IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 08:19 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Hi guys, I've read through every page of this thread and I have not seen Porterfield pads mentioned. I use their R4-S pads on my other car to replace the dusty, not so rotor friendly, but excellent stopping power Brembo pads that were supplied with their BBK. My F only has 2K miles so I am not close to replacing them yet, at least for now I clean the wheels after each drive though and it's getting old. I am planning on getting a set of FIGS/RB 2-piece rotors and use the R4-S pads when time comes. If anyone has experience with these pads on their F, please chime in on what you think about them. For my supra, they are pretty close to the brembos as far as initial bite and the dusting is about 80% less, rotors are also still perfect after a lot of aggressive driving/heavy braking.
Here's a link to the R4-S from Porterfield. The part numbers for our pads are: AP 1365 and AP 1366

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_45_30.pdf

Last edited by JT2MA71; 07-10-13 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 08:53 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello Firzen,

Okay, great information! I see the layout of the track and I do not disagree - although I see enough length after hard turns for cooling, you would benefit from pads like HC+ here instead of StopTech- The overall temp range is broader and fade after 500*C is very manageable with the HC+.

You cannot argue with utilizing StopTech for the money first especially since you are not at the track often and stock pads were working well for you. I would back that option as well- If and when you fade those, or your skills advance enough to do so on the track, let us know and we'll help with the next step up that is compatible as a street pad as well.

Were you looking for rotors as well?

Originally Posted by firzen
This is the main track in our region: http://www.auto24ring.ee/cms-data/up...urring-uus.png

It's about 1.30 track and running 7-8 laps at once including cooling and heating, last time with stock pads i let it cool for about 45mins after every run. Using street tires.

Experience is not that big, only been on the track three times in total.

Since we only have 3-4 months of good weather here (maybe 5) then the track part is not crucial. I can handle driving with normal pads on the track as 99% of the driving time is done on the street but with a heavy foot of course.

The stock pads were totally fine but now that i have to change them again the dealer quoted me €700 for front and rear pads (about $1000) and that's just ridiculous when i'm looking that StopTech pads go for $89 a set. Same goes for rotors.
Old 07-11-13, 10:07 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ron,

That's exactly what I was thinking I was looking at porterfields my self. I had great success with them at the track on my supra as well. I'm about to replace my front breaks, as I did a lapping session on my Project MU and they are pretty much done in the front.

I don't want to try the cheaper rotor options due to fear of warping them on the first time out.

Anyone go lapping with the centric / raybestos?
Old 07-11-13, 11:07 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Great thread.

Just ordered the Stoptech street performance pads (front and rear). Great bargain for $150 shipped.
Old 07-12-13, 06:42 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Speed-freaks.net please check your pm. Thanks
Old 07-12-13, 08:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^A better way to reach them would be here:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=c...su&body&shva=1

Lou
Old 07-12-13, 01:08 PM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was running out of time so i had to order something and went with Remsa pads which are the European equivalent of Brembo but i do appreciate the help.

I also ordered TRW pads to test their durability, dust and so forth. They are going under first and i'll be testing them out on the streets.

I am pretty sure i will need to change the rotors soon and te brake fluid even sooner so suggestions for those would be appreciated. From what i've read then in Europe the best option are Pagid rotors but still clueless about the fluid.

Also, would there be any dangers trying to fit US market parts to a car produced for Europe? Speaking of rotors, pads, intake and maybe exhaust. Any suggestions who to order from in the US with delivery to Europe?

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
Hello Firzen,

Okay, great information! I see the layout of the track and I do not disagree - although I see enough length after hard turns for cooling, you would benefit from pads like HC+ here instead of StopTech- The overall temp range is broader and fade after 500*C is very manageable with the HC+.

You cannot argue with utilizing StopTech for the money first especially since you are not at the track often and stock pads were working well for you. I would back that option as well- If and when you fade those, or your skills advance enough to do so on the track, let us know and we'll help with the next step up that is compatible as a street pad as well.

Were you looking for rotors as well?
Old 07-12-13, 02:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by firzen
Also, would there be any dangers trying to fit US market parts to a car produced for Europe? Speaking of rotors, pads, intake and maybe exhaust. Any suggestions who to order from in the US with delivery to Europe?
All the parts you mention should work well in US market ISF and European ISF. The only difference would be headers. LHD vs RHD. PPE makes both LHD and RHD headers..

Lou
Old 07-16-13, 10:45 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Hi guys, I've read through every page of this thread and I have not seen Porterfield pads mentioned. I use their R4-S pads on my other car to replace the dusty, not so rotor friendly, but excellent stopping power Brembo pads that were supplied with their BBK. My F only has 2K miles so I am not close to replacing them yet, at least for now I clean the wheels after each drive though and it's getting old. I am planning on getting a set of FIGS/RB 2-piece rotors and use the R4-S pads when time comes. If anyone has experience with these pads on their F, please chime in on what you think about them. For my supra, they are pretty close to the brembos as far as initial bite and the dusting is about 80% less, rotors are also still perfect after a lot of aggressive driving/heavy braking.
Here's a link to the R4-S from Porterfield. The part numbers for our pads are: AP 1365 and AP 1366

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_45_30.pdf
They are great pads, but we have limited experience on the IS-F platform and would welcome the input. If we could help members with reduced cost on the pads in exchange for collective feedback, would that work as a deal? We would be able to ship these as early as Thursday/Friday should the need call for it - Shipping is covered by us (Ground).

AP 1365 R4-S | $146 CL Member Cost / $179.95 List
AP 1366 R4-S | $117.47 CL Member Cost / $149.00 List
Old 07-16-13, 01:23 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
They are great pads, but we have limited experience on the IS-F platform and would welcome the input. If we could help members with reduced cost on the pads in exchange for collective feedback, would that work as a deal? We would be able to ship these as early as Thursday/Friday should the need call for it - Shipping is covered by us (Ground).

AP 1365 R4-S | $146 CL Member Cost / $179.95 List
AP 1366 R4-S | $117.47 CL Member Cost / $149.00 List
I'm actually in need of front pads very soon so I'd be willing to give them a go and be a tester. I was thinking of Project Mu's... but I'll be willing to help out the forums!
Old 07-16-13, 11:07 PM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. Time for me to start looking at brake options. I do not think I saw this combo earlier and as such would like some thoughts: Centric Rotors w/Project MU NS400 pads.... Good??
Old 07-20-13, 05:39 AM
Vervish
Racer

Installed the Stoptech pads, front and rear and bedded them in properly. They feel very much like stock as far as initial bite goes. Can't comment on the dusting yet, but they are very quiet and work as well (maybe a little better) than stock.
Old 07-20-13, 12:04 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Installed the Stoptech pads, front and rear and bedded them in properly. They feel very much like stock as far as initial bite goes. Can't comment on the dusting yet, but they are very quiet and work as well (maybe a little better) than stock.
Did you just swap the pads or did you install new rotors too?
Old 07-20-13, 05:26 PM
Vervish
Racer

Just pads...bought the car with 15k miles, rotors looked good.
Old 07-21-13, 01:35 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So... in consideration of the issues that were brought up about the Wearever Ceramics...

And since I already have them sitting on the shelf...

Should I use these?

I don't track my car, and I'm generally pretty easy on the brakes unless it's an emergency situation. I don't think I've ever had to use the ABS on the F yet....

I do want a very low dust option but still be able to depend on my brakes should the need arises obviously...

So.....

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)