IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mark Levinson Subwoofer Sound Quality at louder volumes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 04:07 AM
bdhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML sound quality

I had an 06 gs430 with the ML and it sounded better than the ML in my ISF. my 07 Acura tl-S blew them both away...best factory system I have heard. My wife's es300 with the stock system has a richer/fuller sound than the ML in my opinion. It is disappointing. I really think it is sensitive to how the music is mixed if that makes sense. some things sound really good, and others just tinny or metallic in a way.
Old 05-06-10, 04:27 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I could not agree more. My IS-350 sounded much better. I had the ML amp replaced a while ago and it sounds better but still isn't great.

I can't image what the problem is... Maybe it has something to do w/ Lexus decided that the engine is the stereo (I can dig that logic)...
Old 05-06-10, 04:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea ive come to learn that the ml package isnt really worth it except for the dvd portion. my bass still sounds pretty good on my sub and i usually keep mine around 40 or so but then again i only have the bass turned up to the 3rd lowest setting.
Old 05-06-10, 07:53 AM
matt310
Rookie

I'm guessing a stereo shop like Al & Ed's would be able to tell if a speaker was blown pretty easily, right? I'll have to stop by after work today.

Two people who have listened to it say it's a design limitation of the subwoofer, based on packaging (decklid-mounted, resulting in limited travel), the way it's firing (down into the trunk) and the size (likely 8 inches or maybe 10 but unconfirmed).

If it is blown, how does one take this up with the dealership? This is literally the first time I've ever listened to something at that volume, which I still think wasn't that loud.
Old 05-06-10, 08:15 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the ML system is just overrated and too expensive for the sound quality that offers. I had a great aftermarket system in my previous car and I was expecting something similar when I got the IS-F with the ML option... very disappointed.
I drive with the volume set at 40+, it's not loud, 20 is just background noise.
Old 05-06-10, 08:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You guys must work on a flightline or something. I only rarely exceed 25. 40 all the time? Yeah, loud enough to cause long term hearing loss for sure.

But it's OK, you're young and not experiencing the ravages of your youth impacting you in old age yet. Just wait...
Old 05-06-10, 10:12 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys must work on a flightline or something. I only rarely exceed 25. 40 all the time? Yeah, loud enough to cause long term hearing loss for sure.

But it's OK, you're young and not experiencing the ravages of your youth impacting you in old age yet. Just wait...
huh???
what???

jk...i'm old...
Old 08-11-10, 07:41 PM
diablo2184
Pole Position

i've been searching on google specs on the mark levinson system as well as the subwoofer. does anyone have the specs on the system and the sub for the ML system?
Old 08-05-11, 05:54 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when searching today for feedback on the ML system compared to the stock system. I thought I was crazy because I got a loaner from Lexus today (2010 IS250 non-ML), and when I turned on the stereo I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound quality compared to my ISF w/ML package. I had on a hip-hop song, and there was so much bass that the rear view mirror was shaking and it sounded like there was a pair of 10's in the trunk. Not only was there more bass, but everything seemed cleaner, tighter, and just all around better sounding. I called Lexus and asked that while my car is there (to have one of the speakers in the door replaced) if they could check the rest of the system - amps, speakers, and the rear sub - to see if anything else is blown.

The driver's door woofer is my 2nd blown speaker already (the center went out a few months ago) and I rarely ever blast my stereo. Why does this system cost so much if it sucks so badly compared to the stock system? It seems completely backwards.
Old 08-05-11, 07:52 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was impressed with the ml as a stock radio. I had it for a year but i have since gone aftermarket. I decided to go with some pretty high end equipment but i plan on doing some competitions. But if u do want to clean up the signal I went with the BIt Ten. The bit one would be overkill if you want to just clean up the signal. The jl cleansweep may be ok but the bit ten is better. The bit ten will help keep that sub from being blown, as long as you dont try to go overboard. Or you could replace the sub. Its an 8 inch i think. they make a few aftermarket subs that you can swap it out with.
Old 08-06-11, 04:13 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
To solve that problem I bought a JL CleanSweep and JL Sub. Deff. worth it!
You also bought an amp, right? Is that the only way to add a sub for this system?
Old 08-06-11, 04:44 PM
codylaoISF
Driver School Candidate

i does 52 in mines . nothing s wrong . sounds perfect !
Old 10-07-12, 12:10 AM
paul8813
Driver School Candidate

Hey man, same happen to me today. I was listening "low", and then the speaker crack!!! Sound so wired now. What can I do?
Old 10-07-12, 10:58 AM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

ive also had the subwoofer "crack" on me too but mostly at lower volumes. I took it into the dealer but couldn't replicate it. It seems like it comes and goes.
Old 10-07-12, 12:05 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom Line the ML system is just garbage. I have never been so disappointed by a system that supposedly to have a better quality to them. I don't know but every lexus that I opted for the stereo upgrade has been garbage. Like in my old lx470 with it's Nakamachi system, what sounds good is the premium system in the new M3.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Subwoofer Sound Quality at louder volumes