IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 06:51 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry for the non-ISF question, but I believe setup in question is available for ISF and with this being the best forum around, I am hoping the get some feedback.
I did some work on my 09 Porsche Cayenne GTS today. I noticed, the front brake pads are almost in need to be replaced.

Just like my ISF, my Cayenne has the 2pc RacingBrake/Figs rotors up in front. Unfortunately, the Project Mu HC+800 are not available for the Porsche application, I am now leaning towards Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Questions:
1) based on my research, Ferodo DS2500 should be quite close performance-wise to the Project Mu HC+800 is that right?

2) how are these as far as the noise? (I don't care about the dust as I am all about performance.)

3) how aggressive are these for the life of the rotors?

Any other brake pads I should consider besides the Ferodos?
I am looking for the maximum performance with minimal noise, I also don't want to destroy my expensive rotors.

Last edited by Rossi; 12-25-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 08:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I have Ferodo DS2500 in front and PM HC+800 pads in back. I find that they are an excellent match. I've had the Ferodos for quite some time now, but as I recall they dust a bit less then the stock pads did, but grab and feel much better. I am very happy with them and when it's time to replace I will go with them again. Now for the record, installing RRRacing's A Arm bushings also changed the feel of the brakes. Again the USRS kit improved what I call the grab and feel. I luv 'em. As far as noise, once properly bedded in, there is none

My rotors still look god.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
jv12 (12-26-16)
Old 12-25-16, 08:50 PM
Rossi
Racer

Thank you Lou.
Look like I am on the right track getting those. GREAT!!!
Bavarian (12-26-16)
Old 12-27-16, 09:42 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Sorry for the non-ISF question, but I believe setup in question is available for ISF and with this being the best forum around, I am hoping the get some feedback.
I did some work on my 09 Porsche Cayenne GTS today. I noticed, the front brake pads are almost in need to be replaced.

Just like my ISF, my Cayenne has the 2pc RacingBrake/Figs rotors up in front. Unfortunately, the Project Mu HC+800 are not available for the Porsche application, I am now leaning towards Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Questions:
1) based on my research, Ferodo DS2500 should be quite close performance-wise to the Project Mu HC+800 is that right?

2) how are these as far as the noise? (I don't care about the dust as I am all about performance.)

3) how aggressive are these for the life of the rotors?

Any other brake pads I should consider besides the Ferodos?
I am looking for the maximum performance with minimal noise, I also don't want to destroy my expensive rotors.
Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend! You are on the right track looking at the DS2500- in my honest opinion they are the next best option if you care more about performance and less about dust. Like the HC+800 they have some potential to make a little noise during light applications of the brake at low speed (like parallel parking or creeping forward at a stop light). However if they are properly bedded they should be very quiet all the time. They aren't too terribly aggressive on rotors either so there should be no issues there. I was trying to look into the PFC's street pads for you but I need to know what rotor size you have. Have you already found the part number for the Ferodos or would you like me to find it?

-Matt M.
Old 12-27-16, 09:45 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend! You are on the right track looking at the DS2500- in my honest opinion they are the next best option if you care more about performance and less about dust. Like the HC+800 they have some potential to make a little noise during light applications of the brake at low speed (like parallel parking or creeping forward at a stop light). However if they are properly bedded they should be very quiet all the time. They aren't too terribly aggressive on rotors either so there should be no issues there. I was trying to look into the PFC's street pads for you but I need to know what rotor size you have. Have you already found the part number for the Ferodos or would you like me to find it?

-Matt M.

do you guys reply to PMs or Emails? matt, I've personally emailed you, called, and PM'd on here. not one single reply for a month.
Old 12-27-16, 09:47 AM
Rossi
Racer

-Matt M.
Matt, thank you for the confirmation. I think I am convinced on the ferodos now.I have 350 mm rotors in the front.
The ferodo part number is: FCP1626H

Last edited by Rossi; 12-27-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 10:16 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
do you guys reply to PMs or Emails? matt, I've personally emailed you, called, and PM'd on here. not one single reply for a month.
This is my fault, I've been out with illness quite a bit lately. Mix that with the holidays, family, travel etc. and I fell quite a bit behind so I apologize. I still have nothing really to report on the RCF pads for you, everyone has been shut down and I wont have an update until next week but I should have emailed back to let you know. Again I am sorry for any frustration I have caused, I will do my best to make it up to you going forward if you give me the chance

-Matt M.
Old 12-27-16, 10:21 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Matt, thank you for the confirmation. I think I am convinced on the ferodos now.I have 350 mm rotors in the front.
The ferodo part number is: FCP1626H
Got it- you need FCP1625H front and FCP1308H rear (if you ever need or want the matching rears). Here are the direct links for you:
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21260644...-fcp1625h.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-17719217...sche-rear.html

