IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 01:03 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

playing cards in a kid's bicycle spokes.........basically. I dig the added sound but your not going any faster. In fact it might actually slightly slow you down
Old 08-04-15, 07:23 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

After I read the 10+ pages, here are my remaining questions:

1) How long does it take the ECU to adjust AFRs and fuel curves?

2) If pulling the battery terminal has no affect on "learned" curves, is it possible that it may be difficult to EVER get a comparison reading or an apples to apples comparsion?

3) Are the people comparing intakes (vs other aftermarket intakes or stock) waiting for or accounting for the lengthy time to adjust?

4) Has anyone done flow bench testing on the stock box vs aftermarket solutions or are we going solely off of dyno data taken from multiple dynos, different dyno manufacturers, different ambient conditions, and quite frankly different cars (albeit same make and model)?

I would love to know the current best knowledge on this topic because I have located a stock airbox for purchase after reading how bad the K&N CAI (and others) was due to heat soak. Now given the uncertainty of how the K&N was determined to be bad it makes me wonder if it is no better or no worse (over time) than anything else.

My biggest concern is can the stock airbox repeatedly give me better performance over the K&N, and if I chose to purchase the stock airbox and install headers, will the increase in exhaust flow be inhibited by the stock airbox or can the stock box flow enough to maximize gains seen from the headers? Do definitive answers to these questions exist? Does anyone have dyno data for their mods taken months after the mods were done? This would seem to allow all things to return to equilibrium rather taking data from dyno run taken an hour after an intake was installed.
Old 08-04-15, 08:58 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has certainly been a very interesting thread. Lots of good information. I guess the big question in my mind at this point is: why hasn't anyone tried to put together a true cold air system that is pulling air from the fender well area (similar to an AEM cold air intake)? I see from AEM's website that they are requesting the use of an IS-F for fabrication use, so I'm wondering why nobody local has jumped on that? If the biggest factor holding the short ram style intakes back is heat soak, it seems like a no-brainer to put together a true cold air style intake, especially since the price point for the Takeda is approaching $350 give or take. A similar style intake from AEM ( the Dodge Challenger/Charger for example) is a similar style/shape that would be needed for the IS-F and it's about $370 direct from AEM. Can't imagine that none of these vendors has at least considered the possibility of a real cold air intake system...
Old 08-05-15, 06:47 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Well, I purchased the OEM intake yesterday from a local salvage yard. They are parting the car (Black 2009 I think) out and they are called Eastern Auto Salvage in Biscoe, NC. I came across them on car-part.com.

I plan on buying a drop in filter and running the stock system, but will hold onto the K&N in case I don't like the stock system. If I can find the time and a local dyno, I would like to examine the existing K&N now and the new stock one about 3 months after installing it. It would be great to find an indoor dyno with repeatable temp and humidity. With all of the local NASCAR shops, I would imagine an indoor dyno would not be hard to find.

Anyone running the stock box with headers? If so, what hp are you making?
Old 08-05-15, 09:14 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Various people are running headers and exhaust with stock intake. They make between 390 to 410 depending on dyno and conditions
Old 08-05-15, 09:21 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by otbevo
This has certainly been a very interesting thread. Lots of good information. I guess the big question in my mind at this point is: why hasn't anyone tried to put together a true cold air system that is pulling air from the fender well area (similar to an AEM cold air intake)? I see from AEM's website that they are requesting the use of an IS-F for fabrication use, so I'm wondering why nobody local has jumped on that? If the biggest factor holding the short ram style intakes back is heat soak, it seems like a no-brainer to put together a true cold air style intake, especially since the price point for the Takeda is approaching $350 give or take. A similar style intake from AEM ( the Dodge Challenger/Charger for example) is a similar style/shape that would be needed for the IS-F and it's about $370 direct from AEM. Can't imagine that none of these vendors has at least considered the possibility of a real cold air intake system...
One guy ran a pipe straight from the outside to the intake without filter or anything and he didn't see any improvements at all at the track. I'm not sure whether he dyno it or not.
Old 08-05-15, 11:06 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jat0223
Various people are running headers and exhaust with stock intake. They make between 390 to 410 depending on dyno and conditions
Thanks for that information. I will go ahead and buy the oil-free drop in and call it a day. On to headers next...
Old 08-05-15, 07:51 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jat0223
One guy ran a pipe straight from the outside to the intake without filter or anything and he didn't see any improvements at all at the track. I'm not sure whether he dyno it or not.
I wouldn't imagine that would help in the slightest... there's a decent amount of engineering and design that goes into a properly setup intake. Pipe diameter, MAF placement, length, etc.
Old 08-05-15, 09:14 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58
Thanks for that information. I will go ahead and buy the oil-free drop in and call it a day. On to headers next...
Wise move.
Old 08-05-15, 09:16 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by otbevo
Isn't the stock box goes into the fender in the first place?

Lexus put a ton of R&D into this car, including the dual stage intake. I don't know how much more improvement can be made to it, consider it's a naturally aspirated engine, hence may not be worth the stretch on trying to develop something better.
Old 08-06-15, 09:35 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Isn't the stock box goes into the fender in the first place?

Lexus put a ton of R&D into this car, including the dual stage intake. I don't know how much more improvement can be made to it, consider it's a naturally aspirated engine, hence may not be worth the stretch on trying to develop something better.
Not disagreeing with you in the slightest. It's always worth pondering if something can be improved upon though. Placing the filter in the fender well should in theory lower intake air temperature and help with heatsoak. Lots of naturally aspirated cars benefit from true cold air intake setups. Can't imagine this car would be any different.

**EDIT**Just spoke with AEM and they are looking for a 2013-2014 IS-F for R&D use and/or intake fabrication. They need the vehicle for a couple of weeks and will provide a rental car for the duration. Customer gets an intake for free out of the deal. Fill out the form here if you're interested: http://www.aemintakes.com/search/vehicle.aspx

Last edited by otbevo; 08-06-15 at 09:55 AM. Reason: New info from AEM
Old 09-10-15, 04:28 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Anybody take AEM's offer on the R&D for the intake??
Old 12-21-18, 01:58 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Literally scrolling through...

Can someone tell me? Is Injen better? I got it as a gift so wanted to know if its good for performance or its just a loss of hp.
The following users liked this post:
Carlos250 (10-14-20)