IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Got in accident, 99% related to recall

Old 04-22-10, 02:13 PM
ballerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't handle the power, then don't buy it....
Old 04-22-10, 02:26 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope everything is ok with you.
How fast were you going? I ask because i had something similar happen in my old SC400. I took a somewhat gentle long right turn at around 50 or so (a little over in that area) and either gave it too much gas and that pulled the sidewall off the rim or blew my tire (i was getting new tires later that month) but i tried to correct, hell broke loose and my SC ended up going over a ~8" curb, over 6 foot island (raised higher in the middle), scidded onto the other side of the street and bumped into the other curb. Luckily for me, my car was fine - the rims took the brunt of the damage (sigh, and they were expensive, lol).

That was around 50 mph or so
Old 04-22-10, 02:28 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ballerx
If you can't handle the power, then don't buy it....
You're not serious are you?

It's all about whether you got what it takes to buy one regardless of your driving skill or lack of IF that was the case.
Old 04-22-10, 05:06 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

Where is the car now??? I wanna buy it! But seriously I wanna know where the car is!
Old 04-22-10, 05:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usual, pics please.
Old 04-22-10, 10:43 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
just curious but what do you consider normal speed? im sure everyones definition of normal speed is different.
so normal that the car jumped a total of 5 curbs!!! My normal car speed wouldnt even make my car slide out in the first place,, and even if it did slide,, for the most part,, it usually stops after hitting the first curb,, not the 5th one..
Old 04-22-10, 11:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Autosport
Where is the car now??? I wanna buy it! But seriously I wanna know where the car is!
Why don't you get a great deal on a new 2010? Like most of us, we bought ours new.
Old 04-22-10, 11:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by xxISFxx
So about a week ago, i got in a somewhat major accident in the isf. Was doing a right turn and suddenly lost the tail end. Tried to regain control of car but no success.
Just curious, but how fast were you going when you were making a right turn, and what were the road conditions on that day? What is the posted speed limit for the street and or turn you were on?

Now in details of exactly what happen. The right turn was not a 90degree turn from one street to another. It was a right curve turn? (Like going on or off a highway) As i entered the turn i was going at normal speed,
Could you tell us the name of the exact street corner you were turning onto and in which direcion (e.g. Corner of Main and 3rd St. turning right onto northbound Main st)?

coming out of the turn i felt the car accelerating and slowly losing the back end. I tried to adjust and eventually counter steer slightly and that's when all hell broke loose. The car ended up sliding left now
How many miles do you have on your F and what are the condition of the tires? When you tried to countersteer, was your foot on the gas or the brake?

I went over 1 island, 1 center median and the side walk. Car ended up under a small fence. That's going over 3 curbs and off 2 curbs. 5 curbs total!
What were the road conditions? Dry, wet, slick? Sounds like the road wasn't dry at all.

When i felt like i had no hope and was going to hit the island curb i slam the brakes but the car still continued to move forward from one side of the street (far right lane) to the left side of the street (far left lane). About 5 lanes total so u can imagine the distance from one side to another. How the **** can i go over all those lanes and at the same time slamming the brakes and still go over an island, center median and sidewalk. I would imagine if it was a normal car losing control and slamming the brakes the car would probably be at a dead stop after hitting the first island.
That's one hell of a ride.

Anyways the car is 44k in damage. I can go into details of the damage later. Insurance says they would rather write off the car and pay me full value for the vehicle (68k) then fix it. Lexus collision center also said they will not guarantee any other problems after fixing what they know of. Insurance also said they would save money fixing it but they came to conclusion to write it off. What i'm thinking is that my insurance company doesnt want to risk insuring my vehicle after its fixed. My main question is what process do i take to deal with this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure how your insurance laws or policies work in Canada, but here in the US, depending on the carrier, they will total a car when damages exceed 80%. Some total damages to 100%. Your ISF's value should be determined by a guideline or fair market value. Factors like mileage and condition will be added or subtracted to that amount. Once that is determined, less your agreed deductible and salvage bid, a settlement offer will be given to you. You will not get 100% of the value of your ISF unless your policy has some kind of clause that guarantees you that. Since you have already reported this to your insurance company, you should let them continue with their claim.

HOW DO I DEAL WITH THE RECALL????

Thanx everybody that's listening and helping!!
As far as the recall is concerned, as JavyLSU and RTIS250 have mentioned, the only recall related to the ISF at this time is the pedal entrapment issue. There are no SUA cases with the ISF to date. I would have to say your incident seems to be an isolated issue, not recall related.

Just FYI, my daily grind involves accident investigations, which is the reason why the questions I have posted above.
Old 04-23-10, 03:45 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not sure how your insurance laws or policies work in Canada, but here in the US, depending on the carrier, they will total a car when damages exceed 80%. Some total damages to 100%. Your ISF's value should be determined by a guideline or fair market value. Factors like mileage and condition will be added or subtracted to that amount. Once that is determined, less your agreed deductible and salvage bid, a settlement offer will be given to you. You will not get 100% of the value of your ISF unless your policy has some kind of clause that guarantees you that. Since you have already reported this to your insurance company, you should let them continue with their claim.
Fair assessment, Flipside......

On the insurance question: He probably has 'replacement value' coverage.
I have that and for the first 2 years (on my policy), the car is replaced by a new one without loss.

Colin.
Old 04-23-10, 09:43 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervenom
this guy can't drive. Period.
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-10, 12:03 PM
cliffordw
Driver School Candidate

IMO You were simply going too fast for the road conditions present.

I've personally driven the ISF on a track out in CA with Javy and other CL members here and we've thrown the car around corners to get the rear end loose but the tires are just super sticky and the car's "don't crash the car when you're driving like an idiot" system always kicked in. I could imagine your scenario happening if maybe the pavement was wet and you were going too fast... Considering you were coming off a freeway, it sounds like you just didn't slow down enough and you figured the car's computer would keep you on the right line and went ahead through the turn way too fast.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-23-10, 01:03 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why don't you get a great deal on a new 2010? Like most of us, we bought ours new.
I think he wants it for parts development not to drive around lol