IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Importing IS-F from states to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 12:19 PM
kartelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing IS-F from states to Canada

Questions for those canadian members who have bought an IS-F from the states. I'm in the process of sourcing one. Can the gauge cluster be changed to read metric vs imperial? I know on my IS350 navi portion it is interchangable between US/Canadian standards, however I'm not so sure about the gauge cluster/temperature settings. Can anyone chime in their experience?
Old 04-12-10, 04:37 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats wrong with the canadian version IS-F's??
Old 04-12-10, 06:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
whats wrong with the canadian version IS-F's??
My thoughts exactly?

Even with the dollar hovering around par, you will have to pay GST and duty on an incoming F. You can only import a vehicle from the US without paying duty if it was actually manufactured in the US. You also have to make sure that the US F's meet ALL of the Canadian safety standards (a major issue with bringing in some of the US spec German vehicles). The RIV website will have most of the answers you need.
Old 04-12-10, 07:19 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my original plan was to buy it and import to canada
and im glad I didnt
the canadian wheels are different and in my opinion far better
Old 04-13-10, 08:14 AM
kartelli
Driver School Candidate

Nothing wrong with Canadian IS-F's, it would be my first preference.

There is a 10k difference in price after its all said and done importing to canada. All 2008 IS-F's available through local dealerships are going for 60k and change... pretty steep comparing the same value car in the states going for 42k. With gst & import fees your sitting around 50k mark. Its worth investigating to save 10k... hence my questions!
Old 04-13-10, 03:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by kartelli
Questions for those canadian members who have bought an IS-F from the states. I'm in the process of sourcing one. Can the gauge cluster be changed to read metric vs imperial? I know on my IS350 navi portion it is interchangable between US/Canadian standards, however I'm not so sure about the gauge cluster/temperature settings. Can anyone chime in their experience?
Guage cluster/temp settings are not interchangeable. Also because you are importing a US bound car into Canada, it would be considered a gray market car. Factory warranties and such are not transferable.
Old 04-13-10, 06:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Guage cluster/temp settings are not interchangeable. Also because you are importing a US bound car into Canada, it would be considered a gray market car. Factory warranties and such are not transferable.
Is that a Lexus-only policy on the warranty?

I had looked at importing my X5 from the US as I wouldn't have had to pay duty with it being built in South Carolina. I had inquired if the factory warranty was transferrable and they said that it was in full. What wasn't transferrable was the maintenance package or anything that was dealer provided.
Old 04-13-10, 10:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Is that a Lexus-only policy on the warranty?

I had looked at importing my X5 from the US as I wouldn't have had to pay duty with it being built in South Carolina. I had inquired if the factory warranty was transferrable and they said that it was in full. What wasn't transferrable was the maintenance package or anything that was dealer provided.
Here is info from Lexus USA:

http://www.lexus.com/contact/warrant....html?answer=3

Originally Posted by Lexus USA

Q: If I take my Lexus outside of the U.S.A., will I still have warranty coverage?

A: As noted in the Lexus Warranty and Services Guide, warranty coverage is only applicable to any vehicle registered and normally operated within the United States mainland, Alaska and Canada. If you are touring or relocating outside of the U.S. mainland, Canada or Mexico warranty service is not provided by the local dealer because the local Lexus distributor may have no obligation to provide warranty service to your vehicle and/or your Lexus may not comply with the regulatory and/or environmental requirements of certain countries. In addition, depending on the model, it may be difficult to obtain appropriate Lexus Genuine parts for service and repairs. Please contact the local Lexus distributor applicable to the area for more information.
Old 04-13-10, 10:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Hmmm....Ryan, I read what you quoted as stating that it is covered under warranty anywhere in mainland US, Alaska or Canada.. Therefore, importing a vehicle in either direction should not interrupt the factory warranty coverage.
Old 04-13-10, 10:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Hmmm....Ryan, I read what you quoted as stating that it is covered under warranty anywhere in mainland US, Alaska or Canada.. Therefore, importing a vehicle in either direction should not interrupt the factory warranty coverage.
Hmm you're right. Let me take a look at the verbage in my owners manual about this. I know for a fact servicing a US bound Lexus in Canada is covered if you're traveling in the country but i don't recall if it changes if you change residency in another country. It is fact that you cannot buy a new untitled Lexus in the USA if you live in and register in Canada...and vice versa.
Old 04-13-10, 11:10 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Hmm you're right. Let me take a look at the verbage in my owners manual about this. I know for a fact servicing a US bound Lexus in Canada is covered if you're traveling in the country but i don't recall if it changes if you change residency in another country. It is fact that you cannot buy a new untitled Lexus in the USA if you live in and register in Canada...and vice versa.
Sorry, but again that's not totally accurate. I know that we can buy any vehicle in the US. The question becomes how much duty we pay on it. We are required to pay our GST (Goods & Services Tax = 5%) on the converted value into CND dollars. We escape duty if the vehicle was manufactured in the US. We can purchase a new vehicle if it was built outside of the US, but must pay duty that is typically cost prohibitive. Mercedes, for example, are difficult and expensive to import because some of the US models don't meet our bumper safety requirements.

The vehicle must meet current Canadian safety standards, have DRL installed within a set time frame, and pass a full inspection once into Canada again within a set time frame. It takes a few days between purchase for Customs to receive all the necessary documentation.

This website pretty much lays most of it out:

http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
Old 04-16-10, 08:43 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats incorrect ...warranties ARE transferable
Old 04-18-10, 10:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Sorry, but again that's not totally accurate. I
know that we can buy any vehicle in the US.
Lexus Dealerships here in the US will not sell a NEW & UNTITLED car outside of the United States. You all in Canada can buy any vehicle, but it's all dependent on if you buy the car new from a dealer or used from a broker or used car lot. Most manufacturers and dealers are bound to franchise agreements. Unless you have really good connections, it has to be done under the table and with a lot of money of course.

According to the government website you linked. These list of Toyota/Lexus passenger cars can be brought in. 2008 and 2009. But then again, the disclaimer does say info is subject to change without notice.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...TA___LEXUS.htm
Old 04-19-10, 09:17 PM
kimanh
Rookie

Originally Posted by Manny735
Thats incorrect ...warranties ARE transferable
if they r , ur gonna have a hard time with dealers doinh warrnty work on ur car since most dealers won't honour the warnnty since it U.S car. i read abt this issue all the time on canadian car forums. anyways good luck with your search, alot of deals to be had there now since our dollar is on par.
Old 06-16-10, 08:36 PM
Stereosage
Driver School Candidate

I am looking at importing an RX 350 into Canada. I called Lexus of America and they confirmed Lexus warranties apply in North America.