around town... as it's 'shifting like a manual' and taking it's time. I drove my M5 every day in S6, with DCT OFF, and it was nice... and felt like driving a manual, with always positive, quick engagement and disengagement.

Here are some 'differences'
M5 = 14 MPG on GOOD DAYS!
M5 = A bit more 'mature' (i felt a bit older, in this car... I'm just not in my late 40's yet.. .early 50's... and too me... that's what the M5 represents a bit closer to.
M5 = Is unbeatable on the HWY... the way it accelerates is truly incredible.

I'm looking forward to the IS-F... I will look to the M5 again... when the Twin Turbo cars come around.

And yes... it seems 'BMW' cars... have 'warranty challenges' once they get up past that 30,000 mile mark... so I'd be careful there.

If you need comfortable room for 5... and rear Fold down seats... and raw HWY speed OOMPH, M5 has the IS-F there.

For everything else... I say the IS-F will be enjoyable!

Peace,
Dave
Old 06-19-10, 04:46 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Dave, appreciate your feedback and I do apologize for characterizing the tranny as an automatic, it was a loose generalization and I should have been more specific. Nevertheless, after having owned a few ISF's, GTR, etc...I can say with CERTAINTY that the SMG is a POS! Even on the most aggresive setting, the shifts take an eternity...I would NEVER own a car with an SMG trans. Now the new DCT that the M3 has...that's another story...
Peter
Old 06-19-10, 08:46 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

Thanks Houston... Yeah... too me it's just a different level of appreciation.

I don't disagree... GTR Trans, M3 DCT, Porsche PDK, ISF DirectShift... all can be faster and smoother.

Just for me... there was a special 'appreciation'... for 'feeling' the M5 in S6 mode 'BANGING' through the gears... Something removed with the PDK/DCT/GTR/IS-F Trans...

Agree... most people buying a car like these... don't want to feel that stuff.. but I've been racing cars for 20 years now... and I just appreciated the 'mechanical side' of the SMG.

IS-F is coming to the driveway... so I'm still saying IS-F is great... M5 is just 'different'... no 'bad choice' at this level, IMO.

Quick Reply: M5 for ISF