If you decide you'd like to order through us I can apply the club lexus discount for you

-Matt M.
Old 12-27-16, 10:39 AM
Rossi
Racer

Got it- you need FCP1625H front and FCP1308H rear (if you ever need or want the matching rears). Here are the direct links for you:
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21260644...-fcp1625h.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-17719217...sche-rear.html

If you decide you'd like to order through us I can apply the club lexus discount for you

-Matt M.
Great Matt, please PM the pricing with ClubLexus discount for the front. My rear is this at about 60% left so not yet. But definitely in the future.
I thought the pads I needed were FCP1626H, apparently not. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-27-16, 10:41 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

This is my fault, I've been out with illness quite a bit lately. Mix that with the holidays, family, travel etc. and I fell quite a bit behind so I apologize. I still have nothing really to report on the RCF pads for you, everyone has been shut down and I wont have an update until next week but I should have emailed back to let you know. Again I am sorry for any frustration I have caused, I will do my best to make it up to you going forward if you give me the chance

-Matt M.

Hope you feel better Matt. I saw the RCF pads on your website ready to be ordered which is why I've been messaging as of late. thank you.
Old 12-27-16, 12:33 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Great Matt, please PM the pricing with ClubLexus discount for the front. My rear is this at about 60% left so not yet. But definitely in the future.
I thought the pads I needed were FCP1626H, apparently not. Thank you for your help.
Sending you a PM as well but I just wanted to confirm my findings with the part numbers. FCP1626 and 1625 look almost identical, 1626 just has ~6mm taller annulus. All my literature is showing 1625 as being the OEM shape for a 955 4.8L S and GTS (w/ iron rotors) while the 1626 is for the 955 4.5L Turbos. Although both use 350mm rotors, they have a slightly taller swept depth/annulus. Brembo makes some great products but they can be a nightmare to work with because they make so many different calipers and caliper rotor combos (even within the same applications) that are just ever so slightly different and it always causes a ton of confusion Anyways I hope that clears up some confusion

-Matt M.
Old 12-27-16, 01:29 PM
Rossi
Racer

Sending you a PM as well but I just wanted to confirm my findings with the part numbers. FCP1626 and 1625 look almost identical, 1626 just has ~6mm taller annulus. All my literature is showing 1625 as being the OEM shape for a 955 4.8L S and GTS (w/ iron rotors) while the 1626 is for the 955 4.5L Turbos. Although both use 350mm rotors, they have a slightly taller swept depth/annulus. Brembo makes some great products but they can be a nightmare to work with because they make so many different calipers and caliper rotor combos (even within the same applications) that are just ever so slightly different and it always causes a ton of confusion Anyways I hope that clears up some confusion

-Matt M.
wow!!!
Great, thank you so much for the expertise. Very impressed. It is awesome to work with real expert. The findings are correct, I have 2009 957 GTS 4.8L V-8. PMed you back.

Last edited by Rossi; 12-27-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 10:35 AM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the set up I'm thinking of for my new brakes:

Brembo OEM front and rear rotors: $629.36
http://www.discountpartsmonster.com/
They are a Toyota dealership in Hollywood, FL

Project MU NS400s front and back pads $397.90
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11667143...e-special.html

Total Parts: $1051.05
Does that sound right?
I imagine the labor to be $300-400 or so

I don't track the car and it is a DD. I drive fast but I'm not crazy peeling out or burning rubber. FWIW the OEM price on the front and back Brembo pads from discountpartsmonster was $421.69. So $23.79 more than the Project Mus.... So given the choice... Brembo OEMs or Project MU pads?

Any Thoughts/Suggestions/Input is very welcome!! Thanks!
Old 12-28-16, 02:52 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jv12
So given the choice... Brembo OEMs or Project MU pads?
I think that depends on which attributes you value more.. If it's low dust/noise, the PMU pads win hands down. However, with those you'll give up some the initial bite compared to OEM & other more performance oriented pads. So, you'll have to adjust your braking force accordingly. If you prefer a quicker biting/more responsive pad, and don't mind some dust & occasional low speed noise, then stick with OEM or seek out a similarly priced equivalent.

I think the NS400 is great for a low dust, quiet street pad. I'm running them during the fall/winter, and will switch back to the Project Mu HC+800 when track season starts up again.

-Mike
jv12 (12-28-16)
Old 12-28-16, 03:15 PM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ Thanks Mike! That's a very helpful way to think about it!

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)