IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Old 10-27-17, 09:32 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280ISF
Another MX72 fan here, great pads! They seem to pair well with the RR Racing Willwood rear calipers and bp20 pads too.
We have the matching rear MX72 compound for those Wilwood calipers as well once those bp20s are worn

-Matt M.
Old 10-27-17, 10:18 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I just installed the MX72's. Absolute great performance pad, but for some reason, mine squeal like a pig. I'm told that they are normally quiet, but not the case for me. I'm going to take the brakes apart this weekend, clean them real good and put them back together to see if it fixes the noise. We'll see. I really want them to quiet down because you truly can't beat the performance of these things!
Old 10-27-17, 11:19 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

^^ They should not be making any crazy noises like that. I still think this comes down to a bedding issue that will work itself out after getting some more miles on the brakes and perhaps a few more good heat cycles. I'll keep in touch and I'm sure we'll get it sorted out sooner than later.

-Matt M.
Old 10-27-17, 11:41 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Hey Matt! During my trip to Vegas, I did several aggressive braking cycles that got them nice and hot. The good thing about the long road trip was that after getting them nice and hot, I was able to drive normally for long periods of time so that they had a chance to naturally cool on their own. Unfortunately, after all that, it seems like the sound got louder. The good thing is, I think I have narrowed it down to just the rears making noise. That's why I'm going to take them apart, clean them, regrees them and put them back together.
Old 10-27-17, 12:09 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Hey Matt! During my trip to Vegas, I did several aggressive braking cycles that got them nice and hot. The good thing about the long road trip was that after getting them nice and hot, I was able to drive normally for long periods of time so that they had a chance to naturally cool on their own. Unfortunately, after all that, it seems like the sound got louder. The good thing is, I think I have narrowed it down to just the rears making noise. That's why I'm going to take them apart, clean them, regrees them and put them back together.
Strange. I really wish I was sitting in the passenger seat so I could see exactly what was done. Normally if it was just the rears making noise I'd say you need to get them super hot again because the rears did not get hot enough to fully bed but it sounds like that was done on your trip. In that case then my next move would be to drive them normally on the street for a while and cold brake as much as possible like we talked about. Use the abrasiveness at low temps to scrape away the existing transfer layer and or wear down the top layer of the pads in the case they glazed a bit during bedding if you really fried them on the initial heat cycle. I'm sure they'll quiet down. It's just strange that your set did not get off to the best start for one reason or another.

-Matt M.
Old 10-27-17, 10:17 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Matt,

Im interested in the MX72’s front and rear...please shoot me a PM with the price. Thanks!
Old 10-28-17, 09:38 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I just installed the MX72's. Absolute great performance pad, but for some reason, mine squeal like a pig. I'm told that they are normally quiet, but not the case for me. I'm going to take the brakes apart this weekend, clean them real good and put them back together to see if it fixes the noise. We'll see. I really want them to quiet down because you truly can't beat the performance of these things!
Interesting???.....I never had any issues with my sets of MX-72s over the last couple years with squealing

Hopefully what Matt said above will help out? with some time and a better transfer layer on the rear rotors hopefully it'll go away.

Mine are silent about 95% of the time every once in a while I'll get a little squeal but it's not a big deal because it's so rare to hear anything from these pads.
Old 10-28-17, 04:13 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Interesting???.....I never had any issues with my sets of MX-72s over the last couple years with squealing

Hopefully what Matt said above will help out? with some time and a better transfer layer on the rear rotors hopefully it'll go away.

Mine are silent about 95% of the time every once in a while I'll get a little squeal but it's not a big deal because it's so rare to hear anything from these pads.
Yeah, from what I hear, these pads are relatively quiet. I'd like to say that it was an install error, but I've done more brake jobs than I can count over the years so I'm pretty seasoned in this area.
Last night, I came home from work and pulled into the garage. I then walked upstairs to say hello to my wife and she said, "I heard you pull in... not by the sound of your engine, but by the loud squealing of your brakes".
I've narrowed it down to the rears, so I'm going to take them apart tomorrow, clean them up, put them back together and see if that fixes the issue. We'll see.....
I really hope I can get this issue resolved because like I said, these pads are awesome from a performance standpoint!
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (10-28-17)
Old 11-16-17, 03:47 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Any rotor deals going on lately? I'm debating on stock-ish and wait for a deal on a used BBK, or just shell out a little more for 2-piece now. I've tracked the car twice and plan to a lot more in the future. Thanks!
Old 11-18-17, 07:19 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious if you installed these with new rotors?

I believe I was one of the first to purchase a set of these from Matt sometime in late '14 or early '15. Before I had the opportunity to install them, a (seriously) good friend was in need of brakes all around on his '11 F. We installed the MX-72's all around with a fresh set of Brembo's (or whomever actually manufactures them, I know the drill) purchased off eBay. This was the third set of OEM style F rotors of this manufacturer, purchased from the same seller.

All I can say is these pads have worn like iron (the front rotors have taken a bit of hit with approximately 28k on the set), are quiet as a church mouse, substantially less dust than the OEM pads, and definitely work well when there is some heat in them. I will not hesitate to buy another set sometime in the future when I get back to putting some miles on the F. As has been stated, cost is prohibitive compared to many other offerings, but I am pretty impressed with these.
Old 11-19-17, 08:58 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ended up having to go with stock Brembo rotors, as RR Racing isn't expecting their 2-piece fronts to be available for several weeks. Which leads me to my next question... posted this on the Brembo rotor thread as well but hoping some folks here might be more helpful:

My rear rotors have seen a couple track days, but only have maybe 20k on them, so I'd like to reuse them if possible with new pads. Is it really important that I have them turned, or will the new pads (Project Mu HC800) bed in fine as-is? I keep reading things about transfer layer - is this something I could get off with simple brake cleaner?

All that said, I have some meat left on the existing rear pads so was maybe going to keep them on a bit longer if possible as well... I know that might only increase the front bias already present in our cars, but would that necessarily be a safety issue tracking on a cool day? I have an event in December and another in March at CoTA. Thanks!
Old 11-19-17, 09:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^There is no good reason for resurfacing rotors unless they have developed high spots. If the rotors measure OK and the minimum thickness of .26mm is exceeded and they are smooth and true than you are golden. However, with track days, the drilled holes may have developed cracks. Check for cracks and if they have appeared the rotors need to be replaced. But, cracks on the rear rotors are rare, much more common on the drilled fronts. Which is why my fronts are slotted.

The new PMs will bed-in just fine.

Lou
Leander311 (11-20-17)
Old 11-19-17, 05:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My rear rotors lasted 120k miles and a half dozen track weekends with Carbotech XP10s in them. The rear rotors never get substantially hot. Ever. I've been through 5 sets of front rotors, and mostly for cracking, not for thickness. Currently on Raybestos, and there is no substantive difference between them and genuine Lexus rotors.
Leander311 (11-20-17)
Old 11-19-17, 06:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^Lance

Have you ever thought of slotted rotors in the front

Lou
Old 11-19-17, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Lance

Have you ever thought of slotted rotors in the front

Lou
Yes, but nothing more than thinking about it. At this point, the OEM style rotors are so cheap it's difficult to justify the expense of two piece rotors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)