Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
well abit off topic
iv gone back to stock box as well
now i got stock filter and piping
So what do you guys recomend
HPS piping? or JoeZ or the CF ebay piping
A couple guys were having issues with the CF ebay setup.

Personally I am going to go the HPS route. JoeZ is a nice product, but doesn't have the same insulating properties of a silicon intake.
Old 06-16-14, 01:40 PM
anAgent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2013 with the K & N. I put it on the first time and drove it for about a week. During that time, I also felt like there was a power loss. However, during that time I also put on a set 20" Vossens and "felt" that that the car wasn't performing - which was most like due to the added weight of the wheels

So, I took the intake off and put the stock back on. Once I did that, I went to a nice open area and did a couple sample runs from a complete stop. After about a month, I put the K&N back on the car and did the same. I don't feel a power loss compared to the stock. However, that's just a "feeling" and not facts.

One thing to note is that I THINK the intake noise has an effect on the brain where you think it's slow since you hear this big sucking noise. Just my two cents. So far, I dig it. I kinda miss the two stage intake, but... I overall I like it and feel no difference either way. Just sounds pretty sweet. :-)
Old 10-30-14, 09:00 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Oh Cr@p I just waisted 350$ on a k and n really?? I should of researched more first. I'm surprised k and n would have developed a product that reduces power.

Last edited by jtsimaras; 10-30-14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 01:01 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Stock or a different panel and intake pipe seem the better options.

Like a lot of you guys, I spent a chunk of cash on the Takeda system, only to find a loss of 10HP, and poor mid-range performance.

My fuel economy also went out the window by around 2-4 MPG.

Now running the K&N panel with HPS silicone intake pipe.

Gained 10HP, and more throughout the entire Rev range.

It's not done the 500-1,000 miles to get the MAF settled either.

If I was doing it again from scratch with what I've learned, I'd just fit the K&N panel, and save the rest for an exhaust like the Joe Z. I think that's the better mod for power gains, and giving the V8 some vocal chords! Lol.

I'm quietly convinced it's the ECU that spoils the party. With an aftermarket ECU the changes would be mappable to allow for an increased airflow, and additional fueling to match.

The carbon intake pipe from Texas is a no go by the way!

I ordered one for my car, but the couplings are too big, and the width of the pipe itself is greater than the airbox or throttle body!

Others cut their couplings to make them fit. I'm not a fan of chopping things about. Save yourselves some cash and buy the HPS pipe. Fit and finish are superb in comparison.
Old 10-31-14, 06:16 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsimaras
Oh Cr@p I just waisted 350$ on a k and n really?? I should of researched more first. I'm surprised k and n would have developed a product that reduces power.
If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone...
Old 11-02-14, 11:57 AM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rickna
If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone...
I feel ya---just not sure if I want to keep it now. I may and try to seal the area around the cone filter --- not sure if that is why it is losing power but could be from sucking in hot engine bay air. I should of did the exhaust first. I guess the Typhoon does sound nice
Old 11-02-14, 01:30 PM
Rickna
Racer

I am thinking about putting the stock air box back and modding the K & N tube to fit.
Old 11-02-14, 08:44 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Why did k and n post this I'm annoyed if it is true the HP is less according to tests on here. I've bought 6 typhoons in the past and they all seemed to perform.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-8701_dyno.pdf
Old 11-03-14, 09:49 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW i'm very happy with my k&n typhoon, didn't notice any power loss and more importantly it sounds great! i added it with a joe z exhaust so the car definitely feels faster and sounds badass (which is what i was going for mainly, car is fast enough for a dd). everyone compliments me on the sound, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 11-03-14, 05:56 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Originally Posted by 786
FWIW i'm very happy with my k&n typhoon, didn't notice any power loss and more importantly it sounds great! i added it with a joe z exhaust so the car definitely feels faster and sounds badass (which is what i was going for mainly, car is fast enough for a dd). everyone compliments me on the sound, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yes they sure do sound nice....I will probably just keep and get an exhaust as well.
Old 11-03-14, 07:04 PM
Rickna
Racer

There is so much info, opinions, dyno sheets etc.Along with all the conflicts, I think it boils down to what feels right for you. I dig the sound of the K & N, I really can't tell a difference in performance. I don't have the luxury installing/reinstalling and going back & fourth to the dyno. Since I paid $270 for it and I'm sure I couldn't sell it here, I guess I'll keep it. I have a Borla with hi flow cats in the garage probably to be installed next week. I'm looking forward to the combination.

Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod-borla-01.jpg
Old 11-03-14, 08:37 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, even my buddy (who drives a new 458 Speciale) complimented the sound and he didn't even know what an IS-F was. I think, in the grand scheme of things, it's a quick enough car with a fabulous (albeit muted) motor, imo uncorking it a bit adds some theater.

I don't really care that the default route people recommend on here (a tube and filter) will add 5hp, I want my 5.0L V8 to sound like an effing 5.0L V8.
Old 11-03-14, 09:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

My F with my Takeda, PPE headers and PPE Dual Mod Exhaust with HiFlow Cats dynos @ 392WHP. A Friend's with PPE Headers, K&N Intake, JoeZ Exhaust and NO Cats dynos at just under 400WHP.

I believe I was the first on this forum to go with the Takeda, back when they only sold the shiny Silvery Tube version. I have since had my tube ceramic coated black, much better IMO. I still luv the concept behind the Takeda design. It retains the stock secondary flap, and I believe keeps out underhood heat.

Lou
Old 11-04-14, 04:59 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Agreed, even my buddy (who drives a new 458 Speciale) complimented the sound and he didn't even know what an IS-F was. I think, in the grand scheme of things, it's a quick enough car with a fabulous (albeit muted) motor, imo uncorking it a bit adds some theater.

I don't really care that the default route people recommend on here (a tube and filter) will add 5hp, I want my 5.0L V8 to sound like an effing 5.0L V8.

Surely that's down to the restrictive OEM exhaust Lexus fitted?! You don't gauge the size or type of engine from the induction roar?!

I think my point was save yourself the money buying an induction kit, and put it towards a good aftermarket exhaust such as Borla or Joe Z. Not only will this improve the sound of your V8, it will also add some HP, not lose it like it did with the Takeda.

I don't deny the sound was impressive, but the lost HP and weaker mid-range was disappointing given the money I spent.
Old 11-04-14, 08:05 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

So when you guys capped off the hose.. what did you do with the longer one? i'm OCD, so it'll bother me just sitting around like that..

Calvin

Quick Reply: Dyno Comparisons: K&N Typhoon Intake vs Stock vs DIY Flap Mod