IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 03:11 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legato
Does anyone know what change was made? Are they producing less dust now? Has anyone ordered from Sewell recently and received the new pads?

Toyota Sweden wants $750 for a set of front pads!!! So crazy...

Just ordered a pair of rotors for $246 from here: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html

Seems like a great price compared to the $562 at Sewell...
Hmm I think these are the same ones the dealership put on my car when I purchased it.....FYI the rotor hats are not coated and will rust like crazy....drives me nuts
Old 11-20-12, 04:15 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmac
I have read this entire thread and don't think I found a good answer to my question. I just want new pads. My rotors are fine. I want close to stock feel and grip, much less dust, and no squeals. I don't track it (yet) and just need to get new pads as my squeal indicator is driving me nuts. Carobotechs or Wearevers perhaps? Stoptech reviews seem mixed and I'm guessing Raybesto's are more for the track.

Also, I never heard if anyone could explain the new OEM part number and if they have less dust. Sewell still lists the old -120 part number. Do 2012's and 13's dust as bad as older models?

Thx
I just changed my brake pads to Wearevers about two weeks ago. Install was super easy. The fronts have hardly any dust, but the rears still have some dust. Not as bad as OEM though. No squealing at all either.

I purchased them from Advance Auto Parts, but I can't find them on their website anymore.
Wearever part numbers for reference- Fronts: CNAD 1365 Rears: CNAD 1366

They cost less than $100 and feel similar to OEM. I'd definitely recommend them to someone that is not tracking the car and wants a lot less brake dust.
Old 11-28-12, 07:34 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Wearevers stop as well as the OEMs? I find that hard to believe since they are so inexpensive.

I've read thru this entire thread and it has definitely gotten me very informed about our brake options; however, it has not helped to make up my mind 100% for a new setup.

To be honest, I don't really care about the brake dust, I clean my wheels twice a week during the summer anyway. I just want affordable rotors/pads that stop as well as the OEMs (or very close to it) and have absolutely NO SQUEALING. What should I buy?
Old 12-12-12, 05:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

So I came across an interesting web page today.

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product..._id=4141612133

Apparently the Lexus, Raybestos and AIMCO discs are all made by Brembo. How interesting!

Even more part number equivalent options here: http://www.findpart.org/part/lex-435120w060. I bet Brembo is making all of them...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-07-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 06:05 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

wearever ceramics are officially discontinued. i got the front pads but the rear, can't be sourced at advance. my friend is a manager at advance and no other store has the rears in stock.

im thinking of going with a diff ceramic pad.. suggestions? i just need pads that dont dust and doesn't make noise. i can live without the crazy stopping power of the oem pads. i dont drive my car hard that much.
Old 12-12-12, 06:08 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So I came across an interesting web page today.

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product...n_id=769056089

Apparently the Lexus, Raybestos and AIMCO discs are all made by Brembo. How interesting!
I too just learned this earlier in the week. I had the factory rep out for a cruise in the F. They took some temp readings of the rotors and a sound recording of the pads squealing at sub 5 mph. After the Lexus engineers reviewed the findings they decided to replace the pads, shims, and to do a paper thin shaving of the rotors.

We will see if the new Brembo pads are any better than what came on the '12. My buddy with an M3 has the same squeal. The difference is that BMW said turn up the radio and close the windows.
Old 12-12-12, 07:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

my dilemma...

my goal was to have a quieter and a very very low dust set up , knowing 100% me compromising initial bite and strong pedal feel.

i currently only have (not installed) the wearever front ceramic pads since they are discontinued now and can't find a matching rear. i dont know why but i dont like mismatching things like that.

I have raybestos rotors on the way being shipped here already.

after researching, i came down to either project MU or carbotech bobcats. my friend works at a local carbotech dealer so im leaning towards this since i might can get this full set up for 300 all around.

so basically for average joe driving normal during the week and aggressive street driving on the weekends, my set up as follows:

raybestos rotors
carbotech bobcats pads
Motul rb600 fluid

does that sound about right? although im not a noob to brake set ups, i am to this vehicle and all feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-12-12, 07:53 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Project Mu FTW
Old 12-12-12, 07:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Project Mu FTW
is that what you have blitz? mind giving me a quick review. it seems everyone has diff opinions, its so confusing. lol. from what ive read, braking feel is bad, a bit noisy but doesn't dust?
Old 12-12-12, 08:06 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

No noise, bite just like stock if not better , and no dust b2design is vendor here will give u best deal of all vendors . lots of members has it.
Old 12-12-12, 08:20 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blitz_714
No noise, bite just like stock if not better , and no dust b2design is vendor here will give u best deal of all vendors . lots of members has it.
lol, that sounds like the God of all pads on this car then, haha. i just PMed b2design so hopefully they can get back to me by tomorrow.

as for the fluid, i read that moisture happens more with these types of fluids but will be changing out fluid every 25k-30k so hopefully all goes well.
Old 12-12-12, 08:59 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have any good alternatives to the wearever ceramics other than the project mu'$, for the rear? Seeing as they are now discontinued... I don't care about racing or any of that, my s2000 is my performance car. I want no dust, sick of cleaning my wheels after every drive.
Old 12-12-12, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
lol, that sounds like the God of all pads on this car then, haha. i just PMed b2design so hopefully they can get back to me by tomorrow.

as for the fluid, i read that moisture happens more with these types of fluids but will be changing out fluid every 25k-30k so hopefully all goes well.
You're wasting your money on fluid. If you don't track your car, any DOT 3 fluid will be fine. It's nearly impossible to cook your brakes with sane street driving.
Old 12-13-12, 03:39 PM
rupavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
wearever ceramics are officially discontinued. i got the front pads but the rear, can't be sourced at advance. my friend is a manager at advance and no other store has the rears in stock.

im thinking of going with a diff ceramic pad.. suggestions? i just need pads that dont dust and doesn't make noise. i can live without the crazy stopping power of the oem pads. i dont drive my car hard that much.
If you dont drive your car too hard i would suggest you get stoptech street performance pads. They're very reasonably priced have no noise or dust and honestly brake pretty well. After looking around quite a bit i found that amazon had the cheapest prices for the stoptechs. I'm currentky running them and couldn't be happier, I don't track my car, but i do drive it pretty hard and have no complains.
Old 12-13-12, 04:14 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a very low dust and no noise pad for the street thats cheap. I suggest the Duralast pads that Auto Zone sells. I got the top model they sell (Golds) because my friend had them on his Brembos on his TL Type S and told me to try them out. I don't track my F and was tired of how much brake dust the OEM Brembo pads put out, the wheels got dirty after a day. Well with the Duralast pads, which were only a little over $100 for front and rear pads, work great. Also it now takes at least a week of driving to even see any brake dust on the wheels compared to before with the stock pads. I love the fact that the wheels actually stay clean now. Also I noticed no difference in how the car stops, feels almost exactly the same as before. I kept my Brembo pads in case I ever wanted to use them again. The Duralast pads also have a lifetime warranty. So you really will only have to pay for them once.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)