IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 09:53 AM
Tango1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
It's all about driving experience, your level of confidence behind the wheel and your reaction to the given events that happen.

When people panic and over compensate, it can lead to fatal results.

Given the CHP story, I would have thought he would have much more experience with a situation like that. It's all about panic reaction can you control it or not.

And no, lexus is not on the list. LOL

Every car manufacture has it's defects, Toyota and Lexus are not immune to that fact.

Glad to see they are taking action to fix the problem.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have a letter from Lexus Canada - "voluntary safety improvement campaign .... certain Lexus vehicles ...floor mat interference with accelerator .... you currently own a vehicle included in this campaign ....reconfigure or reshape the accelerator pedal ... supplemental function to the vehicle computer software .. brake override system which will cut engine power ..."

Seems to me like it's VERY MUCH involved, and also that "power launches" may no longer be possible. So much for tracking!

My dealer did claim that the software update would be optional and that I could decline - but I somehow doubt that will be the case.
Old 01-29-10, 11:16 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tango1
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have a letter from Lexus Canada - "voluntary safety improvement campaign .... certain Lexus vehicles ...floor mat interference with accelerator .... you currently own a vehicle included in this campaign ....reconfigure or reshape the accelerator pedal ... supplemental function to the vehicle computer software .. brake override system which will cut engine power ..."

Seems to me like it's VERY MUCH involved, and also that "power launches" may no longer be possible. So much for tracking!

My dealer did claim that the software update would be optional and that I could decline - but I somehow doubt that will be the case.
i think t0e was saying lexus isn't on the list of the most recent massive toyota recall that suspends the production of 8 north american made toyota models, which has to do with the CTS gas pedal.

certain lexus models are on the list of the floor mat/gas pedal reshape/brake override recall.

the two are unrelated.
Old 01-29-10, 11:51 AM
Tango1
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree. But there are many other posts that seem to indicate people think the IS-F and Lexus in general is far removed from all this kerfuffle. My aim was to try to show that it isn't - at least as far as Lexus Canada is concerned.

The other concern is the software update itself - which would seem to eliminate the ability to "power launch" the IS-F, and that is dear to the hearts of many IS-F owners and enthusiasts.
Old 01-29-10, 02:07 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AU_EE
I agree it's all blown out of proportion, but I don't think it has anything to do with some conspiracy to give Toyota a bad name to promote buying American. Shutting down production at all those American plants that make vehicles that happen to have a foreign name on them isn't helping our economy either. In addition to the (hopefully!) temporary job losses, people don't necessarily buy an American made American car when they pass on the Toyota that isn't even an option this weekend.

I wonder what % of all Toyota cars are / have been made in the US compared to, say, my (thankfully Sold!) POS Dodge Ram that was made in Me'hico
I know shutting down production at the American plants that happen to have a foreign name on it isn't helping our economy. But even if they didn't shut down, its not helping us either. It helps with jobs, so I guess it maybe helps out in that sense, but whatever the foreign company makes at those American plants, then sells after at dealerships near you, doesn't get counted in our GDP, it gets counted in their own country's GDP. (Toyota would be Japan). So just because you bought a Toyota that was made in America, that money you spent on that Toyota, goes to Japan's GDP. Not ours.

And we Americans buy so much stuff from overseas, especially China. We are helping out their economy by doing so, and China has been keeping their business in China, they are buying stuff from companies in China, so it keeps their money recirculating in their economy, which is good. I'm not saying they buy 100percent of their stuff from other Chinese companies, but a good amount.

Take for example, the Chevy commercials that are promoting all their new hybrids and what not. The cars they compare to is Toyota and/or Honda, they want people to buy American made Chevys over imports. That makes sense because if most of us were buying GM cars, they wouldn't be in trouble like how they are. And also, it keeps the money in the U.S. recirculating, and it adds to our GDP.

And now they blew this way out of proportion, and they are using the media to spread the word that Toyota has defective pedal assemblies or what not to scare people from buying Toyota. They are trying to take the number one company down. Doesn't it make sense?

... Toyota isn't even an option this weekend? I'm lost.. or maybe its just this tension headache i've had for 3 days now.
Old 01-29-10, 09:57 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by boosted86
... Toyota isn't even an option this weekend? I'm lost.. or maybe its just this tension headache i've had for 3 days now.
I could see that being confusing in hindsight - part of the announcement on the news was not just stopping production and recall, but not allowing dealerships to sell the affected vehicles that were in stock... so, for car buyers shopping this weekend, it's limited choice at the Toy dealerships...
Old 02-01-10, 03:48 PM
Tango1
Driver School Candidate

A quote from CNN's page today, attributed to Toyota's Lenz.

"The automaker has also said it is making "brake override" -- a system that cuts engine power to the wheels as soon as the brake pedal is pressed -- standard equipment on all of its cars."

I take it "all of its cars" includes the Lexus IS-F.
Old 02-01-10, 06:16 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tango1

What Lexus do you own? and when are you taking it in? keep us posted.
Old 02-01-10, 07:30 PM
Tango1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
What Lexus do you own? and when are you taking it in? keep us posted.
'09 IS-F. I will ignore the recall itself. Service isn't due yet - and will refuse the update at that time.