IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I LOVE my KWV3 coils ~ special thanks Exact and Circuit MS :)

Old 04-27-10, 05:05 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

While I agree with you the durability and fucntionality is outstanding on the KW, I think its hardly fair to be so hard on the BC when truthfully you did not test the proper spring rates and damping for the application. The problems you experienced were due to poor vendor support and not the product itself.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-28-10, 10:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
While I agree with you the durability and fucntionality is outstanding on the KW, I think its hardly fair to be so hard on the BC when truthfully you did not test the proper spring rates and damping for the application. The problems you experienced were due to poor vendor support and not the product itself.

Yes well said, I agree
Old 04-28-10, 10:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm sure enjoying those BC coils Rick !!!
Old 04-28-10, 10:56 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^ glad you are enjoying them man!

As FIG said, the BCR with the proper car/proper fitment works great. Just didn't work so hot on a heavy v8 motor car....
Old 05-12-10, 11:09 PM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the spring rates and how low can these go ?
Old 05-13-10, 06:09 AM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should be at 11 and 8. its remember the valving on these are superior to stiffen the ride up to super stiff. they go pretty low but i think 1.3 is there max according to KW do to the design of them. remember these are a single shock body and non adjustable stroke shock. An adjustable stroke or adjustable body shock can go lower but the scrubbing of the tire and less tire and shock travel too when you go to that shock. Stick with KW over all best setup.
Old 05-13-10, 08:23 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackdood
they should be at 11 and 8. its remember the valving on these are superior to stiffen the ride up to super stiff. they go pretty low but i think 1.3 is there max according to KW do to the design of them. remember these are a single shock body and non adjustable stroke shock. An adjustable stroke or adjustable body shock can go lower but the scrubbing of the tire and less tire and shock travel too when you go to that shock. Stick with KW over all best setup.
+1 The IS F has very limited shock travel even stock as do the KW's and the KW recommended max and minimum height has a very narrow window to allow maximum travel.

You can literally lower the car to have the rear tires inside the fenderwell and the front tires touching the wheel liner. If you're concerned about ride and handling you'll follow the KW specs. If you want to ride on the bump stops the KW's can do that too.
Old 03-12-11, 10:19 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HEWITT
What are the spring rates and how low can these go ?
I think some people don't realize how low my car is but I can barely slip a business card between the rear tire and the fender. (my fenders are not cut btw)

UPDATE: 1 year later....

So I thought I would give people a quick feedback after a full year of real world use. I never took the car to the track which was too bad as these coils are really worth every penny. They are so good I had these on my e46 m3 and will be my coils of choice for my next "toy" too!

Fenders were not cut or modified. Tires are 275.30.19 NITTO INVO tires. The brand of tire is important because every brand has it's own unique characteristics. The INVO tires are similiar to the Toyo T1r's as they have very contoured edges that give it a "stretched" look. In comparison a Yokohama tire looks "thick" if compared side-by-side.

When NITTO tires were first introduced I did not like them too much but decided to give the INVO line a try. They have been awesome so far - dry grip is amazing and I have yet to break them loose. They track really straight on highways and very quiet. In the rain it works just as well.

The coils on the other hand have been 100% trouble-free. The ride is firm for sure but easily better than stock. The car feels very planted and on off-camber bumps it settles the car quickly. Freeway sweepers just begs you to push the car. I love putting it in 2nd or 3rd gear and just pushing as it just sticks to the road. Any bumps are shrugged off by the car and never bottoms out. No scrapes, no noises - everything a high quality coilover should be!~

btw it does not matter if you plan to race, show or just DD the car, coilovers are the best investment you can make. Buy cheap, buy twice, I learned the hard way!

We recently took a trip to Portland which is about 700 miles each way on I5 past beautiful Mt. Shasta into the northwest. My buddy and I are both about 180 lbs, his fiance is 105 so with 3 people packed with luggage, the car ran like a true champ! I have the car adjusted for a slight "rake" look because I like the fender/tire ratio to be equal instead of a flat roof line. The rear never had the sagged look even with full luggage and fuel. Going up hill on the mountain few cars could keep up with us. Pesky Civics, VW and other ricers tried to chase us but to little use. The v8 was amazing and best of all we averaged 23mpg for most of the trip.

My friend's fiance said the ride was amazing soft - her only complaint was a slight drone from the back seat due to the JoeZ. However up front we never noticed this issue. It seems the JoeZ does have a slight drone from the rear seat but not apparent up front.

hope this helps you guys
rick

P.S. definitely NO 4x4 look here!

Last edited by s4play; 03-12-11 at 10:26 PM.