IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 12:08 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?

OMG so I just flip on the news and hear how Toyota has done an unprecendented move by suspending sales on over 10 models of cars due to the "runaway" car with accelerator sticking....

A few months back I remember Lexus dealers asking me to remove my floor mats for safety and I just kinda laughed...but this sticking accelerator is more serious.

Ironically my parents were going to by a RAV4 this past Saturday and thank god my dad decided to wait and think it over....(it's one of the cars being suspended)

Toyota as the parent company is really going to suffer huge financial loss and this doesn't even count how badly it will hurt their quality reputation.

They played the cell phone conversation of a family of 4 that said their car can't stop as they ran stoplights eventually resulting in their deaths...yikes!
Old 01-27-10, 12:54 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will, if Toyota/Lexus were smart they would have been trying to fix this. Reports of the problem is what led up to this and I think they really dropped the ball. Only thing left is to either design a better way to prevent the mats from slipping around or redoing the pedal.

I believe the pedal design is the same in the 3rd Gen GS as well, but I haven't seen any problems with my all season mats. I have them anchored down using the OEM anchors that are used with the stock mats.
Old 01-27-10, 07:03 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Yep. I poked it up on autoblog. It doesn't list any Lexus Models.

But they have been getting this complaint repeatedly. I think they were assuming it was the customers fault for not installing the mats properly.
Old 01-27-10, 07:42 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

still amazed at how ppl cant just put the car in neutral and shut off the car... Amazing...
I mean,,, if it was the firestone tire,, thats one thing,, but you gonna let your car just keep building up speed and run through SEVERAL lights???? seriously, you had that much time to just put it in neutral.......
Old 01-27-10, 07:58 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
still amazed at how ppl cant just put the car in neutral and shut off the car... Amazing...
I mean,,, if it was the firestone tire,, thats one thing,, but you gonna let your car just keep building up speed and run through SEVERAL lights???? seriously, you had that much time to just put it in neutral.......

I agree, I would have thought people would put in NEUTRAL or use just shut down the car worst case scenario!!!

In the case of the police officier with the ES who died with his family, apparently he did not know you had to hold down the ENGINE START for 3 SECONDS to shut off the car. The brakes fail if used in conjuction with full throttle from what I read which in BMW models shuts off the throttle automatically?
Old 01-27-10, 09:39 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I agree, I would have thought people would put in NEUTRAL or use just shut down the car worst case scenario!!!

In the case of the police officier with the ES who died with his family, apparently he did not know you had to hold down the ENGINE START for 3 SECONDS to shut off the car. The brakes fail if used in conjuction with full throttle from what I read which in BMW models shuts off the throttle automatically?
I believe the officer was doing 100+ mph in light traffic. A full 3 seconds with one hand on the wheel and you've travelled about 440ft. I'd say pushing the button is the worst approach not only for the less than ideal wheel handling, but you loose the power steering and brakes.

I assumed the brake failure was due to a lack of vacuum at full throttle. But C&D ran a similar test and was still able to stop the car C&D TEST. I'm sure there are a lot of variables to consider in a panic situation in traffic.
Old 01-27-10, 10:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

It's a sad situation, but seriously, switching into Neutral would have prevented continued acceleration...

Old 01-27-10, 10:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Man...some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. The only affected models are listed here. Note they are all North American made. NO LEXUS MODELS ARE AFFECTED.

The ISF is made exclusively in Japan as with all Lexus models except the RX350 which is made in Cambridge Ontario Canada and Japan.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia
Old 01-27-10, 10:59 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

its unfortunate what has happened to toyota. IMO, their reliability reputation shouldnt be harmed all that much because they are doing the right thing by not selling more of the affected models. that being said, im not sure as to why they continued to sell the models that were under recall even after the floor mat situation. hopefully it will be resolved soon.
my sister and i were car shopping around the CARS program, and we purchased a corolla, which i believe is one of the models being recalled. so, until everything is resolved and i have peace of mind that she can drive with it again.......she's driving my F.
Old 01-27-10, 11:23 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Man...some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. The only affected models are listed here. Note they are all North American made. NO LEXUS MODELS ARE AFFECTED.

The ISF is made exclusively in Japan as with all Lexus models except the RX350 which is made in Cambridge Ontario Canada and Japan.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia
But the car that the police officer was in that died was a Lexus ES. Is this correct?

Last edited by rukkus2IS; 01-27-10 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-10, 11:34 AM
cdxsuprace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rukkus2IS
But the car that the police officer was in that died was a Lexus ES. Is this correct?

Yup, it is an ES.
Old 01-27-10, 11:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yup an ES with an incorrect floormat installed in the car with no relation to the recall.
Old 01-27-10, 11:40 AM
NoVa-isF
Driver School Candidate

Yes but its a camry too...
Old 01-27-10, 12:32 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
its unfortunate what has happened to toyota. IMO, their reliability reputation shouldnt be harmed all that much because they are doing the right thing by not selling more of the affected models. that being said, im not sure as to why they continued to sell the models that were under recall even after the floor mat situation. hopefully it will be resolved soon.
my sister and i were car shopping around the CARS program, and we purchased a corolla, which i believe is one of the models being recalled. so, until everything is resolved and i have peace of mind that she can drive with it again.......she's driving my F.
look at hondas and their pos trannys in all their v6,,, still selling with all these known problems with their,, 3.2TL,, Mdx, Odyssey, v6 accords.......
Old 01-27-10, 01:06 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

my cousin swears by her accords...had five since the early 90's. always asking me to pick her up cuz her car wont start. so i kno what u mean. haha! but toyota has been like concrete- indestructible with its reliability reputation. hate to see this happen to this prestigious corporation.

Quick Reply: Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?