IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

About the Unintended Acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 09:17 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the Unintended Acceleration...

Is there a computer reflash coming for this? A fix that is supposed to cause the brakes to override the gas pedal? Because if so, I DON'T WANT IT. And I'd hate to have to avoid the Lexus Service, but if they have agreed to do it, or are ordered to do it by NHTSA, they will reflash it if you just take it in for an oil change without asking you.

This exact thing happened to me before on a Cadillac Seville. Cadillac had changed the fuel mapping and it was not meeting the approved emission limits. I took it in for an oil change, they reflashed the PCM, and it lost about 30 horsepower right then, forever.
Old 03-05-10, 04:45 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

If they ever did that to my car I'd sell it and never look back at a Toyota product ever again.
Old 03-05-10, 05:08 AM
Pmach
Rookie

Toyota/Lexus are now completing what they are calling a "safety improvement campaign" that can consist of multiple steps. I know for the Camry and most likely ES 350 they are modifying/shortening gas pedals, modifying/removing sound deadening material from the floor pan and installing a brake override feature via ECM flash. Essentially what the override system does is cut engine power if both the brake and gas pedals are both applied at speeds above 10KM/H.

To the OP - no dealership at any time is legally allowed to complete any work on a vehicle whether it is warranty, recalls, or customer pay without telling you first. In fact this "safety improvement campaign" is not actually considered a recall (at least in Canada). It is something people with the affacted vehicles can have done if they wish primarily for added confidence and safety in their cars. It is not ordered by an ministry as a requirement to have done. I also highly doubt the IS-F would be affacted.
Old 03-05-10, 09:28 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmach
I know for the Camry and most likely ES 350 they are modifying/shortening gas pedals, modifying/removing sound deadening material from the floor pan and installing a brake override feature via ECM flash.
I saw the coming, even when 'hanging' gas pedals are already too darn short. It just takes one idiot stacking 3 floor mats to cause this; unbelievable. They should be hinged from the floor, like BMWs IMO.

And that brake override should have been implemented since day 1 of DBW (drive-by-wire). No problem there.
Old 03-05-10, 10:30 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

And that brake override should have been implemented since day 1 of DBW (drive-by-wire). No problem there.
I disagree. The brakes can overpower the acceleration anyway. With this nanny-minder, you lose a critical element of corner control in the twisties or road course, (the ability to preload) if you are a left foot braker.
Old 03-05-10, 10:49 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the real problem with the ISF is intended acceleration anyways
Old 03-05-10, 03:04 PM
Pmach
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I disagree. The brakes can overpower the acceleration anyway. With this nanny-minder, you lose a critical element of corner control in the twisties or road course, (the ability to preload) if you are a left foot braker.
This is true. On Toyota Canada's website they have a video demonstrating how the brakes will overpower the engine whether or not it has the added brake override system installed.

Toyota Split Screen Braking Demo

Now I know they use a Corolla in the first demo but I'm sure the beefy brakes on the IS-F would do the same thing on that V8.
Old 03-05-10, 07:49 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

With the Camry’s throttle pinned while going 70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feet—that’s a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camry’s throttle closed. From 100 mph, the stopping-distance differential was 88 feet—noticeable to be sure, but the car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of confidence. We also tried one go-for-broke run at 120 mph, and, even then, the car quickly decelerated to about 10 mph before the brakes got excessively hot and the car refused to decelerate any further. So even in the most extreme case, it should be possible to get a car’s speed down to a point where a resulting accident should be a low-speed and relatively minor event.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tion-tech_dept